To all the Karens

OHSAA Fan

I will start by complimenting Maysville's players. They played tough and fought the entire game from tip until buzzer. It is easy to see how they made it to the Finals. I hadn't heard of Maysville before the Final Four, but I have a newfound respect for the team. But the Karens from Maysville are a different story. They have been blowing up social media since the final buzzer, complaining about everything from officiating to buying players, to my very favorite comments that the boys were flipping off the fans after the game. Let me quickly address all three:

1) Alter's lineup consists of players who have played together throughout their entire grade school years. If you don't believe it, check it out - unless you prefer not to live in reality.
2) Officiating - anyone who watched the game knew that the game plan for Maysville was to impose their will and play super aggressively. That is not Alter's M.O., so don't assume that everything will be equal in foul distribution. In all honesty, there should have been many, many more fouls called than were called. I watched every single final game yesterday, and Maysville was an outlier in their aggressive form of defense. In fact, someone sitting next to me during the DI Final said "this feels like a basketball game and not an MMA fight like the last game."
3) This is my favorite one. The Karens claim that Alter players are flipping off their fans and are posting pictures to that effect all over trying to change the narrative. What they don't realize is that the players are pointing to their ring fingers - something that LITERALLY every basketball player in college or the pros do following a championship. Look at all the photos if you don't believe me. It's a joke that because a hard-fought game was lost, excuses need to be made and rationalization rises to the surface.

Karen Yelp GIF by 8it
Always Sunny Fx GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Congrats to the Alter Knights!!!!

The nature of the actual game belies the pissing and moaning. Maysville got down early. Alter NEVER trailed. Maysville had a puncher's chance coming in and they chose to jab bc they had near 0 paint presence. Played good 3 ball but were wildly out of balance. The 2-3 base D Alter uses does tease the eye, but they win more than they lose through time.. Maysville had a helluva run, probably the biggest surprise finalist, very gritty group.

1) Alter's lineup consists of players who have played together throughout their entire grade school years. If you don't believe it, check it out - unless you prefer not to live in reality.
one of the core informational deficits whenever metro Catholic schools play mid-size rural publics is rural public folks not understanding the difference in structure and feeding pattern.

A school like Maysville will have ~72 boys in a given class, and that core forms through one building in up-flow. Read it as “72 x 1 = 72”

whereas a school like Alter will have ~72 boys in a given class, and that core forms through a combination of 3-4 smaller feeder grade schools. 3 x 24 = 72; 4 x 18 = 72. (Unaware as to how many actual feeder schools go into Alter, but the concept is pretty universal regardless of metro.)

That concept can be hard to grasp when it doesn’t exist in certain areas, like Muskingum County (where the Catholic school system isn’t very robust compared to a generation or two ago where Rosecrans HS would conceivably have classes of boys coming together from four Catholic k-8 schools themselves; today it has narrowed down to one.)

in basketball it can be fortunate since it can yield a higher crop of kids with court experience because there’s more opportunities to play at the younger levels in the Alter system versus a traditional rural public like Maysville. whether or not that’s a true advantage (beyond the spirit of fairness in competition) can be debated forever; some would say that Alter at the same time has to contend with the challenge of those kids enrolling into Alter HS instead of defecting to the publics or other schools after eighth grade (whereas Maysville doesn’t face much competition in that regard.)

Maysville fan need a lesson in class and decorum. They stood from tip to final buzzer and none of the neutral fans could see anything. When a usher asked them to sit down, a lady told him they should stay home and watch it on tv. They stoood the entire game. Saw a lot of big followings and no other fan base acted that way. Worse fan base I have ever seen. Made me root against them.

Last edited:
I know nothing about their players or Maysville players and their past but how would one go about "checking it out"? Are there webpages that list the player school attendance history? Does Alter list this on their own website? They had a CB number of 28 so a few players seem to have had a different educational history if the CB number was zero they would have been D3.

3) This is my favorite one. The Karens claim that Alter players are flipping off their fans and are posting pictures to that effect all over trying to change the narrative. What they don't realize is that the players are pointing to their ring fingers - something that LITERALLY every basketball player in college or the pros do following a championship. Look at all the photos if you don't believe me. It's a joke that because a hard-fought game was lost, excuses need to be made and rationalization rises to the surface.
Were the Alter players pointing at their ring fingers while gesticulating toward the Maysville fans?

Karens? A little strong - and intended to be provocative. The Maysville fans hurt some feelings, evidently.

Fan, short for "fanatic", indicates weird and, perhaps, aggravating behavior goes with.

Some might point to a rant about other fans as evidence of fanatical behavior, given that a state championship was won and celebrating that should prevent focus on things that don't really matter. FWIW

Last edited:
Maysville fan need a lesson in class and decorum. They stood from tip to final buzzer and none of the neutral fans could see anything. When an usher asked them to sit down, a lady told him they should stay home and watch it on tv. They stoood the entire game. Saw a lot of big followings and no other fan base acted that way. Worse fan base I have ever seen. Made me root against them.
I gotta agree with Maysville fans here. It’s a state final game for a sporting event. That said, if an usher asked them to sit down they should have.

One that grew up in Alter’s feeder school and then went to public school before transferring to play with his grade school classmates.
He reclassified as an 8th grader, then went to Springboro his freshman and sophomore year, then came "back" to Alter.

