A Woman Ripped The 'Pressure To Tip' At Coffee Shops & TikTok Has So Many Horror Stories

15%???

Every where we go now, the starting suggested amount is 18%. Then 20% and 25%.

I've often wondered why the 15% standard was changed. It was an easy amount to figure out. I really do believe it was changed because of the lack of education in our country. Some people have a hard time understanding that 15% takes into account inflation over the years. Actually heard someone defending the new 18% because it was "time for a raise". 15% of $100 for a meal in 2022 is the raise over the 15% of $10 for a meal in 1980.
I'm with you, the percentage stays the same but wages would naturally follow inflation making the 15% higher over time.

I'm with you, the percentage stays the same but wages would naturally follow inflation making the 15% higher over time.
I feel cheap now but I usually stay close to the 15% out of principal.

What kills me more than anything is the place that doesn't offer full service but requests a full tip. I blame management more than the employees though. They know they are not a full service restaurant but they want to take advantage of low wages made up for by tips.

Restaurants have very tight margins. Most fail because of it. Without tipping, even more would fail because of the higher prices. Tip or stay home.

Restaurants have very tight margins. Most fail because of it. Without tipping, even more would fail because of the higher prices. Tip or stay home.
How does not tipping the waitress hurt the owner's profits?

Last edited: