2023 St. Edward Football

Again, Eds will win every game this season comfortably. GC made it interesting for a half.

There is no stopping the Eagles this year.

GC will be the best teams Ed’s plays all season TBH.
Team? Maybe talent-wise, yes. They were not a great team.

Massillon and Hoban are great teams. Sure they don't have GC's D1 guys ( well maybe Hoban is close) but they are really good.

GC had one guy on offense who was affecting the game. Their other play was throwing the ball down the sidelines to the FSU recruit.

Massillon and Hoban are great teams. Sure they don't have GC's D1 guys ( well maybe Hoban is close) but they are really good.

GC had one guy on offense who was affecting the game. Their other play was throwing the ball down the sidelines to the FSU recruit.
I think Massillon and Hoban have the lines to slug it out with Eds. Then it comes down to how good the quarterbacks play. Who knows. That is why they play the games.

I agree to a point. I attended the game and I can say (up close) OLGC were a really talented team. I think one overlooked aspect was this was OLGC's first game. That (likely) contributed to their sloppy first half play. But don't think OLGC was a bunch of talented players with no organization or discipline. They were very well coached. They compete in a top National East Coast conference.
I had a chance to talk with of their coaches just after halftime. He talked to me about the competition they face with the other National privates on the East Coast; DeMatha (Hyattsville) and St John's (Buckeystown) that are always at or near the top of the national food chain.
He told me he loved the atmosphere at Lakewood. (I wish he could have experienced Massillon or the Pit at Elder) but he said the team loved the opportunity to come and compete.
I agree Massillon and Hoban will be better challenges for Eds. We may lose to both, but win or lose, playing them makes Ed's better in week 11.
I always say playing Massillon and Hoban is the best preparation for Ed's going into week 11. And the atmosphere at Massillon is unmatched.

Again, Eds will win every game this season comfortably. GC made it interesting for a half.

There is no stopping the Eagles this year.
They are for sure a monster. .. lol, was up in West Park watching with a bunch of my Ed's people. ... it is what it is (expectations are just that high) but they were complaining about how the Eagles were struggling, especially in the first half.

First world problems when 28-7 against another top 25 team in the country is "struggling"

Great win! 2nd half was something special. The big drive to start things off set the tone. I was pretty worried that we had met our match after the first half as I thought it was a matter of time until their running back wore down our defense (and they were close in the first half!) and broke off a run or their big receiver had a huge catch. Some turning points in the game:

Call it first game issues but OLGC turned the ball over at the worst times. The bad snap turned into an Ed's touchdown and a botched handoff stopped their best drive at a time in the game where it looked like they were giving it to the Eagles pretty well.

Special teams! Ed's blocked a punt and OLGC gave up poor field position several times outside of that. After Ed's opening 2nd half drive, a 4 yard punt gave the Eagles the ball at maybe the 9? Ed's went up 2 scores and dominated the game after that.

Illegal procedure call in the first half killed a touchdown for the Falcons. That I think was the same drive they fumbled the handoff on a few plays later.

Eagle running backs kept at it. Eventually the run game did what it needed to and I was impressed with Groudle and White as well as Bullock who we already knew could run.

It seemed like their running back and qb got banged up in the 2nd half, both either missed drives or plays they usually would have been in on.

I loved seeing this matchup, it was a slug fest. No trick plays, nothing fancy, just our best against their's and let's play. Happy for the win and the experience for our younger guys. Need to keep their heads on straight after two big wins to open the season.

Great win against a quality opponent this past Sunday. Eagle's D cleaned up assignments in the 2nd half that led to much better performance and the O began to run the ball with authority in quarters 3 and 4 as well. Capitalizing on turnovers and getting great field position can make the difference against quality opponents and lead to victory.

The O has demonstrated big play opportunities are available. I expect them to convert on the same as the season matures.

Go Eagles!

