2021 St. Ignatius soccer

I was looking forward to the Gonzaga game for nostalgic reasons. For about 10 years I worked in the office building that was about forty feet from the south side of the Gonzaga field. From my sixth floor office I was seated at the 50 yard line. On the north side of the field was one of those early 20th century churches. I would go there on the Holy Days of Obligation, Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, and numerous days after my wife died. Can you guess the name of the church? St. Ignatius, of course. Definitely would have been a good omen for the Cats if the game had occurred.

Some evening entertainment for you.

Fortunately the Ignatius goalie has not had to make such saves. BTW, how do you find all the great clips you provide to us computers idiots?

2005 - First National Championship season

Catch the winning goal vs Brecksville (21.24) in the state semi-finals - Beautiful passing. Cats beat St. Xavier 3-1 in state finals

Until this year, best Ignatius futbol team that I've seen.
The '05 team had not 1, not 2, but 3 All-Ohio and All-Americans

Mark Blades
St. Ignatius: All-Ohio, All-American
Northwestern – NCAA All-American (2009: 2nd team - NSCAA and College Soccer News; 2008: 3rd team – NSCAA)
MLS: Chicago Fire (premier development team)

Barry Rice
University of Kentucky – NCAA All-American (2009: NSCAA and College Soccer News; 2008: 3rd team – Top Drawer, 2nd team – College Soccer News)
MLS: DC United (2010)

Justin Morrow
Notre Dame – All Big East (2009)
MLS: San Jose (2010-2013), Toronto FC (2014-current)
U.S. National Team (2013, 2017, 2018)

Last edited:
2005 - First National Championship season

Catch the winning goal vs Brecksville (21.24) in the state semi-finals - Beautiful passing. Cats beat St. Xavier 3-1 in state finals

Until this year, best Ignatius futbol team that I've seen.
The '05 team had not 1, not 2, but 3 All-Ohio and All-Americans

Mark Blades
Northwestern – NCAA All-American (2009: 2nd team - NSCAA and College Soccer News; 2008: 3rd team – NSCAA)
MLS: Chicago Fire (premier development team)

Barry Rice
University of Kentucky – NCAA All-American (2009: NSCAA and College Soccer News; 2008: 3rd team – Top Drawer, 2nd team – College Soccer News)
MLS: DC United (2010)

Justin Morrow
Notre Dame – All Big East (2009)
MLS: San Jose (2010-2013), Toronto FC (2014-current)
U.S. National Team (2013, 2017, 2018)
Incredible.

Cats lead St. Francis 3-0 at the half. It's brutal trying to follow the action with only the audio. I'm switching to the football broadcast, but will check periodically on the soccer game.

7-0 Final. I can watch and even listen to audio of the soccer team these days way more than I can stomach watching the football team.

The scores have never been this lopsided before. I’ve been following the soccer program for well over 20 years since I have been a student at the school. I have never seen a team as good as this one. They are making very good high school teams like Moeller, St. Xavier, St. Francis de Salles, etc. with respectable programs look overmatched like they don’t belong on the pitch at all with them. And the crazy thing is, many players will be returning next year!!!

I read a report that Ignatius and St. Benedict are working to set up another series starting next year. Shame they can’t play this season. That would be an excellent match.

Wildcats give up 2 quick goals to Louisville St. Xavier in the first 3-1/2 minutes on poor communication and sloppy play

Thereafter, the Cats score 8 goals to win going away, 8 - 2

Ignatius came out flat, giving up two goals in the first three minutes. Might have been the factor of playing an early game, after last night's game. Then the Cats came alive, scoring the next 8 goals. A successful trip to Louisville.

Ignatius remains #1 in the Max Preps rankings, with Noblesville moving up to #3. Makes Ignatius' win over them even more impressive. Ignatius takes on WRA this afternoon, broadcast by SIBN.

Cats face a tough opponent on Friday, Massillon Jackson, which is currently ranked third in the state.

Every time I hear that Ignatius is playing Jackson in soccer, I am reminded of the incident a few years ago when a Jackson fan drove her Cadillac down the middle of the mall, looking for the soccer site. Her GPS told her to turn right on West 30th, so she did. Of course, she was not the only person to drive down the mall before some corrections were made to the entrance.