2024 Inter-Valley Conference Schedules and Discussion

Football is a different animal. It's a safety thing. It's not really safe for a school like TCC to play a lot of teams. They have to be very selective in who they play or they won't complete the season
Correct. Which is why they should not be in a league with Indian valley, claymont, etc

My daughter in law told me tonight that the TV job is open. The coach told the players today that he was leaving TV. Hopefully the Trojans can attract a coach to turn that program around.

Alright suspense is too much, Garaway schedule as follows

1. Riverview Black Bears H
2. Waynedale Golden Bears H
3. West Muskingum Tornados @
4. Youngstown Cardinal Mooney Cardinals H
5. Malvern Hornets H
6. Claymont Mustangs @
7. Indian Valley Braves H
8. Tuskey Valley Trojans @
9. Sandy Valley Cardinals @
10. Ridgewood Generals H

5. Malvern Hornets H
6. Claymont Mustangs @
10. Ridgewood Generals H
That is a big time to schedule the Cardinals. Despite them not being what they once were, that is still a challenging game that allows one to measure where your team is. Plus it is in a good spot on the schedule, not so early where you are still working out kinks. But no so late where it affects momentum heading into the playoffs. Good for the Pirates.

Leagues in high school football serve no other purpose than making athletic directors jobs easier. That includes the IVC. Very different than college football where playoffs, tv contracts, and revenue sharing come into play.

5. Malvern Hornets H
6. Claymont Mustangs @
10. Ridgewood Generals H
Week 4 is going to be exciting for sure. Good for the Pirates.

Leagues in high school football serve no other purpose than making athletic directors jobs easier. That includes the IVC. Very different than college football where playoffs, tv contracts, and revenue sharing come into play.
I disagree. Leagues serve as the basis to connect communities together and create rivalries with other schools. Winning a league is also the main focus of many HS athletic teams. Being part of a great league is one of the best things a HS can have.

I disagree. Leagues serve as the basis to connect communities together and create rivalries with other schools. Winning a league is also the main focus of many HS athletic teams. Being part of a great league is one of the best things a HS can have.
Most schools are not St Eds/Massillon/Glenville/Steubenville. Winning a league (a conference were I am) is a big achievement and goal for a lot of teams.

Best of luck to Coach Dickerhoof as he moves on from TV to Louisville. I know TV football has been a struggle but I give Coach Dickerhoof a lot of credit. He is one of the nicest people you will ever meet and he inherited a very difficult situation with so many players and coaches leaving TV for reasons that had nothing to do with him.

Despite all of that and all of the tough Friday nights I never one single time heard Coach Dickerhoof blame anybody, complain about any of the transfers, complain about all of the coaches that left, nothing. He never said a single negative word about anybody.

I know he is excited about his new opportunity at Louisville and if you've spent any time talking to him he loves talking X&O's and offensive football and I think he'll do a great job for the Leopards.

To add to the league commentary
many times your league official is also the ref assigner or a ref himself.
A league can provide a pool of refs for all sports and yes cut down on the work of an AD
Many small schools have ADs that wear many hats or still have a partial teaching duty. (this is where being in a league to ease the job comes into play)

To add to the league commentary
many times your league official is also the ref assigner or a ref himself.
A league can provide a pool of refs for all sports and yes cut down on the work of an AD
Many small schools have ADs that wear many hats or still have a partial teaching duty. (this is where being in a league to ease the job comes into play)
How many schools in the IVC have ADs that still teach classes? I think most have full time ADs don't they?

Respect to the Pirates. Proud of them for stepping up finally.

TV coach certainly left it better than he found it. Good luck to him!

Respect to the Pirates. Proud of them for stepping up finally.

TV coach certainly left it better than he found it. Good luck to him!
People forget that TV was just a few crazy plays away from being a 7-3 team in 2018. They had a chance to win every game that season except Indian Valley and beat Garaway in week 10 to cost the Pirates a share of the IVC and knock them out of the playoffs.

It'll be interesting to see what type of applicants TV gets. There are certainly some challenging aspects of that job but also a ton of potential. TV has won more IVC titles than any other school since the expansion and the last two Players of the Year in football were TV kids who transferred. In fact, a few of the favorites for next year's PoY are TV kids. So the talent is in the school system. It's just keeping it there and getting it on the field wearing red & black.

Looking at next year, the entire line and backfield returns and there is a young RB who has a chance to be really, really good so the new coach has something to work with. The program just needs to build the infrastructure and depth

I really hope the Trojans get the right fit. From everything I hear the new superintendent is taking the hire very seriously and is committed to getting the program relevant again.

Time will tell

People forget that TV was just a few crazy plays away from being a 7-3 team in 2018. They had a chance to win every game that season except Indian Valley and beat Garaway in week 10 to cost the Pirates a share of the IVC and knock them out of the playoffs.

It'll be interesting to see what type of applicants TV gets. There are certainly some challenging aspects of that job but also a ton of potential. TV has won more IVC titles than any other school since the expansion and the last two Players of the Year in football were TV kids who transferred. In fact, a few of the favorites for next year's PoY are TV kids. So the talent is in the school system. It's just keeping it there and getting it on the field wearing red & black.

Looking at next year, the entire line and backfield returns and there is a young RB who has a chance to be really, really good so the new coach has something to work with. The program just needs to build the infrastructure and depth

I really hope the Trojans get the right fit. From everything I hear the new superintendent is taking the hire very seriously and is committed to getting the program relevant again.

