Belmont vs Dunbar 12/12 History????

did Dunbar not exist back in the May/Hosket era?

Yes!That Belmont team DESTROYED! everyone and went undefeated.
Belmont also beat Dunbar in 1992 at Dunbar led by Darnell Hahn 43 pts. that was the first time Hahn beat Richard "TuTu" Brown in high school.

I think BelmontBison was being facetious.
Dunbar was basically a middle of the pack city team until mass closings in 82' when they received most of Roth high school athletes(although in 71' they did reach state) then Dunbar was "THE" school in all sports. So historically Belmont has beat Dunbar several times but if you born after 1992 you haven't seen it much if at all.

Dunbar opened in 1933 it's now the oldest westside school.

Belmont also beat Dunbar in 1992 at Dunbar led by Darnell Hahn 43 pts. that was the first time Hahn beat Richard "TuTu" Brown in high school.

Dunbar was basically a middle of the pack city team until mass closings in 82' when they received most of Roth high school athletes(although in 71' they did reach state) then Dunbar was "THE" school in all sports. So historically Belmont has beat Dunbar several times but if you born after 1992 you haven't seen it much if at all.

I was told by the current coaching staff. Thanks for correcting me. First time in 25 years....

1964 Belmont team won a state title but wasn't undefeated. They lost one game to Chaminade during the regular season. Back then the westside school for hoops was Roosevelt. Chaminade played in the city league until about 1960 when they were basically invited out.

Yes!That Belmont team DESTROYED! everyone and went undefeated.....

Not true; the 1964 Belmont team lost 1 game (1-OT) during the regular season.
Their final record was 26-1. They pretty much destroyed every team they
played in the tournament.

Team members: John Ross, Head Coach.

Charlie Hook, Ralph Jukkola, Les Dunson, Mike Clodfelter, Ryan Zimmerman,
Ray Ridenour, Tim Kenner, Harry Culbertson, Bill Hosket, Don May

Belmont was the AP #1 team from the first poll until that OT loss to Dayton
Chaminade with about 3 weeks left in the season. Canton McKinley then took over
the #1 spot and was defeated that weekend by arch rival Massillon on a last
second shot that fell as time expired; Belmont regained the AP #1 spot.

Regional Final: defeated Urbana ~ 90-64
State Semi: Canton McKinley (AP rank #2) ~ 80-56 / Belmont set a foul shooting tournament record in that game that still stands today
State Final: Cleveland East ~ 89-60

Belmont Honors:
(Class AA)

OHSAA State Champions
All-Tournament Team: Bill Hosket, Don May
AP #1
AP All-OHIO
1st Team: Bill Hosket, Don May <=== (first time ever 2 from same school on 1st team )
AP-POY: Bill Hosket
AP-COY: John Ross

Team honored (team inducted as a unit) into the Ohio Basketball Hall Of Fame)
in 2013 ( http://ohiobasketballhalloffame.com/hall-of-fame/inductees/2013/dayton-belmont-hs-1964.html)

Note: Bill Hosket's father led Dayton Stivers to 3 state titles in 1928, '29, and '30;
the 1928 also defeated Canton McKinley in the State Final. Later he would tour with
the Waterloo Wonders when they 'barnstormed' after high school.

:>---

This post was brought to you by MTG

Last edited:
1964 Belmont team won a state title but wasn't undefeated. They lost one game to Chaminade during the regular season. Back then the westside school for hoops was Roosevelt. Chaminade played in the city league until about 1960 when they were basically invited out.

You're correct about the Chaminade game however, Chaminade left the City League in 1970.

I think they're a 12 win team at best the dynasty is over. Allen is a player, solid post game, Scates very athletic, only returning starter. Chuck Taylor the HC in a very unfortunate situation of "the man replacing the man". He has a young inexperienced team losing McConnell and Baker sealed the fate for Dunbar this season. Will be a long year for Dunbar standards.

State Semi: Canton McKinley (AP rank #2) ~ 80-56 / Belmont set a foul shooting tournament record in that game that still stands today

Belmont Honors:
(Class AA)

OHSAA State Champions
AP #1
AP All-OHIO
1st Team: Bill Hosket, Don May <=== (first time ever 2 from same school on 1st team)

Note: Bill Hosket's father led Dayton Stivers to 3 state titles in 1928, '29, and '30;
the 1928 also defeated Canton McKinley in the State Final. Later he would tour with

I saw Ralph Jukkola play when he was in high school. I was probably in the 6th or 7th grade then, and my dad took me to a lot of the high school games then. Jukkola is a Finnish name, and my dad is 100% of Finnish descent, so he pointed him out to me during the game, and also one time when he was sitting in the stands watching another game (there were multiple games played during tournament time).

Jukkola was really good (quick and fast), and also played with "Pistol" Pete Maravich at LSU.

