Girls' All-Time Outdoor Lists - Field Events added 23 March

JAVMAN83

OK, at long last I'm doing the document dumps for the girls' all-time top-50 lists for outdoor marks.

I begin with the relays, the most difficult of all the lists to coordinate as I had to keep track of the same quartets in a given year and keep duplicate relay teams from appearing more than once as a ranked Ohio team. I've differentiated teams & performances in 3 ways as you read from left to right.

Column 1 - Ohio Rank - This is where a particular quartet from a team stands on the all-time performance list with their best effort as a particular team in a given year.

Column 5 - Team Rank - This is where a particular school's all-time best ranks vs. other schools.

Column 7 - TP # - Where a particular quartet in a given year has multiple marks in the rankings, I've distinguished them by listing the order in which they appear on the list as they appear. I.E., the fastest performance by the quartet in a given year is given a TP # of 1; the second fastest receives a 2, and so on.

I hope by studying and reviewing these lists, you will understand what I've done.

I welcome corrections, additions, etc. in order to make these as complete as possible.

Thanks again for your patience. The other outdoor events will be docu-dumped this week.

Attachments

• Ohio All-Time Lists - Girls - Outdoor - 4x100 meters - Top 50.pdf
    57 KB · Views: 91
  • Ohio All-Time Lists - Girls - Outdoor - 4x200 meters - Top 50.pdf
    44.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Ohio All-Time Lists - Girls - Outdoor - 4x400 meters - Top 50.pdf
    60.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Ohio All-Time Lists - Girls - Outdoor - 4x800 meters - Top 50.pdf
    57.4 KB · Views: 90

Next dump: All-Time Top-50 Girls' 100 / 200 / 400 Meters

Attachments

• Ohio All-Time Lists - Girls - Outdoor - 100 meters - Top 50.pdf
    57.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Ohio All-Time Lists - Girls - Outdoor - 200 meters - Top 50.pdf
    59.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Ohio All-Time Lists - Girls - Outdoor - 400 meters - Top 50.pdf
    55.3 KB · Views: 31
Girls' Top-50: 800m / 1600m & 1 Mile / 3200m & 2-Mile

Attachments

• Ohio All-Time Lists - Girls - Outdoor - 800 meters - Top 50.pdf
    57.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Ohio All-Time Lists - Girls - Outdoor - 1600 meters and 1 Mile - Top 50.pdf
    62.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Ohio All-Time Lists - Girls - Outdoor - 3200 meters and 2 Miles - Top 50.pdf
    58.5 KB · Views: 56
Note: I made a correction to the girls' Division III OHSAA record. Allison Johnson (Mount Gilead) is listed by OHSAA as the D3 record-holder with her 2:07.49 from 2021. Stephanie Morgan (Barnesville) has a faster in-season time of 2:07.2 MT from the Shamrock Relays in 2008; however, that performance isn't the recognized D3 record. I don't know the reasoning behind that? Not enough schools, or was the paper-work not submitted?

Also, Trotwood-Madison's all-time great, LaVonna Martin (1992 Olympic 100mH silver medalist) has been moved into the #48 slot in the 400 meters with her 55.15 qualifying heat time at the 1983 AAA state meet. Unfortunately, she was DQ'ed (false start) in the final. However, she still managed to win the team state meet with her 3 other wins that meet.

Girls' 100mH (33") & 300m hurdles (30") - Top-50

Attachments

• Ohio All-Time Lists - Girls - Outdoor - 100 meters Hurdles - 33 inch - Top 50.pdf
    60.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Ohio All-Time Lists - Girls - Outdoor - 300 meters Hurdles - 30 inch - Top 50.pdf
    43.5 KB · Views: 41
I don't know the reasoning behind that? Not enough schools, or was the paper-work not submitted?
From the record application:

In order for this record to be considered, it must:
1.) Be established in outdoor competition limited exclusively to high school contestants in a high school contest during the OHSAA approved seaso
2.) Involve five or more high school
3.) Use fully automatic timing (FAT) for a track event, and
4.) Be within NFHS regulations for permissible wind gauge (anemometer) readings in the long jump, 100 meters, 200 meters and 100 or 110 meter hurdles. The current standard is that wind readings of 2.1 meters per second and above will not be considered for a record.

From the record application:

In order for this record to be considered, it must:
1.) Be established in outdoor competition limited exclusively to high school contestants in a high school contest during the OHSAA approved seaso
2.) Involve five or more high school
3.) Use fully automatic timing (FAT) for a track event, and
4.) Be within NFHS regulations for permissible wind gauge (anemometer) readings in the long jump, 100 meters, 200 meters and 100 or 110 meter hurdles. The current standard is that wind readings of 2.1 meters per second and above will not be considered for a record.
Hmmm....didn't know they'd modified it to FAT only. Statistically-speaking, ATFS handles manually-timed efforts over 400 meters without any conversion adjustments to FAT. However, as we all know, NFHS & individual state affiliations have their own flavor of statistics & record-keeping (assuming they do).

Thanks for the feedback.

You made me curious, because Rule 10 in the NFHS rule book doesn't mention FAT at all as far as I can see. But, this is on their NFHS record application as well:

If a track event, was the time recorded by fully automatic timing (FAT) system? Yes ______ No ______
(Note: For a performance to be recognized as a national record, the time shall be recorded by a fully automatic timing [FAT] system.

I distinctly remember reading in the late 90s or early 2000s that NFHS was going to start requiring FAT for their records. I assume Ohio went with that at around the same time.

You made me curious, because Rule 10 in the NFHS rule book doesn't mention FAT at all as far as I can see. But, this is on their NFHS record application as well:

I distinctly remember reading in the late 90s or early 2000s that NFHS was going to start requiring FAT for their records. I assume Ohio went with that at around the same time.
Yes, for records I understand.

For statistical lists such as I or MileSplit or AthleticNet or T&F News and others, we include both over 400m. It would be be asinine not to given that FAT does occassionally fail (I've been there).

Correction: Big problem I have with some of the OHSAA REGIONAL records is that I KNOW some of them were set WITHOUT FAT, but are listed as if they were.

Cases-in-point: Region 4 - 400m - 46.1 by Nelloms was set in the preliminary heat (I was sitting on the back stretch when he came by at the top of the backstretch) and they used hand-timing back then for preliminaries. The 4x400m (3:14.8) is even worse as it was set over the mile relay with hand-timing. Welcome Stadium didn't change from 440yd to 400m until the 1981-82 school year. I've found other examples, but those two come to mind immediately.

Last edited:
Here's my updated list of Girls' Ohio Outdoor records (OHSAA & all-time Ohio records). Field events are coming later this week.

Attachments

• Ohio High School Records - Outdoor - Girls - 19 Feb 2024.pdf
    27.5 KB · Views: 53
I have added the girls' all-time outdoor rankings for 6 field events (HJ, PV, LJ, SP, DT, HT) with this post. The triple jump and javelin throws have lists that are well under development (a lot more than you might think), but I want to hold off posting those until I have it filled out even more.

With this post, this will be my last update on all-time rankings lists, outdoors & indoors, until later this year. I'll chime from time-to-time remarking on significant outdoor marks as they develop, but I need to re-orient myself towards the big state research project, of which I'm about 40% into documenting every state winner from 1908, and to SW Ohio district meet projects.

So, for now, enjoy the season!

Attachments

• Ohio All-Time Lists - Girls - Outdoor - Field Events - Top 50 - 23 March 2024.pdf
    312.9 KB · Views: 51