Congratulations and Impressive by Ed's. Hoban and Massillon should be tests but even if the eagles lose one of those which I don't think they will, they are the clear favorites for the threepeat. Both lines are just outstanding and the LB's I was very impressed with. The offensive play calling in the second half was outstanding IMO. Even great teams can lose in the regular season . It just takes an off day. I'm not seeing any evidence of that though but you never know.

Congratulations and Impressive by Ed's. Hoban and Massillon should be tests but even if the eagles lose one of those which I don't think they will, they are the clear favorites for the threepeat. Both lines are just outstanding and the LB's I was very impressed with. The offensive play calling in the second half was outstanding IMO. Even great teams can lose in the regular season . It just takes an off day. I'm not seeing any evidence of that though but you never know.
I have seen Eds play twice, Hoban play once and have not had a chance to see Massillon play. I plan on going to Eds games with both Hoban and Massillon. As far as comparing those teams right now it is very difficult. When Hoban played Eds last year, their quarterback played poorly, and Hobans defense couldn't stop St Eds quarterback.He killed them more with his running ability extending plays and gaining key first down drives. Then when Hoban targeted the quarterback in the second half, they gave the ball to the stud running back. Hoban couldn't stop the run all night. Do they have a better quarterback and a better dline this year to slow Eds down and a quarterback that can both run and pass at a high level? I don't know. Time will tell.

I was surprised that St. Ed's got rid of the cheerleaders. I thought they did a great job. Was there a problem?
I know the longtime coach, Gretchen Ludwig, took a similar position at another school. Trouble finding a new coach perhaps? Something else?

I know the longtime coach, Gretchen Ludwig, took a similar position at another school. Trouble finding a new coach perhaps? Something else?
My understanding was she informed the school in the fall that she was leaving. In the spring they told the parents that St. Eds would not be fielding cheerleading teams going forward. This was a school decision. Something about Joe's and Mag's school would be responsible going forward. I feel bad for the members that have been with the school all these years.

My understanding was she informed the school in the fall that she was leaving. In the spring they told the parents that St. Eds would not be fielding cheerleading teams going forward. This was a school decision. Something about Joe's and Mag's school would be responsible going forward. I feel bad for the members that have been with the school all these years.
There's bringbackst.edscheer on Instagram so I sent a message. The school said it's for insurance reasons since the girls are not St. Ed's students and St. Joes/Mags are not willing to take it on.

It's a shame. We've had cheerleaders from the girl's schools for well over 50 years. Not sure what changed.

Last edited:
This will mark the 3rd consecutive year of playing Rock Creek Christian (MD), one of these upstart "academy" programs. Previous results have been 56-18 in 2021 and 37-6 last year. They opened up last week with a 34-21 win over St. Mary's Ryken out of the Washington Catholic Conference and appear to be getting incrementally more competitive in that area since their inception. They do look to have a number of future FBS players on the roster (mostly in their junior class), headlined by '25 WR Giyahni Kontosis who accounted for 4 Td's and 206 yards receiving last week. I imagine Cam Boone will draw that assignment where he will look to build on the great effort he had against the FSU commit Moore.

There's bringbackst.edscheer on Instagram so I sent a message. The school said it's for insurance reasons since the girls are not St. Ed's students and St. Joes/Mags are not willing to take it on.

It's a shame. We've had cheerleaders from the girl's schools for well over 50 years. Not sure what changed.

If true, what a horrible decision by the admin....

I’m fine with it. It was always a bit weird having an extracurricular activity that was 99.5% primarily non-students over those 50 years. Not worth the liability.
What about the band which has been half girls from Mags and Joe's for years or the majorettes that twirl the flags with them. I'm with Genco, bad decision! Have ALL the girls sign waivers that the school is not responsible if they are injured.

What about the band which has been half girls from Mags and Joe's for years or the majorettes that twirl the flags with them. I'm with Genco, bad decision! Have ALL the girls sign waivers that the school is not responsible if they are injured.
Cough cough hate to be that guy but no outside the kids in band or their parents care at all ……. Honestly the band is embarrassingly small always has been.