Civil War - the movie

Only a fool would not recognize the role played by slavery in the development of our country. Slavery is the epitome of racism.
What about blacks that owned slaves? I ask this, as person with a black heritage that was owned by a black man. There are currently 7 million people in Africa living in slavery and most enslaved by blacks...are they racist?

Last edited:
What about blacks that owned slaves? I ask this, as person with a black heritage that was owned by a black man. There are currently 7 million people in Africa living in slavery and most enslaved by blacks...are they racist?
Nah, Blacks can't be racist. It's a rule or a law or sumpin'.

You get that every race on earth has been slave holders and enslaved right? Or do you think it's unique to blacks?
My great grandfather was a slave of the Romanoff family more recently than there were any enslaved people in the US. The Tsar was definitely a racist.

Where can I find that information? My grandfather was born in 1898 and he told me everyone outside the city had guns and hunted. Did the northern citizens rearm themselves after the war?
The best study on 1800s gun ownership was done by the College of William & Mary who looked at probate records that listed assets. Of course there is some variation state to state and some outlier statistics, but generally 69-78% of estates contained firearms. That sounds about right, but there would be a significant difference in rural vs urban areas. In one state, Maryland I believe, more households contained guns than tables. Lol.

Growing up in a very rural part of Appalachia in the 1970's, we couldn't have lived there without firearms. Neighbors were miles away. There were varmits, we hunted, we shot for recreation, and there was no police within 25-30 miles, so guns were our self-defense. This would have been even more true in 1860 rural America. So, this idea that gun ownership was low or rare anywhere in America in 1860 is probably nothing more than politically motivated nonsense.

It was low in the early 1800s because muskets were expensive and Kentucky rifles even more so. Many guns were also custom-made items and that put them out of reach of the masses. But literally thousands of small and large gun manufacturers cropped up that century selling a lot of pistols, muskets, and rifles. Someone was buying them. Lol.

Last edited:
Here's a review of the movie by Colonel Schlichter:

Spoiler alert—it’s a bad movie, and you don’t want to see it. I’m going to tell you some of what happens, but you shouldn’t care because, if you’re smart, you’re going to listen to me and not spend money on it.

The problem with "Civil War" isn’t its point of view, to the extent it has one. Now, you can tell that, beneath the surface, it has a generic left-wing orientation. The bad guy president is vaguely Trumpy. He’s a straight white male, of course. In fact, every single villain is a straight, white male. None of the major heroes is a straight, white male. You can make movies where the villains are straight, white males, and where none of the heroes are straight, white males, but it’s now a woke Hollywood cliche to make all the villains straight, white males, and none of the heroes straight, white males. You can’t unsee it. Rural white guy? Definitely a villain. Black woman? Hero!

Spoiler alert—it’s a bad movie, and you don’t want to see it. I’m going to tell you some of what happens, but you shouldn’t care because, if you’re smart, you’re going to listen to me and not spend money on it.

The problem with "Civil War" isn’t its point of view, to the extent it has one. Now, you can tell that, beneath the surface, it has a generic left-wing orientation. The bad guy president is vaguely Trumpy. He’s a straight white male, of course. In fact, every single villain is a straight, white male. None of the major heroes is a straight, white male. You can make movies where the villains are straight, white males, and where none of the heroes are straight, white males, but it’s now a woke Hollywood cliche to make all the villains straight, white males, and none of the heroes straight, white males. You can’t unsee it. Rural white guy? Definitely a villain. Black woman? Hero!
I saw the movie and thought it was okay. I do disagree with this review though. First, I didn't get anything "Trumpy" about the President. Secondly, there was no backstory. So, there was nothing definitively showing who were actually the heros and who were the villains. Anyway, it's an action movie with a typical and predictable plot. Not much more than that.

Basically.... right wing agitator is disappointed it wasn't a blueprint for the civil war the right has been screeching for several years for.

What was the circumstance of your ancestor being owned by a black man? What state? What years? It was very rare and most, not all, were purchasing their spouses, children, parents, siblings, or friends in danger of being sold into a worse situation. It's how they self emancipated. There are also just horrible people that believed owning another human being is ok.

Don't think enslaving anyone for any reason is ok.

Basically.... right wing agitator is disappointed it wasn't a blueprint for the civil war the right has been screeching for several years for.
My understanding of his review is that in order to make a civil war story compelling and believable you have to present a plausible ideological conflict that would trigger such an event. On this I agree 100% with Schlichter.

When word of this movie first came out I was intrigued. Then they tried to sell me on the idea that Texas AND California would join forces? Then all the actors, writers and director bragged about how the movie wasn't "political". But isn't a civil war driven by politics more then any other kind of war?

But I'll reserve judgement until after I've seen the movie. I'm just not going to pay $15 to see it. I'll wait until it hits the streaming services.

What was the circumstance of your ancestor being owned by a black man? What state? What years? It was very rare and most, not all, were purchasing their spouses, children, parents, siblings, or friends in danger of being sold into a worse situation. It's how they self emancipated. There are also just horrible people that believed owning another human being is ok.

Don't think enslaving anyone for any reason is ok.
Are you my genealogy validator?

Self-emancipated? So, the Civil War did not exist? You do know that some blacks fought for the confederacy...right?

Are you my genealogy validator?

Self-emancipated? So, the Civil War did not exist? You do know that some blacks fought for the confederacy...right?
Already stated there are many reasons for everthing. Some had not choice. Some made bad choices. I asked you some questions that you don't seem to want to answer. Because some found ways to "self Emancipate, does not mean there was not Civil War. I said nothing about validating your genealogy. You brought up the fact that you are a descendent of someone owned by a black man. Do you not think people would want to know more about that? Do you know all the circumstances? I was simply pointing out it was rare and gave some reasons why the practice happened. Stated there are just bad people. Black people as well as white and every other race.

Already stated there are many reasons for everthing. Some had not choice. Some made bad choices. I asked you some questions that you don't seem to want to answer. Because some found ways to "self Emancipate, does not mean there was not Civil War. I said nothing about validating your genealogy. You brought up the fact that you are a descendent of someone owned by a black man. Do you not think people would want to know more about that? Do you know all the circumstances? I was simply pointing out it was rare and gave some reasons why the practice happened. Stated there are just bad people. Black people as well as white and every other race.
Your response is interesting. Some made bad choices? REALLY? Yet, 160 years later, white fragility is trying to atone for the sins of the past without regard to the current black victimhood. Shut the front door!

First, I really don't see the need to discuss or answer questions concerning my heritage with you. However...

Second, I see your point and I could reference Anthony Johnson or William Ellison...these are some folks you probably have read about but that could be too easy. My circumstances are a bit more convoluted, as should be expected, as my ancestry comes from Texas, via Louisiana in the early to mid 1800s.

Third, no, people really don't care what I say or from where I came as it is the 21st century and my claim is my stake. Then again, reparations could be owned to me, lol.

Finally, I agree.