I thought a guy from Maysville was going to have to leave on a stretcher by halftime. Every defensive possession it was "GET BACK!!!!" and "REBOUND!!!!", then "PUSH IT!!!!" and "DRIVE TO THE BASKET!!!!" and heaven forbid a whistle went Alter's way. There were several "DO YOUR JOB!" and a few times it was "I KNOW WHERE YOU'RE PARKED!!! I'LL BE WAITING!!!"
After Maysville received their awards he was yelling "KEEP YOUR HEADS UP DARN IT!!!" (Only he didn't say darn.)

Maysville fan need a lesson in class and decorum. They stood from tip to final buzzer and none of the neutral fans could see anything. When a usher asked them to sit down, a lady told him they should stay home and watch it on tv. They stoood the entire game. Saw a lot of big followings and no other fan base acted that way. Worse fan base I have ever seen. Made me root against them.
You, as a Fenwick fan per your handle, bought a ticket in the Maysville section and then demanded the Maysville fans supporting their team sit down so you could see?? That seems incredibly crazy to me

one of the core informational deficits whenever metro Catholic schools play mid-size rural publics is rural public folks not understanding the difference in structure and feeding pattern.

A school like Maysville will have ~72 boys in a given class, and that core forms through one building in up-flow. Read it as “72 x 1 = 72”

whereas a school like Alter will have ~72 boys in a given class, and that core forms through a combination of 3-4 smaller feeder grade schools. 3 x 24 = 72; 4 x 18 = 72. (Unaware as to how many actual feeder schools go into Alter, but the concept is pretty universal regardless of metro.)

That concept can be hard to grasp when it doesn’t exist in certain areas, like Muskingum County (where the Catholic school system isn’t very robust compared to a generation or two ago where Rosecrans HS would conceivably have classes of boys coming together from four Catholic k-8 schools themselves; today it has narrowed down to one.)

in basketball it can be fortunate since it can yield a higher crop of kids with court experience because there’s more opportunities to play at the younger levels in the Alter system versus a traditional rural public like Maysville. whether or not that’s a true advantage (beyond the spirit of fairness in competition) can be debated forever; some would say that Alter at the same time has to contend with the challenge of those kids enrolling into Alter HS instead of defecting to the publics or other schools after eighth grade (whereas Maysville doesn’t face much competition in that regard.)
Not reading all that. Nobody cares about privates. Quit justifying.

Not reading all that. Nobody cares about privates. Quit justifying.
It's amazing how difficult for some. Doesn't speak well to the public school education. I read it in 45-60 seconds. If it would take you longer than that it's a you problem. All that =3 paragraphs lol that's great. That's what our society has come to.

You, as a Fenwick fan per your handle, bought a ticket in the Maysville section and then demanded the Maysville fans supporting their team sit down so you could see?? That seems incredibly crazy to me
I sat in the Russia, OG and Delaware Hayes sections, could see everything just fine and they didn't act that way. Those sections stood up in big moments of the game, which is normal. I have never seen a fan base stand from tip to buzzer like that. The usher even asked the front row if they could sit until something big happens in the game. They refused. He told our section of all neutral observers, minus one Maysville fan who was alone and the only one standing in our entire section, that he can't make people be polite. I didn't demand anything. I have been going to the state tournament for over 10 years and have never encountered that. I get they are excited, but so were the other fan bases, they just had public decorum.

I sat in the Russia, OG and Delaware Hayes sections, could see everything just fine and they didn't act that way. Those sections stood up in big moments of the game, which is normal. I have never seen a fan base stand from tip to buzzer like that. The usher even asked the front row if they could sit until something big happens in the game. They refused. He told our section of all neutral observers, minus one Maysville fan who was alone and the only one standing in our entire section, that he can't make people be polite. I didn't demand anything. I have been going to the state tournament for over 10 years and have never encountered that. I get they are excited, but so were the other fan bases, they just had public decorum.
I think I would have just found some empty seats but that would not give me the opportunity to come to yappi and complain about a fanbase supporting their team in the state finals. Lol

I think I would have just found some empty seats but that would not give me the opportunity to come to yappi and complain about a fanbase supporting their team in the state finals. Lol
I was in the same situation. I found an open seat. I still think it was ridiculous of the maysville fans. You know the old saying, “act like you’ve been there before”….even if you haven’t.

Exactly. I did move to the upper deck. If this was a regular occurrence at the finals or if every fan base did it I wouldn't complain. Shelby fans didn't act that way. Nor did Russia, OG, or Delaware Hayes. Those fans were pleasant to sit by. Maysville fans are a different animal. Just sharing me experience. To take a line from Maysville fans, if you don't like it, don't read it!

I don't think I have ever met anyone from Maysville so can't comment on their politeness, I agree they should be polite. But, I also think that if every fan base stood and cheered the whole game, it would make for an unbelievable atmosphere.

I don't think I have ever met anyone from Maysville so can't comment on their politeness, I agree they should be polite. But, I also think that if every fan base stood and cheered the whole game, it would make for an unbelievable atmosphere.
I agree on your last point. If that was my experience at every finals, then that would be the expectation. It would make for a great atmosphere. It was just the first time I have encountered that and wanted to share my experience. This wasn't the first time I've sat by huge fan bases.