I also remember seeing Don May, sitting in the front row stands watching his younger brother Ken May playing for Belmont. I remember Don May wearing a pullover sweater that was the same color shade and looked a lot like the one I wore a lot. Then when i would wear that sweater to school, it made me feel like I was Don May. :)

You're correct about the Chaminade game however, Chaminade left the City League in 1970.
I am a 1960 grad of Chaminade HS. Their last year in the City League was 1960-61.

I played at Cleveland Park with many of the Belmont 1964 players as did many players of the 1966 Chaminade State champions. I correctly predicted during the summer games that the Eagles would beat the Buson after watching them match up against each other during games at the park. While Belmont is certainly one of the greatest teams I would put the 1957 and 1956 Middletown teams with Jerry Lucas a little in front of them. All five players from their ‘56 team played Div 1 ball.

Belmont lost 1 regular season game that year.
Belmont was 26-1 that season, losing only in overtime to Chaminade (68-64).
Up until that loss to Chaminade, Belmont was ranked #1 in the A.P.Poll, the following Tuesday
the A.P. release had Can.McKinley #1 and Belmont #2. Then that weekend McKinley lost it's only
regular season game to arch rival Massillon (63-62) on a buzzer beater. Belmont & McKinley
flipped positions in the next A.P.Poll; In the last AP that year Belmont was #1 and McKinley #2.

Both teams advanced to the OHSSA Final-4 at St. Johns Arena and met in the late game of
the Semi-Finals. Belmont won 80-56. The Bisons set a couple of tournament records that night
(57 years ago) and at least 1 still stands today. (if you have a State Tournament program,
you can check it). Belmont defeated Cleveland East 89~60 in the Title game.

1964 Dayton Belmont...

84-58 over Oakwood
67-52 over Fairmont West
87-67 over Dayton Roth
101-69 over Fairborn
92-53 over Dayton Roosevelt
113-57 over Dayton Patterson
96-44 over Dayton Kiser
88-50 over Dayton Fairview
101-58 over Dayton Dunbar
79-60 over Portsmouth
64-68 overtime loss to Dayton Chaminade
98-48 over Lima
66-52 over Dayton Meadowdale
98-46 over Dayton Wilbur Wright
61-50 over Dayton Colonel White
82-63 over Dayton Stivers
85-64 over Toledo Libbey
67-47 over Middletown

SECTIONAL TOURNAMENT
75-43 over Oakwood
102-72 over Colonel White
73-44 over Fairmont West

DISTRICT TOURNAMENT
61-50 over Roth
56-48 over Fairview

REGIONAL TOURNAMENT
64-50 over Cincinnati Withrow
90-64 over Urbana

STATE TOURNAMENT
80-56 over Canton McKinley
89-60 over Cleveland East

SALT

Belmont Honors:
(Class AA)

OHSAA State Champions
AP #1
AP All-OHIO
1st Team: Bill Hosket, Don May <=== (first time ever 2 from same school on 1st team )

Team honored (team inducted as a unit) into the Ohio Basketball Hall Of Fame)
in 2013 ( http://ohiobasketballhalloffame.com/hall-of-fame/inductees/2013/dayton-belmont-hs-1964.html)

Mike Clodfelter any relation to Scott Clodfelter who played at Bethel, coached football at Beavercreek, Bethel and Carlisle and has a daughter who was a top player at Tipp City in girls basketball?

Not true. Chaminade was not in the City League ever in the 60s.
Check your facts buddy, Chaminade left DPS in the sixties as Chaminade High School. They lost the DPS League Football Championship to Colonel White led by Bill Gaines, 32-12 in what some DPS League historians call "the biggest football game ever in city league history" in 1961! If I doing my math correctly, I believe that was in the SIXTIES! They left the league shortly after that and became CHAMINADE-JULIENNE the early seventies 72' or 74' to be exact.

Check your facts buddy, Chaminade left DPS in the sixties as Chaminade High School. They lost the DPS League Football Championship to Colonel White led by Bill Gaines, 32-12 in what some DPS League historians call "the biggest football game ever in city league history" in 1961! If I doing my math correctly, I believe that was in the SIXTIES! They left the league shortly after that and became CHAMINADE-JULIENNE the early seventies 72' or 74' to be exact.
A far cry from your claim that Chaminade left in the early 70s or late 60s. After 61 is accurate, but barely. Your third attempt was correct. Not much to gloat about.

A far cry from your claim that Chaminade left in the early 70s or late 60s. After 61 is accurate, but barely. Your third attempt was correct. Not much to gloat about.
Not gloating just stating facts. In fact, I admitted that you were correct about 1970, DK if you saw that but it's a far cry from your claim posting, "... NOT IN THE CITY LEAGUE EVER IN THE 60'S". That was Totally wrong!

Not gloating just stating facts. In fact, I admitted that you were correct about 1970, DK if you saw that but it's a far cry from your claim posting, "... NOT IN THE CITY LEAGUE EVER IN THE 60'S". That was Totally wrong!
Fair enough, but I was off by a year. You were off by ten. Those early 60s Chaminade teams began the best decade ever for HS ball in Dayton. I love talking to others who remember those days.