A find on YouTube

Vincent and Regina

Looking around YouTube recently. I found the game film from Findlay for the 2002 Final four game. I think this is one of the biggest games in Elder Football history, but it is often overlooked because of the State Title win the next week.

I am watching the game and forgot how many people we had there. I do remember us raising a stink about how we sold 12,000 tickets to the Regional Championship at UC vs Colerain. OH$AA with all of their wisdom then tried to put the next game in an 11,000 seat stadium where we would have to split the tickets. We sold enough pre-sale OH$AA knew they would make money if they moved the game and we got the game at Crew.

If I remember correctly, Glatthaar behind Elder’s massive offensive line and fullback Pat Lysaght put together an 8 or 9 minute drive to put the game away in the fourth.

Last edited:
You are correct. That drive was just pounding the ball down the field. Elder could have scored, but knelt it on the last few plays. I have a visual memory, so watching this film that was shot from the other side of the field was a little strange. I remember the drive going to my right, but in this video that drive was going to the left.

I find these later playoff games cool. We played and beat Findlay and Dublin Sciota late in the playoffs in 02 and 03, and then never played them again. Same with Hilliard Darby and Lima Senior. The Darby game doesn't bother me as much since we won, but I have a special dislike for Lima Senior because we never got to get a rematch.

I'll second that great find. I was 11 and unfortunately this was the only game I missed during the '02 & '03 seasons. I remember my family was painting my brothers room that night and we were listening to the PSRN broadcast. Only videos I ever saw from this game were the highlights from EHSports so it's awesome to go back and watch this one.

Take notice of how much the game has changed. Ironic, Findlay was a bit a head of the curve with their Spread Offense. I don’t think you’ll ever see the I Formation Power Run type of Football ever again.

You are correct. That drive was just pounding the ball down the field. Elder could have scored, but knelt it on the last few plays. I have a visual memory, so watching this film that was shot from the other side of the field was a little strange. I remember the drive going to my right, but in this video that drive was going to the left.

I find these later playoff games cool. We played and beat Findlay and Dublin Sciota late in the playoffs in 02 and 03, and then never played them again. Same with Hilliard Darby and Lima Senior. The Darby game doesn't bother me as much since we won, but I have a special dislike for Lima Senior because we never got to get a rematch.

We played Lima Senior a few times back in the late 80's early 90's.......they were famous for throwing rocks at our bus when we went to their place.....so don't really miss notplaying them anymore.

Nothing will be like the 2001-2003 seasons in Elder football history.
Totally agree.............after we lost to X in 2001 at UC, I thought to myself, "man, that was it.....that was the best team that I could remember in Elder history and we couldn't beat X......we'll never get to the state title game!".......and then, the next two years happened............

I still maintain the 2001 team was better (especially defensively) but just lost two coin-flip games to X.

2001 beat the #1 team in the state three times that season.

Take notice of how much the game has changed. Ironic, Findlay was a bit a head of the curve with their Spread Offense. I don’t think you’ll ever see the I Formation Power Run type of Football ever again.

That style fit Elder very well. Part of me wants to see more of that from Elder, but I understand the game has changed and it is hard to argue against Ramsey's scheme.

That style fit Elder very well. Part of me wants to see more of that from Elder, but I understand the game has changed and it is hard to argue against Ramsey's scheme.

Not going to happen. Football is now geared on high powered Offense, which means spreading out the field, and running a lot of plays in an up tempo style. You still see the Power Run game, but it’s modified from the Pistol Formation.

We played Lima Senior a few times back in the late 80's early 90's.......they were famous for throwing rocks at our bus when we went to their place.....so don't really miss notplaying them anymore.
Haha. I have a friend that played on those teams that played Lima Senior. He told me about the rocks too.

Lima Senior was a founding member of the GMC. They were always in Cincy playing teams like Fairfield, Princeton, Hamilton, and the Lakotas. They didn't leave the GMC until teams like Colerain and Oak Hills joined and they didn't want to make that drive every other year.

I still maintain the 2001 team was better (especially defensively) but just lost two coin-flip games to X.

2001 beat the #1 team in the state three times that season.
There were more than a couple seasons where Elder had teams capable of bringing hardware home before '02/'03.

Was it '95 or '96 that lost to Lima Senior in the Semifinals?
Then '99 the big comeback against Centerville, but lost to Wayne in the who took out X the week prior.
X would beat Elder in '01 then get absolutely destroyed in the Championship Game against Ignatius, who Elder beat in the regular season by a couple scores.