#1 Hoban vs. #4 Riverside @ Twinsburg

Who earns the bid for the R5 championship game?

• Hoban by 21+

Votes: 39 68.4%
  • Hoban by 14-20

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Hoban by 7-13

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Hoban by less than 7

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Riverside by less than 7

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Riverside by 7-13

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Riverside by 14-20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Riverside by 21+

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

BlackandGold

RollSide
I know a Riverside victory would be a near miracle, but I thought it would be disrespectful for both programs not to create a thread and honor their seasons thus far...

Archbishop Hoban's path:
08/19 N Frederick Douglass, KY W 45-6
08/25 A Cathedral Prep, PA W 44-12
09/02 H Trinity Episcopal, VA W 34-6
09/09 H Akron East W 39-0
09/15 A St. Ignatius W 35-0
09/22 N Bye
09/29 H Walsh Jesuit W 57-7
10/06 H Glenville W 28-16
10/14 A St. Francis, NY W 28-13
10/20 H St. Edward L 14-7
10/27 H Ellet W 39-7
11/03 H Barberton W 41-7

Riverside's path:
08/18 A Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin W 14-3
08/25 H Aurora W 31-14
09/01 H Mentor W 34-31
09/08 A Maple Heights W 35-6
09/15 H Boardman W 52-21
09/22 H Willoughby South W 56-8
09/29 A Eastlake North W 43-14
10/06 A Kenston L 36-35
10/13 H Mayfield W 14-12
10/20 A Chardon L 24-16
10/27 H Maple Heights W 36-14
11/03 H Twinsburg W 42-30

History repeats 20 years later. Riverside beats Twinsburg for the right to play at Tiger Stadium, just like Howland in 2003.
Saw both programs just once but they were close games, Hoban vs. Canton CC in 1990 and Riverside at Edgewood in 1996.

I am sure Riverside will come out fired up as they should. Seem to have a very good program, QB and coach as recent runs have shown. Defense of the knights should dominate and keep them to a score or 2. Interesting to see how the offense of Hoban performs this week and if they go up top early. Competitive early but I would expect 4 score margin. Setting up a rematch with Walsh next week.

History repeats 20 years later. Riverside beats Twinsburg for the right to play at Tiger Stadium, just like Howland in 2003.
Saw both programs just once but they were close games, Hoban vs. Canton CC in 1990 and Riverside at Edgewood in 1996.
I was a kid at the 96 game vs. Edgewood. Disappointing 20-14 loss in OT after a 9-2 season the year before.

I see Hoban by 30+ here. Riverside has one truly good win this year - over Aurora in week 2.

Knights might call it pretty vanilla on offense and might not get a running clock until well into the 4th. Still want to get plenty of reps and snaps for some of the players who missed time due to injury earlier this year.

I’m hoping for Riverside to be competitive in this contest and the only evidence for this is derived from their score against St. Francis (NY).

St. Francis lost to Benedictine and Chardon by 15 points, which is the exact deficit Hoban beat them by.

By looking at that, it could lead one to believe that Riverside could make this at least competitive.

That said, what insight does anyone have on the St. Francis - Hoban game? Did Hoban sit a lot of players - Turnovers - Penalties - Just an overall poorly played game?

You would think with Hoban being on another competitive level than Benedictine and Chardon they would have handled St. Francis a little better than 28-13.

I’m hoping for Riverside to be competitive in this contest and the only evidence for this is derived from their score against St. Francis (NY).

St. Francis lost to Benedictine and Chardon by 15 points, which is the exact deficit Hoban beat them by.

By looking at that, it could lead one to believe that Riverside could make this at least competitive.

That said, what insight does anyone have on the St. Francis - Hoban game? Did Hoban sit a lot of players - Turnovers - Penalties - Just an overall poorly played game?

You would think with Hoban being on another competitive level than Benedictine and Chardon they would have handled St. Francis a little better than 28-13.
Hoban was missing key players to injuries until last week's throttling of Barberton, which was scary for me to see in itself. As of last week, and weeks prior, Riverside fumbling and penalties were not prepared for a competitive game against Hoban. If they play a clean game, Riverside certainly has the skill to compete. I haven't witnessed it yet this season, so I'm praying they're due...

