2021 #MACtion

Will be interesting to see what Kent State does the next 5 years. They're loading up their non-conference schedule with high-paying beatdowns. You have to think there's some sort of plan for that money
balance the title ix?

Their schedule is the envy. They're getting 2-3 P5's every season.

Yikes. Textbook Jason Candle formula. Play intriguingly if not competitively against a bigger school or name opponent, and follow it up with multiple bad or dumb losses.
I've seen enough of Candle at this point. UT always seem to play up/down to the level of their competition, and he never seems to do enough in league play with the talent he has. Toledo should probably start giving serious thought to a change.

Will be interesting to see what Kent State does the next 5 years. They're loading up their non-conference schedule with high-paying beatdowns. You have to think there's some sort of plan for that money
I suspect that they are using it to supplement the budget for the entire athletics program, not just football. Akron made a bunch of money this year too, and the area of 3.6 million for playing Auburn and Ohio State .

On the topic of Akron, I was shocked that they beat Bowling Green. They had their third string quarterback come in and leave the team to a come behind win.

Last edited:
I've seen enough of Candle at this point. UT always seem to play up/down to the level of their competition, and he never seems to do enough in league play with the talent he has. Toledo should probably start giving serious thought to a change.
I've never cared for Beckman, Campbell, or Candle. UT has the top talent in the MAC year in and out and routinely underperforms. Campbell never won anything and Candle won in 2017 when it was the weakest MAC I'd ever seen (beat a bad Akron team for the title).

The defense was usually to blame but now it is their offense. Cannot establish the run. In OT, with a running QB, who just scored the last TD off an option play that CMU had NO answer for, you throw all 3 downs? And Candle stands there with the stoic pizzed look the entire time as if in his mind that is what a coach is supposed to do.

The Blade did continues its downward spiral.

Did a hit piece yesterday. I knew something didn't smell right and about 2/3's of the way through I got it. There was Joe Zerbey's name (former Blade exec.).

One MAC title in football (2017) since 2003. Not a basketball championship since 1980.

UT has the top facilities and in football the top recruiting classes year in and out.

AD Mike O'Brien now claims he was pushed out, which is BS. On top of that he is 68. Time to move on and retire boomer.

MAC not showing well in bowls. I hope this is simply a down time but I think we are finally seeing the result of populatuion shift and new DI's in Southern markets gobbling up kids who used to head North for a scholarship.

The MAC usually has a losing record in bowl season. They have 2 wins right now (Miami, WMU) which is more than they've had some other years. Yeah, not a great showing, but they do get a higher profile Sun Bowl appearance now as CMU will take on Wazzu.

MAC finishes 3-5. Not great, but not terrible. The MAC gave the Mountain West their only bowl loss of the season and ended with CMU earning a big win over Washington State in the Sun Bowl.