St. Ignatius basketball 2023-2024

They ran to the student section after the buzzer and waved goodbye to the Hayes student section. It was a 5 second thing. It's become a thing in college basketball when a visiting team wins on the road.
Ive seen it in high school too on multiple ocassions

Ive seen it in high school too on multiple ocassions
It was a bit more. He ran to the corner section of fans next to the student section. Got as close as he could possibly get. An OHSAA guy had to turn him around. Very lucky he didn’t get a tech imo. Feel bad for Hayes because they were the better team (say what you want about refs) for close to 30 minutes but glad St. Ignatius won.

It was a bit more. He ran to the corner section of fans next to the student section. Got as close as he could possibly get. An OHSAA guy had to turn him around. Very lucky he didn’t get a tech imo. Feel bad for Hayes because they were the better team (say what you want about refs) for close to 30 minutes but glad St. Ignatius won.
If that's the case the celebration does sounds a little excessive and unnecessary

If that's the case the celebration does sounds a little excessive and unnecessary
Maybe...it was like an away game. They were getting booed a ton and Hayes shot like 25 free throws vs Ignatius shooting 6. Plus they gave Ignatius a tech with 4 minutes left that ended up being the kids 5th foul. It was WWE levels of officiating trying to keep the game close.

So I think that all added up to Ignatius feeling ganged up on, and they had some words for the visiting fan base. I like the fire personally.

Maybe...it was like an away game. They were getting booed a ton and Hayes shot like 25 free throws vs Ignatius shooting 6. Plus they gave Ignatius a tech with 4 minutes left that ended up being the kids 5th foul. It was WWE levels of officiating trying to keep the game close.

So I think that all added up to Ignatius feeling ganged up on, and they had some words for the visiting fan base. I like the fire personally.
They can all go and make a good confession at Mass tomorrow.

If you're down at UD, there is obviously the UD Chapel or just a couple of miles away is Emmanuel across the street from Chaminade Julienne Catholic High School. Emmanuel is the oldest Catholic Church in Dayton (circa 1837), I believe it still has a communion rail.

They definitely ran to the parents section, not the students. Bad look for sure.
I commented earlier the first view I had was inconclusive as to which fans they were interacting with. The students were definitely grouped behind the basket. The videos I’ve seen since appear to be a group of older adults/parents. What gets me is the number of times I’ve heard adults take shots at kids and in turn the athletes are supposed to take a blind eye and deaf ear, which isn’t the easiest thing to do. Not saying that happened here. Joyce apologized for the behavior of his players in the postgame press conference.

Last edited:
A lot of posters taking shots at St. Ignatius, which I don’t recognize by screen name. My guess is they they will make their comments and then disappear. Congrats to the wildcats from your friendly rival.
I will defnitely be rooting for the Wildcats after this episode on here tonight

Good points. The foul disparity was horrendous honestly. It definitely seemed like at least one of those refs had it out for Ignatius. I don’t know what they were saying for Quinn to do that but it was probably bad. The big publics seem to always have it out for the catholic schools. My biggest critique of it though is just the lack of restraint and maturity because he showed that same lack of maturity early on in the game just by not making the best decisions with the ball and it almost cost them. He stepped up at the end and opened it up for Damon to score and he scored a couple big ones hisself. I think if he makes better decisions early, Ignatius would have won by 5-10 maybe more despite the refereeing being as bad and one sided as it was.

Having watched all the games so far this weekend. That was the only game I can flat out say the refs were just bad. It would be interesting to know where that crew was from.

Good points. The foul disparity was horrendous honestly. It definitely seemed like at least one of those refs had it out for Ignatius. I don’t know what they were saying for Quinn to do that but it was probably bad. The big publics seem to always have it out for the catholic schools. My biggest critique of it though is just the lack of restraint and maturity because he showed that same lack of maturity early on in the game just by not making the best decisions with the ball and it almost cost them. He stepped up at the end and opened it up for Damon to score and he scored a couple big ones hisself. I think if he makes better decisions early, Ignatius would have won by 5-10 maybe more despite the refereeing being as bad and one sided as it was.

Having watched all the games so far this weekend. That was the only game I can flat out say the refs were just bad. It would be interesting to know where that crew was from.
I don't know. I'm not in the business of expecting 16 & 17 year olds to act mature. But you're right, the Catholic schools bring out the worst in the public school parents and fans. I think it's fine Quinn dished it back. He's got a mean streak and it's what makes him a great player.

Edit: the refs were also bad in the Richmond Hts game. They did everything in their power to keep Russia in it. It's embarrassing. Just call the game correctly. If OHSAA wants to level the playing field, do it a different way.

I don't know. I'm not in the business of expecting 16 & 17 year olds to act mature. But you're right, the Catholic schools bring out the worst in the public school parents and fans. I think it's fine Quinn dished it back. He's got a mean streak and it's what makes him a great player.

Edit: the refs were also bad in the Richmond Hts game. They did everything in their power to keep Russia in it. It's embarrassing. Just call the game correctly. If OHSAA wants to level the playing field, do it a different way.
That’s fair. I guess then that’s where I would expect coaching to come in to play. He did rush over to get him and the other players back and apparently apologized in the press conference but not really acceptable at this stage. I don’t think a Centerville player would have done something to that extent knowing what was at stake. If he gets called for a Tech there, there are different conversations being had in this thread tonight and we’d be watching Pacers and Elks tomorrow.

I do agree with you though that his mean streak is part of what makes him a great player and I do think he is very good and should be extremely impactful on the college level. He really seems made for the big moments.

Also don’t disagree completely with the RH game but I think RH may have gotten a little too aggressive on defense after getting in foul trouble early and seeing how the refs were seemingly going to call it. Dorian Jones got a couple offensive fouls that just were not smart plays with how many fouls he had.

A lot of posters taking shots at St. Ignatius, which I don’t recognize by screen name. My guess is they they will make their comments and then disappear. Congrats to the wildcats from your friendly rival.
I think the taunting was a little over the top. Show some class. GBM 💪 🏀

I'm sure that Iggy had a reason for going over to that section to celebrate. People keep saying win with class - how about supporting and cheering for your team with class ? There are 2 sides to every story. I'm pretty sure Iggy did not pick that area of the arena by pure dumb luck. Good Job Wildcats - bring that championship home to NE Ohio.