Last edited:

Hoban didn’t handle the weather well in the first half. It was cold, windy, and wet. They struggled handling the snaps, and that was killing drives. The last 20 minutes of the game looked more like the usual Hoban.

Hoban didn’t handle the weather well in the first half. It was cold, windy, and wet.
What does that have to do with pounding the ball -- which is what Hoban does very well. Hoban's problem -- to the minimal extent that they have a problem -- is that since their acquisition policy has become more flexible, their discipline and consistency have decreased.

Cue the reflexive defender...

Along with injury issues, that game was a mess of rain, cold and wind. Human nature being what it is, I don't think those kids really had much interest in being in Buffalo playing that game. This is usually the point at which they get their focus ramped up. Last week was the first time since August camp that they had their 5 starting OL on the field together.

What does that have to do with pounding the ball -- which is what Hoban does very well. Hoban's problem -- to the minimal extent that they have a problem -- is that since their acquisition policy has become more flexible, their discipline and consistency have decreased.

Mishandling the ball at the start of the play on several occasions was shutting themselves down. No excuses for it. The weather was a factor in it, but they should have been able to overcome it from the start. It took them a while to clean it up.

Could you elaborate on your statement so we all understand what you are stating? "Acquisition policy has become more flexible?", "discipline and consistency have decreased?" What does one have to do with the other? I thought all of these recruits were "All Stars from surrounding counties?" Why would they be less disciplined or consistent? As apposed to the public school average Joe? I would think it would be the opposite?

Could you elaborate on your statement so we all understand what you are stating? "Acquisition policy has become more flexible?", "discipline and consistency have decreased?" What does one have to do with the other? I thought all of these recruits were "All Stars from surrounding counties?" Why would they be less disciplined or consistent? As apposed to the public school average Joe? I would think it would be the opposite?
I go to a lot of Hoban games and have noted over the last 5 years almost every game they commit a lot of penalties especially going off sides on both sides of the ball killing drives or allowing other teams a fresh set of downs. This was a big reason why they lost to Eds. I don't know why these penalties keep happening. To me it reflects poor coaching. I have been critical of coach Tyrell and people have come down on me for it. He is a good coach and great recruiter. He has elevated the program beyond anything Hoban ever was where Hoban is consistently one of the top 3 to 5 programs in the state of Ohio and have nationally been ranked. But like any coach, his decision making, teams play can be questioned. Also, there have been games over the last 8 years that Hoban has lost and it was due to another team being better than them. Losses to Iggy, Eds, Massillon, Tcc, Winton Woods to name some.

D2 Interviews Weds & Thurs
Weds
12:03 Mike Elder, Avon
12:15 Tim Tyrrell, Hoban
12:45 Mark Geis, Green
(12:30 Jeff Rotzky, VASJ D3)

Thurs
12:30 Nate Moore, Massillon
12:45 Dan DeGeorge, Lake
(12:15 Broc Dial, Dalton D7)

I go to a lot of Hoban games and have noted over the last 5 years almost every game they commit a lot of penalties especially going off sides on both sides of the ball killing drives or allowing other teams a fresh set of downs. This was a big reason why they lost to Eds. I don't know why these penalties keep happening. To me it reflects poor coaching. I have been critical of coach Tyrell and people have come down on me for it. He is a good coach and great recruiter. He has elevated the program beyond anything Hoban ever was where Hoban is consistently one of the top 3 to 5 programs in the state of Ohio and have nationally been ranked. But like any coach, his decision making, teams play can be questioned. Also, there have been games over the last 8 years that Hoban has lost and it was due to another team being better than them. Losses to Iggy, Eds, Massillon, Tcc, Winton Woods to name some.
Friday could very well be a penalty-filled game.

I will take a few offsides to go with 5 rings and millions of dollars in a Scholarships for the players and families. And yes they have lost to better teams. His decisions and game plans have done well most of the time.

Never been a fan of people comparing teams based on results from other games. These are high school kids, not professional athletes, that have plenty of other things on their mind that can be a distraction on any given night. Likely, to result in a less than perfect performance.

I also don’t care for people that watch one game of said team and then go on to make predictions solely based on that one game performance for the reasons mentioned above.

I look for number of athletes that will make game changing plays and Hoban has them, especially on the defensive side.

I’ll take Hoban by 14 points.