2023 St. Edward Football

Cough cough hate to be that guy but no outside the kids in band or their parents care at all ……. Honestly the band is embarrassingly small always has been.
I'd notice the band missing (and do when they are not there) more than I noticed the cheerleading. Honestly, the kids at the games seem to be loud and cheering without the cheerleaders. I think if we had more male cheerleaders over the past 30 years you could make the argument that the school should keep them but that hasn't really been the case. Comparing it to the band, it seems that there are always at least as many males as females from the years I have been attending games. From what has been shared, it also sounds like Ed's is open to having cheerleaders just not the liability and if Mags and Joe's wanted to take it on, they could.

Talking about football, Rock Creek seems to have gotten better each year we have played them. I know there is a urge to compare them to Bishop Sycamore and while I think the motivation for this institution does seem to be "Come here and we will get you a scholarship in football or basketball" they are accredited by a couple associations and associated with a Church. Now of course any website can lie but legally speaking that's pretty much the same as most Catholic schools have (accredited by associations and affiliated with a church).

I am interested to see how the team handles the high they are on. Faced some adversity against a really good team in Good Counsel to really shine through in the 2nd half. I think Rock Creek could come out and surprise us but the only thing that could stop us from winning is ourselves and our mentality. I'd be curious to ask coaches how the week at practice went. Playing on Sunday and then now another game tomorrow, they are just slightly off their routines too.

I'd notice the band missing (and do when they are not there) more than I noticed the cheerleading. Honestly, the kids at the games seem to be loud and cheering without the cheerleaders. I think if we had more male cheerleaders over the past 30 years you could make the argument that the school should keep them but that hasn't really been the case. Comparing it to the band, it seems that there are always at least as many males as females from the years I have been attending games. From what has been shared, it also sounds like Ed's is open to having cheerleaders just not the liability and if Mags and Joe's wanted to take it on, they could.

Talking about football, Rock Creek seems to have gotten better each year we have played them. I know there is a urge to compare them to Bishop Sycamore and while I think the motivation for this institution does seem to be "Come here and we will get you a scholarship in football or basketball" they are accredited by a couple associations and associated with a Church. Now of course any website can lie but legally speaking that's pretty much the same as most Catholic schools have (accredited by associations and affiliated with a church).

I am interested to see how the team handles the high they are on. Faced some adversity against a really good team in Good Counsel to really shine through in the 2nd half. I think Rock Creek could come out and surprise us but the only thing that could stop us from winning is ourselves and our mentality. I'd be curious to ask coaches how the week at practice went. Playing on Sunday and then now another game tomorrow, they are just slightly off their routines too.
If it's a liability issue with the cheerleaders, I completely understand. The floor routines some of those girls do on the hardwood during breaks are truly amazing, but boy does it look like it would hurt if something went sideways.

I have seen Eds play twice, Hoban play once and have not had a chance to see Massillon play. I plan on going to Eds games with both Hoban and Massillon. As far as comparing those teams right now it is very difficult. When Hoban played Eds last year, their quarterback played poorly, and Hobans defense couldn't stop St Eds quarterback.He killed them more with his running ability extending plays and gaining key first down drives. Then when Hoban targeted the quarterback in the second half, they gave the ball to the stud running back. Hoban couldn't stop the run all night. Do they have a better quarterback and a better dline this year to slow Eds down and a quarterback that can both run and pass at a high level? I don't know. Time will tell.
As good of a program as Hoban has become, they're almost always going to be at a disadvantage vs Eds when it comes to depth and experience. You'll get a rare year every so often like 2020 where Hoban was senior laden and Eds was in a bit of a roster transition, but pure #'s wise, Hoban's program isn't near the size of Ed's, and they usually need sophomores and a couple freshmen to play meaningful snaps. I think Hoban is better overall than they were last year, even without Sperling, but I believe Eds is probably still 14+ points better by the time you get to late October. I also think playing that game in week 10 saps some of the juice out of it.

