2023-24 Ohio State Basketball

Mahaffey is terrible. Where is Scotty Middleton?? Team really needs to find a way to get explosive drives to the rim, maybe they don't have the personnel to do it but they cannot rely only on the 3 point shot.

It’s a league game. They are usually tight. This one really wasn’t. Ask Purdue what happens when you take a league game for granted.
I forgot that Purdue should be what OSU should strive towards being. Getting knocked off in the first round by a 16 seed and all.

Lol. Imagine saying "OSU should not aspire to be like the #1 ranked team." Unbelievable.

I was busy getting my weekly groin kick watching the Browns, so I was following the first half on my phone. My two cents:

- The starting 5 cannot have 2 guys that are primarily defensive players. Okpara needs to keep starting, so I would start Middleton over Mahaffey, and let Mahaffey come off the bench as a defensive stopper.

- We saw Zed and Okpara on the floor together a little bit. I could see more of that to find out if it can work. I would think that the offensive rebounding / put backs might make it worthwhile, as long as the other team has two bigs to guard like Minny had.

- Best backcourt in the Big Ten?

- This team shoots so much better than last years team. Thornton and Gayle clearly improved their shot, Battle > Sueing, Bonner > Ahrens, Mahaffey = Likekele, Middleton > anyone else not named Sensabaugh.

Ranked #25 in the coaches poll with important non-league games this month against UCLA and WVU. Neither team is great this year, but both will look good on an NCAA tourney resume come March.
UCLA - Yes
WVU - No, they are terrible. OSU really owes them though because they have owned OSU in recent memory.

OSU plays Miami Ohio Wed. night, 30 years ago that would have been a good game, but Miami has really fallen since then, maybe it was the name change.

OSU plays Miami Ohio Wed. night, 30 years ago that would have been a good game, but Miami has really fallen since then, maybe it was the name change.
I’ve never pulled for Miami in anything since the name change. Same with Marquette when they dropped Warriors for Golden Eagles. A golden shower upon all the weenie schools that went PC and tossed away tradition.

Wow. Classic Holtmann loss on the road to a crappy Penn State team. Watched an 18 point lead melt to six before calling a timeout. He was holding on to the timeouts like he gets a bonus for not stopping the clock.

Like the football team the problem is on the defensive side of the ball, Holtmann teams have never been good defensively. Got some players who can shoot, good pg but how about playing some D, too many open jumpers by PSU, give them credit for making them but get on top of them esp. O'Boyle he is not going to put the ball on the floor and drive to the bucket. Other issue too many TO's, Thornton with one, rest of the team 15 for a total of 16.

Fortunately for Holtmann, the BIG is down somewhat this year, OSU should at least finish above 500 in league play if not it will be adios for Holtmann with a new AD coming in.

I was about to go to Atlanta next weekend and watch the team play. No way now, not spending my money on this trash.

Like the football team the problem is on the defensive side of the ball, Holtmann teams have never been good defensively. Got some players who can shoot, good pg but how about playing some D, too many open jumpers by PSU, give them credit for making them but get on top of them esp. O'Boyle he is not going to put the ball on the floor and drive to the bucket. Other issue too many TO's, Thornton with one, rest of the team 15 for a total of 16.
I agree the D was the issue in the 2nd half. But it has been good most of the year. They clamped down on Alabama and Santa Clara very well. Yesterday they got the big lead, both the players and the coaches relaxed, and then suddenly PSU could not miss. I'm still pretty high on this team. Hopefully Middleton's ankle is not as bad as it looked.

Funny how quiet this thread was for a few weeks. Then a bad loss and all the usual cry babies show up to complain. Hopefully it is quiet again for a few weeks - that would mean a winning streak...

And the ones that can are zeros offensively like Mahaffery