‘Text neck’ is becoming an ‘epidemic’ and could wreck your spine

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
The human head weighs about a dozen pounds. But as the neck bends forward and down, the weight on the cervical spine begins to increase. At a 15-degree angle, this weight is about 27 pounds, at 30 degrees it’s 40 pounds, at 45 degrees it’s 49 pounds, and at 60 degrees it’s 60 pounds.

That’s the burden that comes with staring at a smartphone — the way millions do for hours every day, according to research published by Kenneth Hansraj in the National Library of Medicine. The study will appear next month in Surgical Technology International. Over time, researchers say, this poor posture, sometimes called “text neck,” can lead to early wear-and-tear on the spine, degeneration and even surgery.

Read More:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...oming-an-epidemic-and-could-wreck-your-spine/

379f8c9920c2b48717586a11a12158bb.jpg

I always crack up at stuff like check out cashiers getting carpal tunnel syndrome claims, too.

When the head bends, it cannot physically increase on mass or weight. And since it's not on a lever moving further out, how can it "weigh more"? Even if you count the neck as a lever.. what's it move? 4 or 5 inches at a 45? And that creates 5 times the down force? No way.

As odd as this sounds it makes sense, it's a posture issue. Posture has a lot to with your body.

I can believe it too. I walk into our lunch room at work and 90% of the people are hunched over buried in their devices, pecking away. It's like something right out of a sci-i movie where the machines take over haha!

So, all those typists in year's past, they suffered neck problems? Draftsmen? the entire accounting dept?

When the head bends, it cannot physically increase on mass or weight. And since it's not on a lever moving further out, how can it "weigh more"? Even if you count the neck as a lever.. what's it move? 4 or 5 inches at a 45? And that creates 5 times the down force? No way.

This morning when I stepped on the scale I looked forward instead of downward. I lost 40 pounds! I think....it was hard to read the scale, my eyes still hurt.