As good of a program as Hoban has become, they're almost always going to be at a disadvantage vs Eds when it comes to depth and experience. You'll get a rare year every so often like 2020 where Hoban was senior laden and Eds was in a bit of a roster transition, but pure #'s wise, Hoban's program isn't near the size of Ed's, and they usually need sophomores and a couple freshmen to play meaningful snaps. I think Hoban is better overall than they were last year, even without Sperling, but I believe Eds is probably still 14+ points better by the time you get to late October. I also think playing that game in week 10 saps some of the juice out of it.
Poor Hoban. They're only beating the snot out of everyone else in their path and making the title game every year.

And the sophomores and freshmen you reference are all future stars, 6'7 monsters, or kids that 99% of programs would feature as their best player.

Yes, Eds is better and will beat Hoban by 14. So the top program in D1 is superior. I just Hoban will be ok with their lack of depth. Those bench kids are all tiny and slow.

Please. Zero sympathy

Poor Hoban. They're only beating the snot out of everyone else in their path and making the title game every year.

And the sophomores and freshmen you reference are all future stars, 6'7 monsters, or kids that 99% of programs would feature as their best player.

Yes, Eds is better and will beat Hoban by 14. So the top program in D1 is superior. I just Hoban will be ok with their lack of depth. Those bench kids are all tiny and slow.

Please. Zero sympathy
Eds I agree most likely has the size, depth and numbers advantage. Often times though a great quarterback can level the playing field. The 5 state championship teams Hoban had were much better than the last 2 years the quarterbacks Hoban has. St Eds has a very good quarterback who is a really good runner and passer. The jury is still out on this year's quarterback.

Eds I agree most likely has the size, depth and numbers advantage. Often times though a great quarterback can level the playing field. The 5 state championship teams Hoban had the quarterbacks were really good both as runners and passers.St Eds has a very good quarterback who is a really good runner and passer. The jury is still out on this year's Hobans quarterback.

Please. Zero sympathy
Overreact much? We were talking about this specific matchup, not the big picture. My point was to express what a juggernaut Eds has become, and as good as Hoban is, the programs are not the same. Yes, Hoban is doing just fine, obviously an L to Eds doesn't matter in the grand scheme of their season.

Eagles looked good again against a tricky opponent. Rock Creek seems to have the speed but not the size and it only took them a couple of plays to show that off. Their receivers were good and I thought their quarterback made some good throws over the middle. The game really was never in doubt although some offensive sloppiness needs to be cleaned up on our end. Two forced throws turned into int's and there was a botched snap that we recovered. Luckily they did not matter much in this game but better teams could make us pay for that. Running clock in the 4th quarter gave a ton of back ups reps and snaps which is always good.

Elder is always a tough game. They make our defense work, usually they aren't as fast but they are organized and their quarterback knows what to do. I'd love to see sustained drives from our offense and the defense to be tested but respond like they did against Good Counsel again.

Eagles looked good again against a tricky opponent. Rock Creek seems to have the speed but not the size and it only took them a couple of plays to show that off. Their receivers were good and I thought their quarterback made some good throws over the middle. The game really was never in doubt although some offensive sloppiness needs to be cleaned up on our end. Two forced throws turned into int's and there was a botched snap that we recovered. Luckily they did not matter much in this game but better teams could make us pay for that. Running clock in the 4th quarter gave a ton of back ups reps and snaps which is always good.

Elder is always a tough game. They make our defense work, usually they aren't as fast but they are organized and their quarterback knows what to do. I'd love to see sustained drives from our offense and the defense to be tested but respond like they did against Good Counsel again.
Thanks for the post. I missed the game, anyone have any other details?

I enjoy reading you Eds guys talk yourselves into how tough your next opponent is.

"Have to be on our game..."

Let's again look at reality-

Eds is SO much better than all of D1 this year. Multiple TDs better.

Unless a perfect storm his NEO, Eds won't be challenged this season. Or the playoffs, or the title game.

Just enjoy it. Your team is really good and most of D1 is really bad.

Last edited:
I enjoy reading you Eds guys talk yourselves into how tough your next opponent is.

Eds is SO much better than all of D1 this year. Multiple TDs better. I

Unless a perfect storm his NEO, Eds won't be challenged this season. Or the playoffs, or the title game.

There were many years where we thought we were the best team in the state and continuously came up short. That paranoia persists to today. There are many games (especially against you guys) where I go "I've seen the ending to this movie before and it's not good". Yes there's a lot of winning recently, but the older Eagle faithful know that it wasn't always easy.

