2023-2024 General Discussion

Well judging by your stupidity, the Ohio state one wasn't exactly complicated ...

You said March Madness wins. He has zero. Same as us... Comment was clearly in jest

Plenty have agreed with my assessment for the same reasons on it not being easy to win at BYU

You have some grudge against me so you are trying to come after me. Just move on with your little act.
Ok Captain Comeback. I’ll leave you alone. You can’t take the heat, so stay out of the kitchen

As a UK fan since I knew what a basketball was, I'll admit I wasn't impressed with this hire, but I'm willing to give it a shot. The UK job is not the slam dunk taj mahal job it was 15 years ago. Other blue blood powers hired former players and it's worked out so far. Pope at least has some experience and should find recruiting easier with the UK brand, although it has tarnished in recent years. A couple of donors have also thrown in $4M for NIL deals, so I expect him to get to work immediately and shape this roster. Pope is good friends with Jeff Sheppard, maybe that'll convince Reed to stick around. Bring back Onyenso, Ivisic, retain a couple recruits and hit the transfer portal and next year may not look so bad for UK. UK took a chance years ago when the Rupp era ended with little known Joe B Hall and he was tremendous for the program. Hopeful lightning will strike twice.

How good was Hurley at Rhode Island? Pedestrian at best for several years before finally breaking through to get to and win a tourney game. It took him several years to get UConn rolling. Every coach has minimal success on their resume before getting a chance on the big stage. I would think Pope is walking into a significantly better situation at UK than Hurley did at RI or UConn.

BYU was picked to finished last in the country's "best conference", ended up 5th and had some good wins, including San Diego St, NC State, Iowa St, Texas, Baylor and Kansas. Zero success in the NCAA tourney is less than ideal but just getting to the tourney with the programs he has coached is a win in itself.

As a UK fan since I knew what a basketball was, I'll admit I wasn't impressed with this hire, but I'm willing to give it a shot. The UK job is not the slam dunk taj mahal job it was 15 years ago. Other blue blood powers hired former players and it's worked out so far. Pope at least has some experience and should find recruiting easier with the UK brand, although it has tarnished in recent years. A couple of donors have also thrown in $4M for NIL deals, so I expect him to get to work immediately and shape this roster. Pope is good friends with Jeff Sheppard, maybe that'll convince Reed to stick around. Bring back Onyenso, Ivisic, retain a couple recruits and hit the transfer portal and next year may not look so bad for UK. UK took a chance years ago when the Rupp era ended with little known Joe B Hall and he was tremendous for the program. Hopeful lightning will strike twice.

How good was Hurley at Rhode Island? Pedestrian at best for several years before finally breaking through to get to and win a tourney game. It took him several years to get UConn rolling. Every coach has minimal success on their resume before getting a chance on the big stage. I would think Pope is walking into a significantly better situation at UK than Hurley did at RI or UConn.

BYU was picked to finished last in the country's "best conference", ended up 5th and had some good wins, including San Diego St, NC State, Iowa St, Texas, Baylor and Kansas. Zero success in the NCAA tourney is less than ideal but just getting to the tourney with the programs he has coached is a win in itself.
Hopefully the fanbase gives him a shot and is realistic like this. Great response . UNC and Duke just did this type of hire so it isn't nuts

Who cares if he was a former player? He’s in over his head. This will be worse than Woodson at IU.
Being a former UK player carries clout and credibility. A lot of people care if he is a former player.

It is a tough job.... let's let it play out a few years before we compare him to Woodson at IU.

Time will tell I guess.

Hopefully the fanbase gives him a shot and is realistic like this. Great response . UNC and Duke just did this type of hire so it isn't nuts
Being a former player, most will, while the rest will wait to say I told you so. I do think UK needed someone that would resonate with the fans. Cal fell out of favor with his approach. They needed someone that wanted to be there, not someone that had to be convinced. Pitino endorsed the hire, that's good enough for me.

BYU is the only D1 school, at least to my knowledge, that requires players to sign a contract stating they won’t have premarital sex, drink alcohol or smoke anything. I’d imagine that makes it pretty difficult to recruit. Of course kids are going to break that contract, but BYU admin will strong arm the AD and suspend players who break that contact if they find out.
I remember back in my day, men and women were self-respecting and showed discipline. There weren’t any half-naked floozies running around trying to score a night with all the athletes! I mean, sure, all the ladies hit the treadmills above the rec basketball courts daily hoping AEW Champion would be on the skins team for that day’s pick-up hoops games, but none of that gawking ever led to late-night romps and walks of shame! Class, morals and dignity ruled the day.

Fast forward to today, there’d be no need for an Honor Code if the Provo prostitutes and Salt Lake strumpets knew their role and acted like proper women! As for the players, don’t be a degenerate like some of those who attend a certain too-big-to-fail Midwest conference’s institutions.

