Score Keeping Questions

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
We have a thread for asking the ump which is stuck to the top of this forum. This thread will be for score keepers to ask questions. We do not have any experts (that I know of) but would like to use this thread to have discussions about how to score plays.

So I'll start out with a conflicting one that happens frequently. A routine play where the defender misplayed the ball and never got his glove on it...popup or ground ball. Is this a hit or an error?

I have heard numerous times that this is not an error. IMO, it is most definitely an error. The one exception seems to be if the ball goes between the fielder's legs on a ground ball, then it is called an error.

How does everyone score these plays? No contact, no error? Or error because the play should have been made?

To give an example, routine popup to centerfield. The CF is drifting with the ball and lunges at the last second because he misjudged the ball. The ball misses the glove by a foot but almost hits the defender in the head. Hit or error?

To give an example, routine popup to centerfield. The CF is drifting with the ball and lunges at the last second because he misjudged the ball. The ball misses the glove by a foot but almost hits the defender in the head. Hit or error?
Depends. is the fielder on my team or the other team?
hanna barbera lol GIF

So I'll start out with a conflicting one that happens frequently. A routine play where the defender misplayed the ball and never got his glove on it...popup or ground ball. Is this a hit or an error?

I have heard numerous times that this is not an error. IMO, it is most definitely an error. The one exception seems to be if the ball goes between the fielder's legs on a ground ball, then it is called an error.

How does everyone score these plays? No contact, no error? Or error because the play should have been made?

Serious question/comment. For some it depends on if it affected the coaches sons stats....

I always thought it was a judgement call by the scorekeeper. Shouldnt compare talents of players on plays. You typically charge an error if the player could of made the play with ordinary effort. I havent scored a game in a long time, but this is how I used to look at it.

I had a play last week. High popup behind second base. The LF, CF, 2B and SS all converge but no one takes charge and the ball dropped between them.
Ruled it a hit.

I had a play last week. High popup behind second base. The LF, CF, 2B and SS all converge but no one takes charge and the ball dropped between them.
Ruled it a hit.
I would say an error. Poor communication on an ordinary play. Again, just my opinion.

Is a sacrifice bunt to move a runner counted as an AB?

Is a sacrifice fly to score a runner counted as an AB?

I think I know the answer but a lot of coaches/stat inputters get it wrong.

Is a sacrifice bunt to move a runner counted as an AB?

Is a sacrifice fly to score a runner counted as an AB?

I think I know the answer but a lot of coaches/stat inputters get it wrong.
No and No
No this isn’t an official AB
Maybe you guys meant this, but I just want to clarify... A sac bunt does not count as an AB if the lead runner advances. But if the lead runner does not advance, it's 0-for-1.
Agree with the others. "Ordinary effort" is a big phrase in baseball scorekeeping.

This may be somewhat assumed but feel I should state it anyway. Ordinary Effort based on your location at time of contact.

For example, the whole Outfield is playing really shallow, batter smacks one deep to Center and it hits the ground. If the OF was playing at normal depth the CF would have made the play normally but cannot due to alignment at time of pitch. This is a hit. Also, possibly dumb coaching.

Maybe you guys meant this, but I just want to clarify... A sac bunt does not count as an AB if the lead runner advances. But if the lead runner does not advance, it's 0-for-1.
It would not be ruled a sacrifice in this instance anyway, which would mean it is an at bat.

That you for starting this thread. It will not only be a good resource for those out there trying to do the books for teams, but it will help for the casual observer and parents on the rules of the game.

The hard thing here is the gray area. Scorer tends to favor their team (hit for the offense, error on the defense) especially at the HS level. There are plays all the time at the MLB level that are surprisingly not ruled an error especially given the best players in the world on the field. Here is an article from last year that is more detailing if the MLB is lowering the threshold of an error to boost AVG, but it does show some interesting scoring decisions as well as the overall decrease in errors.

I've been a varsity football statistician for 15 years, varsity basketball for 16 years, and a baseball scorekeeper and/or coach for 15 years. Baseball is BY FAR the most subjective and up-to-interpretation sport of the 3 when it comes to recording stats, and it's not close at all. It's just part of the game. Good or bad, it's just something that will always be part of it. The best we can do is know the rules of scorekeeping and do our best to judge fairly, knowing that not everyone does. As a coach, if someone else is keeping book, it's our responsibility to double-check any close plays after the game to make sure they were scored properly, cuz, you know, parents. LoL

Last edited:
This may be somewhat assumed but feel I should state it anyway. Ordinary Effort based on your location at time of contact.

For example, the whole Outfield is playing really shallow, batter smacks one deep to Center and it hits the ground. If the OF was playing at normal depth the CF would have made the play normally but cannot due to alignment at time of pitch. This is a hit. Also, possibly dumb coaching.
And to piggyback on this, ordinary effort is also tied to the age or level of the player. For example, 12u ordinary effort will look different than high school varsity, varsity different than professional baseball players.