Time will tell
Any updates on this position? How long is it posted and any perceived interest?

Any updates on this position? How long is it posted and any perceived interest?
No real update other than there is definitely some solid interest in the job. Hopefully there will be a few qualified candidates who match up with the job opening TV has. The application window is open until the end of March and I'd expect the interview process to be thorough. I would expect the hire to made at the May BOE meeting. The April meeting is on April 8th so that's a pretty quick turnaround from interviews.

I don't think they need to rush the hire. The most important thing is to get the right person for the job. To me (and this is just my opinion nothing anyone else has said), I hope they find someone who wants to make TV their home, will invest heavily into developing through the youth and will run an offensive line driven program. It may not go that way. That person may not exist in the applicant pool or they may value different things in the next head coach.

The good news is a few of the younger players have really stepped up and taken a leadership role and are rallying the kids to get into the weight room. Weight room attendance has been pretty good so that's an encouraging sign. I will say this, for the most part the school seems very hungry for some football success. There was a lot of excitement in the school/community when the team started strong last year. We'll see how it plays out.

OHSAA released their preliminary 2024-2025 & 2025-2026 enrollment numbers. Here are the boys - girls numbers.

Indian Valley - 234 - 190
Claymont - 198 - 164
Sandy Valley - 167- 154
Tusky Valley - 160 - 159
Ridgewood - 142 - 132
Garaway - 139 - 107
Hiland - 110 - 91

Buckeye Trail - 126 - 111
Newcomerstown - 122 - 101
East Canton - 107 - 94
Malvern - 91 - 78
Strasburg - 69 - 63
TCC - 38 - 34
Conotton Valley - 70 - 55

Tusky Valley's next year 8th grade and younger are all very good football classes. If they all stay, the future is pretty bright.

Tusky Valley's next year 8th grade and younger are all very good football classes. If they all stay, the future is pretty bright.
So their current 7th grade class is good? That's good but it takes a lot more than one class to turn around a progam especially when you league has established programs like RW, IV and Garaway.

OHSAA released their preliminary 2024-2025 & 2025-2026 enrollment numbers. Here are the boys - girls numbers.

Claymont - 198 - 164
Sandy Valley - 167- 154
Tusky Valley - 160 - 159
Ridgewood - 142 - 132
Garaway - 139 - 107
Hiland - 110 - 91

East Canton - 107 - 94
Malvern - 91 - 78
Strasburg - 69 - 63
TCC - 38 - 34
Yeah, let’s continue to play that crossover game where the big schools have about a 2-1 advantage in enrollment. No wonder some of the smaller schools are refusing to play them. I hope Strasburg does also!

Yeah, let’s continue to play that crossover game where the big schools have about a 2-1 advantage in enrollment. No wonder some of the smaller schools are refusing to play them. I hope Strasburg does also!
Both Garaway and Malvern on our the lower end of enrollment in their divisions and yet they are the best programs in best division.

Claymont - 198 - 164
Sandy Valley - 167- 154
Tusky Valley - 160 - 159
Ridgewood - 142 - 132
Garaway - 139 - 107
Hiland - 110 - 91

East Canton - 107 - 94
Malvern - 91 - 78
Strasburg - 69 - 63
TCC - 38 - 34
Will be interesting to see what division cutoffs are. Way, Wood, Trail, Newctown, all could be D6 and TV possibly back up to D5? Pretty big drop off in enrollment for Wood and Garaway. I’m sure they will change some when competitive balance numbers are factored in.

Last edited:
It's been mentioned before but the perfect way to solve it would be to just cut two off the top and two off the bottom. So the new league would be this.

Sandy Valley - 167- 154
Tusky Valley - 160 - 159
Ridgewood - 142 - 132
Garaway - 139 - 107
Hiland - 110 - 91
East Canton - 107 - 94
Malvern - 91 - 78
Strasburg - 69 - 63

Since Hiland doesn't have football you would have a 9 team league. If Strasburg wants to opt out of football you would still have a great 8 team football league. Then you would have 10 teams for all of your other sports.

It would stink to lose IV because they bring some quality to the league but would anyone be upset about losing TCC, Conotton Valley or Claymont?

I agree it's pointless, the bigger schools gain nothing by playing the crossover games, they could add a bigger OOC game. And the small school gets beat up maybe once in awhile a good Malvern team. But it's IMHO it's a lose lose situation for all parties.

Any word on the TV job? I think they should be close to a selection given the time that has transpired.

The players met the new coach this past Monday.

Well, who is it? The board has already met this month and didn’t approve a coach. Yes, I know they can have a special meeting and name a coach or they can even wait until the May meeting. Most superintendents have the ability to hire people in between meetings and they can begin their duties as long as all of their credentials are current. Surprised no announcement if what you say is true.

Well, who is it? The board has already met this month and didn’t approve a coach. Yes, I know they can have a special meeting and name a coach or they can even wait until the May meeting. Most superintendents have the ability to hire people in between meetings and they can begin their duties as long as all of their credentials are current. Surprised no announcement if what you say is true.
It will be made official at the May board meeting. Tusky Valley isn't going to publicly announce the hiring but the new coach did meet with players.

Job #1 is to put together a great staff. Hopefully it works out. Every school benefits from a good football program.