Always remember:
Chase titles, not tight holes!
Work on your slam dunks, not where to ram your junk!
Focus on your bounce pass, not where to scrounge some azs!
Perfect your finger roll, not your finger bang!
Run the court, don’t run train!
Smoke your opponent, not crack!

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Former UD HC Don Donoher has died at the age of 92. All-time winningest coach at UD with 437 wins. In 1967 took UD to the NC game losing to Lew Alcindor and UCLA 79 - 64. In 68 UD won the NIT when the NIT was still an important tourney. Will always remember his Sunday noon (maybe 11 AM) show and his top 10 teams for the week. May he rest in peace.

Last edited:
Being a former player, most will, while the rest will wait to say I told you so. I do think UK needed someone that would resonate with the fans. Cal fell out of favor with his approach. They needed someone that wanted to be there, not someone that had to be convinced. Pitino endorsed the hire, that's good enough for me.
I think the press conference yesterday with 22k in attendance shows that BBN is 100% on board.

I think the press conference yesterday with 22k in attendance shows that BBN is 100% on board.
Right, wrong, or indifferent, BBN loves UK basketball! They will support their teams, coaches, etc... until they don't. lol

22K in attendance is impressive for an introduction. They just wanted to make sure they beat the attendance for Calipari's intro at Arkansas and they were successful at that.

If he can get Shepherd back the UK fans will be eating out of his hand in no time. Actually, they already are...

Right, wrong, or indifferent, BBN loves UK basketball! They will support their teams, coaches, etc... until they don't. lol

22K in attendance is impressive for an introduction. They just wanted to make sure they beat the attendance for Calipari's intro at Arkansas and they were successful at that.

If he can get Shepherd back the UK fans will be eating out of his hand in no time. Actually, they already are...
Already lost 4/6 of their incoming recruiting class. 3 of those were McDonald’s AA. Not to mention several players transferring out

The issue with Kentucky and Calipari was he played his freshmen a ton wether they deserved to or not. The UK guys at work have been complaining about this for a long time.

The issue with Kentucky and Calipari was he played his freshmen a ton wether they deserved to or not. The UK guys at work have been complaining about this for a long time.
Cal said he never made promises. Yes, he did. He promised to get these kids to the NBA asap. He also once said if you don't play defense, you can't play for me. Initially, his UK teams were very good on defense, but recently, after watching guys get blown by and pushed around in the paint proved that was a lie.

Already lost 4/6 of their incoming recruiting class. 3 of those were McDonald’s AA. Not to mention several players transferring out
Meh, I think it was expected. Cal's guys never came to UK for UK. It was always a stepping stone. You can have the burger boys. Between UK and Duke, they have proved they can't win consistently. The model in college hoops has changed.

Pope has brought in Collin Chandler, a top 35 recruit a couple years ago before he went on his 2 year mormon mission. Reed Sheppard was also a 4 star and was hands down the best player for UK last year. Some 4 star players played really well for UK like Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Tyler Herro. I don't expect Pope to land many 5 stars, and that's fine with me. I'll take hard work over uber talented. The highest recruits for UK last year were the most disappointing. Give me a roster filled with good, experienced players, and I'll take my chances in March. Cal proved 5 stars don't get it done.

He still has 2 good recruits (for now) still committed to UK and has a meeting lined up with Amari Williams, transfer from Drexel who is 2 time CAA defender of the year. I'm still hopeful for a good season next year. Plenty of good players in the portal.

Edit: One of the 2 recruits just decommitted.

Last edited:
Meh, I think it was expected. Cal's guys never came to UK for UK. It was always a stepping stone. You can have the burger boys. Between UK and Duke, they have proved they can't win consistently. The model in college hoops has changed.

Pope has brought in Collin Chandler, a top 35 recruit a couple years ago before he went on his 2 year mormon mission. Reed Sheppard was also a 4 star and was hands down the best player for UK last year. Some 4 star players played really well for UK like Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Tyler Herro. I don't expect Pope to land many 5 stars, and that's fine with me. I'll take hard work over uber talented. The highest recruits for UK last year were the most disappointing. Give me a roster filled with good, experienced players, and I'll take my chances in March. Cal proved 5 stars don't get it done.

He still has 2 good recruits (for now) still committed to UK and has a meeting lined up with Amari Williams, transfer from Drexel who is 2 time CAA defender of the year. I'm still hopeful for a good season next year. Plenty of good players in the portal.
I take it you’re a UK fan. What’a the definition of a good season?

I take it you’re a UK fan. What’a the definition of a good season?
I am, was brought up on UK basketball. With how everything is and was expected to go, I'd say 18-20 wins and top half of the SEC would be really good all things considered. I'm very curious to see who they are able to bring in and if Sheppard comes back.

Of all the mid major players of the year only 1 don’t transfer or declare for the draft. Basically those schools are minor league programs for the power conferences