2024 Dead Celebrities

Dickey Betts, guitar extraordinaire, of The Allman Brothers Band died at age 80 from cancer and COPD.

When I got married, I wanted "Blue Sky" to be our special song at our wedding reception, but my wife put her mom in charge of the reception songs. Big mistake. Our special song? "You Light Up My Life" by Debby Boone. I could only laugh and had to go with it.

RIP Dickey Betts

Roman Gabriel, age 83, quarterback for the LA Rams (1962-72) and Philadelphia Eagles (1973-77) passes away.

I was a big fan of his when I was in Catholic grade school. So much, that I took the name "Gabriel" as my Catholic confirmation name in the 8th grade.

RIP Roman Gabriel

Big fan as a kid too. My youth football team was the Rams, so of course I followed the LA Rams. When they started 11-0 in '69 I thought they were the greatest team ever. lol. Roman Gabriel was the coolest and most unique name I had ever heard at the time.

Big fan as a kid too. My youth football team was the Rams, so of course I followed the LA Rams. When they started 11-0 in '69 I thought they were the greatest team ever. lol. Roman Gabriel was the coolest and most unique name I had ever heard at the time.
Full disclosure on my previous post: my paternal grandfather's name was Roman and my middle name is Roman, in my grandfather's honor. So, of course, I thought Roman Gabriel was a cool name, too, and there never was much doubt that my Catholic confirmation name would be Gabriel (as long as the Catholic church would accept it...they did). Also, my nephew named his son Roman and my dental hygienist's son's name is Roman. When my nephew told me what he was naming his son, he jokingly told me, "Don't get a big head! It's in honor of my son's great-great grandfather, not you!"