2021 Regular Season and Playoffs

jonmoxon,

shortening doesn't impact other sports, lengthening would.
Football was the only sport shrunk this fall, and that was done to ensure the post-season would finish before Thanksgiving.
Which in insight didn’t make sense because they played basketball games over Thanksgiving

Not a coach here but at what point does starting the season in mid-August become too early? Let the kids have their summer. I'm not a big fan of expansion due to the number of schools that will end up getting blasted the first round. How successful will a 12 seed be in the grand scheme of things?
8 was enough, in my opinion.
I agree PLUS the fact that how many games held in August have been delayed either by hours or until the next day due to T Storms that are notorious in August. I'd rather see 'em start in September and have the finals in December.

I am fine with the season starting a week earlier in August.
I just dont want to see formal practices start in July. My own personal opinion.

If weather delays become more frequent in August than in later months, then maybe the season could start after Labor Day again.

If weather delays become more frequent in August than in later months, then maybe the season could start after Labor Day again.
If games were to not start until the Friday after Labor Day the state finals would occur around Christmas. This year the finals would be December 23-25. So if the goal is to start the season after labor day we either need to cut regular season games or trim the playoffs back down.

I recall those days.
Of course, message boards werent as prevelent and people had to rely on the local numbers geek at the school to know if you made it before it officially came out on Sunday!

I remember for the first 5 or so years after they went to 8, the OHSAA would publish the records of each seed in the playoff updates they came out with come postseason time.
At one point I had all of that, but that is sadly gone.

Going to 8 was most definantly worth it.

Will some schools get in who dont deserve it? Yeah, but I believe more deserving teams get left out than non deserving teams make it.

At the end of the day, it doesnt hurt anyone to allow the extra teams in.

I like this set up really and would really be against a top 16 scenario with the reason being the argument has always been with those just outside the top 8 and if they deserve it or not. Pitting those teams with the top 4 would really prove and show nothing, as the discussion is not if 9-12 are as deserving as the 1-4. 5-12, 6-11, etc, matchups really will show us if they truly do deserve it.

We will see 9+ win some games. I have zero doubt about it and I am glad teh OHSAA put this into place.
Its watering down the playoffs. It was an accomplishment to get there, now basically everyone gets in. It's a farce.

If you can't make it into the top 8 you don't deserve to be there.

Its watering down the playoffs. It was an accomplishment to get there, now basically everyone gets in. It's a farce.

Okay.
If you say so.

We will see what those 9-12 do some playoff time. Let's see if they deserved it or not.
The harbin's are great, no doubt about that, but a team can only have so much control over their schedule.

As they say, time will tell. Time will tell....

It would be interesting to know. For those who are against it, saying it waters it down too much, does your team make it often?

Wonder if there is a divide between those fans who schools make it alot and think this will ruin it, make it less special and those who dont make it often but should make it more with this set up.

For the record, my team does pretty OK and I do not think this diminishes it much.

"BasICaLlY eVeRYoNe GeTS In"

Stop it. Only 12/26 teams in each region will get into the playoffs. If that's a problem for you, go watch some re-runs of the 80's and 90's when you had clearly deserving 8-2, 9-1, and even some 10-0 teams miss out on the playoffs.

Will 9-12 seeds win championships? Not likely (although the MAC might prove me wrong eventually). Should more teams be involved in the playoffs because it is good for schools to experience and promotes the sport that has been declining in numbers? Absolutely.

I made a mistake. I meant to suggest Labor Day weekend. However, the state rounds may have more competition around here from holiday programs at local churches.

I'm not really in favor with starting the season earlier or of expanding the playoffs. The one conference in particular that I feel this is a positive for is the MAC. Simply put, they often have some of the best teams in the state in the smaller divisions, even if the teams are more mid-tier in their league. This was shown this past season with how many teams they had winning playoff games despite their league standing. The MAC is a bit unique though. Outside of their example, I'm not sure your letting many quality teams in at 9-12.

