5K distance in high school XC?

I've started a Top 20 list for our high school cross country program (Ohio). Currently there is only 1 time listed on the records board. It's from 1980. Would this have been a 5K? Or another distance?

I've started a Top 20 list for our high school cross country program (Ohio). Currently there is only 1 time listed on the records board. It's from 1980. Would this have been a 5K? Or another distance?
More information is needed, but from 1977-1981, the standard race distance for HS XC was 2.5 miles. At least that was the distance contested during the tournament. 5k became the standard distance in 1982.

What was the time displayed on your records board?

15:45. Time seems legit, just wasn't sure of the distance being in 1980. I'll keep digging, not sure if I can track down the course.

15:45. Time seems legit, just wasn't sure of the distance being in 1980. I'll keep digging, not sure if I can track down the course.
Feel free to PM me the runner's name and school, and I might be able to dig something up for you.

Maybe the runner had an opportunity to run a 5k somewhere during the year, but my initial reaction is that perhaps somebody extrapolated the runner's 5k time based on a 2.5 mile performance, as ridiculous and unconventional as that may seem.

Last edited: