All State Teams

So... Who is the kid that won D2 Player of the Year over Veverka? And I'd have to disagree with Hackworth over a few other guys

Sellan is the MH from St. Charles, He is young but a very good middle. Good size and reach but still young and his inexperience shows through in tough situations. Basically the only weapon St. Charles has now.

honestly dont understand the pick over a senior but both would deserve POY

People Really Are Overlooking The German Exchange Student At Middletown.

That Guy Is A Stud...
You Dont Get To Be Part Of The 4th Ranked Sand Amatuer Doubles Team In The World And Not Be Good At Indoor.
Hes A Very Solid Player....Just On An Absolute Trash Team.

I agree until the part about the trash team....come on man! Support the sport not disrespect it.

I was very impressed by Winters today. I would have no problem with him being on the 1st Team (I've never seen Hackworth play though so no opinion on who's better between those two).

Based on what I saw from them today, I would rank the All-State players from those 8 teams...

1. Carter Cassell 12 Mt. Vernon
2. Dylan Kembre 12 Lakota West
3. Andrew Winter 12 St. Edward
4. Owen McAndrews 10 St. Edward
5. Landen Hunter 12 Archbishop Moeller
6. Matt Harpenau 12 Elder
7. Mike Messina 12 St. Ignatius
8. Colin Ingram 12 Hilliard Darby
9. Tucker Skove 11 Archbishop Moeller
10. Chris Stanislovaitis 12 Lakota West
11. Ben Bennett 12 Mt. Vernon
12. Sam Sheers 12 Centerville
13. John Lucas 12 Elder

Winters did have an impressive showing today, but he was hitting against Elder's shortest and smallest block. Most of the time he hit right over the top of it and he only had a couple of times where he went vs Lucas. He was roofed twice by Harpenau and began to crumble as he was looked at to carry the team once McAndrews went down. I'm biased but I think harpenau should be higher like around the 3 or 4 spot. Maybe flip Harp and Winters IMO.

Harpenau didn't impress me against Darby - only a few blocks paired with a lot of hitting errors. He doesn't seem to carry his team emotionally either? But, I haven't seen a ton of him this season.

Sellan is the MH from St. Charles, He is young but a very good middle. Good size and reach but still young and his inexperience shows through in tough situations. Basically the only weapon St. Charles has now.

honestly dont understand the pick over a senior but both would deserve POY

Don't think many D2 coaches saw much of Veverka during the regular season. Maybe now they realize they probably didn't make the best choice.

Hope the Championship means more to him than POY, but I think he deserved both.

Harpenau didn't impress me against Darby - only a few blocks paired with a lot of hitting errors. He doesn't seem to carry his team emotionally either? But, I haven't seen a ton of him this season.

If you saw the finals you would change your mind in a heartbeat

If you saw the finals you would change your mind in a heartbeat

Correct, Harp was on fire in the finals.

So I saw him play 4 times this year and was impressed by him once. Still don't think that's enough in my book to make me think he should've been player of the year in the south.

I think you are slightly underrating him here. He had over 250 kills 100 blocks this year. That is POY material to me. I mean Hunter had the chance too. But i think Harp is deserving enough. You cant say that he is not deserving. Elder played 29 games this year. And a POY does not get that in 4 games.

Correct, Harp was on fire in the finals.

So I saw him play 4 times this year and was impressed by him once. Still don't think that's enough in my book to make me think he should've been player of the year in the south.

He came up big in the biggest game of his career, while Hunter (POY in the South) played well but not as well as Harp. That's what it takes to be POY in my mind...stepping up when your team needs it most.

He came up big in the biggest game of his career, while Hunter (POY in the South) played well but not as well as Harp. That's what it takes to be POY in my mind...stepping up when your team needs it most.

I also tend to prefer 6-rotation players over 3-rotation players. Hunter touches the ball nearly every time the ball comes over the net for Moeller. Harp does two things (hit and block) VERY well, but that's about it.

If I were drafting a team. Hunter would be my #1 pick.

Agreed. From all the games I saw this year, Id rank the players:

1. Cassel
2. Winter
3. Hunter
4. Kembre
5. Harp
6. Eckhoff
7. McAndrews

These were by far the biggest D1 standouts I saw.

Also, I thought the lefty from Hoban, Kunig (?) absolutely tore it up

They both played amazingly well this weekend. Definitely the two best DS/L at the tourney, but AJ absolutely played unbelievable

Yes he was fantastic in the tournament. Also, for next year watch out for Ryan Welch L from Elder. He was getting a lot of the Moeller balls up in the finals. He was really sharp on his passing and showed a lot of growth through the year. He is going to be a great player next year!