I'm not really in favor with starting the season earlier or of expanding the playoffs. The one conference in particular that I feel this is a positive for is the MAC. Simply put, they often have some of the best teams in the state in the smaller divisions, even if the teams are more mid-tier in their league. This was shown this past season with how many teams they had winning playoff games despite their league standing. The MAC is a bit unique though. Outside of their example, I'm not sure your letting many quality teams in at 9-12.
Time will def tell.

The answer is always "play better teams, win more games" when teams who win 7+ games are out in the cold, and there were quite a few.
Most teams can only do so much, and a down season or two from normally good OOC teams could sink your chances.

With the 12 teams making it, for D5-7 since they went to 7 divisions, 8 wins will get you in 100% of the time.

7 wins:
93% for D5.
90% for D6
98% for D7.

I hate to make a line in the sand so to speak, but a 7-3 record is what I would consider a good season for most teams. With the new format, as you can see using the numbers since 7 divisions started, there will be a number of 7 win teams who dont make it in D5-6, and likely even more in bigger divisions.

With that said, I think that disproves the argument the new system "lets everyone in" and ruins it.

Pretty sure in 1998 the argument went "How successful will an 8 seed be? 4 was enough."

Then a few 5-8 seeds won championships.

It'll happen here too. A 10 or 11 seed, maybe a 12 will go on a magical run and we'll forget we ever had objections.

And that 12 will probably be from the MAC.
Lake Catholic I think was a 12 seed this year? Granted it wasn't from Harbin points but still.

I love the 1 week earlier start and also love the playoff expansion. I just hope they will let a decent percentage of fans in.

Time will def tell.

The answer is always "play better teams, win more games" when teams who win 7+ games are out in the cold, and there were quite a few.
Most teams can only do so much, and a down season or two from normally good OOC teams could sink your chances.

With the 12 teams making it, for D5-7 since they went to 7 divisions, 8 wins will get you in 100% of the time.

7 wins:
93% for D5.
90% for D6
98% for D7.

I hate to make a line in the sand so to speak, but a 7-3 record is what I would consider a good season for most teams. With the new format, as you can see using the numbers since 7 divisions started, there will be a number of 7 win teams who dont make it in D5-6, and likely even more in bigger divisions.

With that said, I think that disproves the argument the new system "lets everyone in" and ruins it.

I appreciate actual facts and numbers behind that argument. When seeing it like that, it's hard to argue against the change.

Lake Catholic I think was a 12 seed this year? Granted it wasn't from Harbin points but still.

You can't go by this year; one league had half of their coaches vote the state champion[ which won the title game by the biggest margin in playoff history in that division] 8th or lower in the seeding. It was a glaring example of why letting coaches vote is a joke. [they voted the top 8 from their league]

Last edited:
Have they discussed playoff game locations? I don’t like the neutral site games as much as playing at home or at the opposing teams stadium.

You can't go by this year; one league had half of their coaches vote the state champion[ which won the title game by the biggest margin in playoff history in that division] 8th or lower in the seeding. It was a glaring example of why letting coaches vote is a joke. [they voted the top 8 from their league]
I agree it was a joke. You had a bunch of coaches voting on teams they didn't even know. Completely different than baseball, basketball, etc...

I agree it was a joke. You had a bunch of coaches voting on teams they didn't even know. Completely different than baseball, basketball, etc...
The voting this year was basically a combination of the record and past success. NOT so much different than in years past, but with most teams playing no out of conference games it was tougher to guage.

I had said from the beginning that the state champions would come for 'the usual suspects' and for the most part they did.
New Bremen was an outlier so to speak, but they WENT THROUGH the usual suspects/favorites of Marion Local, LCC, Ft Loramie and JFK so they earned it!

The voting this year was basically a combination of the record and past success. NOT so much different than in years past, but with most teams playing no out of conference games it was tougher to guage.

I had said from the beginning that the state champions would come for 'the usual suspects' and for the most part they did.
New Bremen was an outlier so to speak, but they WENT THROUGH the usual suspects/favorites of Marion Local, LCC, Ft Loramie and JFK so they earned it!

No one saw Van Wert either. But really, D4 was kinda wide open and they also went through Bellevue, Shelby, and Wyoming who were seen as threats and Lake Catholic who probably should have been.