I agree that R1 is terrible, and I honestly think the only R1 team that could beat Eds is Ignatius.

There were many years where we thought we were the best team in the state and continuously came up short. That paranoia persists to today. There are many games (especially against you guys) where I go "I've seen the ending to this movie before and it's not good". Yes there's a lot of winning recently, but the older Eagle faithful know that it wasn't always easy.

I agree that R1 is terrible, and I honestly think the only R1 team that could beat Eds is Ignatius.

I suppose stranger things have happened, but I don’t see it in the cards this year for the Cats by any stretch of the imagination. This week should be interesting though. Always leery of Elder in the Pit. Are we favorites…certainly…but such was the case in 2014 with a loaded team as well.

Eds is SO much better than all of D1 this year. Multiple TDs better.

🤷🏻‍♂️, Ohio is deff down this year in regards to div 1 across the board….. that being said , Massillon and Hoban are no easy games and just like last year mistakes can happen.

I suppose stranger things have happened, but I don’t see it in the cards this year for the Cats by any stretch of the imagination. This week should be interesting though. Always leery of Elder in the Pit. Are we favorites…certainly…but such was the case in 2014 with a loaded team as well.
Omar is leading a boycott of your fans over in the Elder forum 😂

It's not in the cards. That game will be a blowout like last year. Please, no one tell me to throw out the records when these schools play.

Not this year.

Elder is always a tough place. Remember last year was just a 3 point win for the Eagles. The Eagles MUST cut down on the int's. 6 in the first three games. That could come back and haunt the team. One good thing, we have yet to see the full potential of this offense. There are so many weapons. Right now its a pretty balanced working offense. Nobody is getting overworked. The defense will have to be disciplined against Elder they can dink and dunk you to death.

Elder is always a tough place. Remember last year was just a 3 point win for the Eagles. The Eagles MUST cut down on the int's. 6 in the first three games. That could come back and haunt the team. One good thing, we have yet to see the full potential of this offense. There are so many weapons. Right now its a pretty balanced working offense. Nobody is getting overworked. The defense will have to be disciplined against Elder they can dink and dunk you to death.
I'm fine with the interceptions because it shows we're fine with actually throwing the ball for a change. Casey was too smart last year, he didn't want to make any mistakes and the coaching staff allowed the run game to win the title. That's fine, but you run the risk of the kid getting hurt running over and over. There's way too much talent on the team to be running the option every play with the one off throw to Kyan.

I'll give you Massillon, but Eds will beat Hoban like last season.
It's all the way they match up. Eds beat Hoban 41 to 20. Massillon beat Eds 31 to 28. If you go by those scores you would guess Massillon would handle Hoban Final score Hoban 41 Massillon 20.That is why they play the games.

Nobody beats Ed's this year.
Probably so but you still have to do it on the field. I've seen teams in sports in my lifetime who were great and somehow still got shockingly upset on a given day or night. Eds is a great team this year and I wouldn't bet against them but nothing is 100% assured except death and taxes.

It's not in the cards. That game will be a blowout like last year. Please, no one tell me to throw out the records when these schools play.

Not this year.
You’re like Nostradamus telling everyone how it is and how it’s going to end. “Please, no one tell me to throw out the records when these schools play.” Are you serious? Then why should they even play the game?

All you do is post how great St. Edward is and how bad everybody else is, including your school, St. Ignatius. Nobody has a chance. The season is already over. It’s tiring and old.

I bet Wildcat Nation love seeing you post here. You sure don’t help the cause.

You’re like Nostradamus telling everyone how it is and how it’s going to end. “Please, no one tell me to throw out the records when these schools play.” Are you serious? Then why should they even play the game?

All you do is post how great St. Edward is and how bad everybody else is, including your school, St. Ignatius. Nobody has a chance. The season is already over. It’s tiring and old.

Every fanbase has negative posters.🤷🏻‍♂️

Eds wins easily this year.

Ignatius will be lucky to win 3 games.

Last edited:
Through three weeks, still an unfinished product on the field. Big plays on O are available, but still have not been able to execute the same. A Regovich add on D could help defend the run game up the middle. Overall, still a very good win with a new test this weekend... road trip into a terrific HS football environment against a storied program. New challenge for this staff to motivate the young men.

Go Eagles!