They both played amazingly well this weekend. Definitely the two best DS/L at the tourney, but AJ absolutely played unbelievable

AJ had a tremendous match in the semi's vs MtV and had a very solid match vs Elder. With that said someone pointed out to me early in the year that his serve receive passes are always "perfect" to the 10ft line. After watching him 3 times in the past three weeks I found it funny that it is actually true. The passes aren't bad but when passed to the 10 ft line it is tough to make a play to the middle. This was extremely noticeable in the championship match as the overwhelming majority of the sets were thrown outside or back to the opposite.

AJ had a tremendous match in the semi's vs MtV and had a very solid match vs Elder. With that said someone pointed out to me early in the year that his serve receive passes are always "perfect" to the 10ft line. After watching him 3 times in the past three weeks I found it funny that it is actually true. The passes aren't bad but when passed to the 10 ft line it is tough to make a play to the middle. This was extremely noticeable in the championship match as the overwhelming majority of the sets were thrown outside or back to the opposite.

His weakness is passing with his hands. If he perfects that part then he'll be unstoppable

Maybe the philosophy is different with guy's right now. I coached 8th grade girls a year ago and helped some of them before tryouts for their various schools. The girls that went to Ursula, Turpin, and McNick were told to practice passing the ball so the setter could set from the 10 foot line. I thought this was weird when told to help them perfect, this but this is what their coaches wanted them to learn in time for tryouts. Personally I think its still better to have the set about a foot or two off the net.

Exactly. I'm fairly sure the Moeller strategy is to avoid over-passes at all costs. Thus, if it's a tough serve, they're going to pass the ball to the 10-foot line to keep the ball in play and let their superior defense give them the best chance to win the point.

Whereas a team like Elder whose strength is their size and power would probably put higher emphasis on having 3 options in serve receive because they'd prefer to side out on their first swing.

Against Darby he had 14 kills to go with 9 blocks. :shrug: Sure he had a couple of errors but "a lot" is an exaggeration.

His stats for the tournament via EHSports.com
Vs St Eds: 13 kills 8 blocks
vs Darby: 14 kills 9 blocks
vs Moeller: 18 kills 9 blocks
Pretty consistent IMO.

Exactly. I'm fairly sure the Moeller strategy is to avoid over-passes at all costs. Thus, if it's a tough serve, they're going to pass the ball to the 10-foot line to keep the ball in play and let their superior defense give them the best chance to win the point.

Whereas a team like Elder whose strength is their size and power would probably put higher emphasis on having 3 options in serve receive because they'd prefer to side out on their first swing.

You may be correct, I'm not sure what Ulland teaches his team, but not many of the other players on the team passed to that spot. Most of them were within 2-4 ft of the net, which can still make the middle useful and effective.

Maybe it's that he didn't get excited, or I missed his better points, but I guess I stand corrected.

And, a good setter can run a 31 from the ten.

Maybe it's that he didn't get excited, or I missed his better points, but I guess I stand corrected.

And, a good setter can run a 31 from the ten.

Oh trust me I know this. Last year Elder ran that 100+ times in the final two weeks of the season with Jake Nieheisel. It was their bread and butter play. Too bad they didn't run in on Moe's match point at State last year. :blush:

Oh trust me I know this. Last year Elder ran that 100+ times in the final two weeks of the season with Jake Nieheisel. It was their bread and butter play. Too bad they didn't run in on Moe's match point at State last year. :blush:

I thought they did and he got roofed. :shrug: Or am i missing something?

If I remember correctly it wasn't a 31 it was just a 1 ball. I could be wrong as I try to block that play out sometimes. It sure was frustrating watching that ball hit the floor. I know how those Moe kids felt after the final block on Sunday.

I agree until the part about the trash team....come on man! Support the sport not disrespect it.

I Support & ACTIVELY Participate In The Sport More Than 99% of The People Youll Come Across...And Will Continue To Do So

Its Not Disrespecting The Sport To Say That An Amazingly Talented Kid Was Stuck Playing For A Sub-Par Team (At Best)
Thats Just Stating The Truth.
*Imagine If That Guy Had Transfered In To Sayyyy Lakota West....

Unless You're A Current Player Or Coach At Middletown....It's No Big Secret That The Middies Arent Any Good At All...
They Struggle Against Teams Like Dayton Carroll, Monroe & Fairborn (All Equally Unimpressive)

That German Guy And The Ullery Twins Are The Only 3 Good Players To Ever Really Come Out Of Middletown - Again. No Secrets.
It's Not Disrespecting If Its The Truth Man.