High School Sports and the April 8 Eclipse

Blue Jay Fan

I'm guessing every school in the path of totality is going to be closed that day. Are all athletic events in and around the path of totality also postponed? With the expected traffic trying to get to and from a sporting event could be a nightmare. What's going on with your school?

I know some schools are closed but why? Let them out at 1 pm and let them go home or have an event at the school outside at the stadium. Kids have missed enough school in the past 4 years.

I know some schools are closed but why? Let them out at 1 pm and let them go home or have an event at the school outside at the stadium. Kids have missed enough school in the past 4 years.
Government officials and their scare tactics have people in our area believing there will be an ADDITIONAL 100-150K people in our area (less than 50k even live in the county) , stand still traffic for 12-18 hours, phone/internet outages, and food and gas shortages and some are even contemplating cancelling the next day already.

They are instructing businesses to have 3-4x cash on hand with the expected outages to CC processers.

Vendors are pressuring businesses to place extra orders 4-6 weeks out to ensure they will be able to get through the surge and delays in getting good after the fact.

I am just not buying it is going to be that substantial of an issue.

but I do agree to cancel the school events that evening though because even if 10% of wha they are saying is true then travel will be a nutroll

School and all activities are canceled for that day. We even received a message from the AD stating no practices are allowed on that day.

It's already going to start getting darker by 1. No reason to put kids who drive or busses out on the roads at that time if they don't need to be. It would be complete darkness by the time some of the bus routes end around 3. Also, traffic in a lot of places is expected to be much higher than normal in the hours leading up to the eclipse

Lol, ok uncle. I honestly didn’t even know about this til a couple weeks ago. My wife is a VP at a Northern Ky grade school. She wasn’t aware until I told her.

Lol, ok uncle. I honestly didn’t even know about this til a couple weeks ago. My wife is a VP at a Northern Ky grade school. She wasn’t aware until I told her.
For what it’s worth, this may explain why.
1709927437871.jpeg

I’m predicting a disaster on par with what Y2K brought us, but I do understand the need for planning for the worst.

I'm guessing every school in the path of totality is going to be closed that day. Are all athletic events in and around the path of totality also postponed? With the expected traffic trying to get to and from a sporting event could be a nightmare. What's going on with your school?
Why would you close anything? It's not like the power is going to go out or it's unsafe to be at school or playing a sport. It's not even going to get fully dark, even in the path of totality! It will be like dawn or dusk. It's going to hit Ohio between 3:10 and 3:15 and that's it. Maybe don't be actively throwing BP in this window? What are we even doing here?

Why would you close anything? It's not like the power is going to go out or it's unsafe to be at school or playing a sport. It's not even going to get fully dark, even in the path of totality! It will be like dawn or dusk. It's going to hit Ohio between 3:10 and 3:15 and that's it. Maybe don't be actively throwing BP in this window? What are we even doing here?
Hotels in a lot of areas along the line are completely sold out. Campgrounds are full and fairgrounds are already expecting to be packed with campers and parking. Once it ends at 3:15 it's not like it's going to be sunny at 3:20 lol. In the places closest to the line traffic is expected to be a nightmare once the eclipse ends as people pack up and head home. Nobody knows for sure....so I guess everyone is just playing it safe

Liability.

Here is the thing...local governments are making a H U G E deal about this. Huuuuuuge, and warning of many things.

Issues arise and you are in the path, have a game, and the scum sucking bottom feeding ambulance chasing lawyers will have a field day.

Hotels in a lot of areas along the line are completely sold out. Campgrounds are full and fairgrounds are already expecting to be packed with campers and parking. Once it ends at 3:15 it's not like it's going to be sunny at 3:20 lol. In the places closest to the line traffic is expected to be a nightmare once the eclipse ends as people pack up and head home. Nobody knows for sure....so I guess everyone is just playing it safe
There's going to be a reasonable amount of daylight even in the path of totality, which, again, ends at 3:15. First pitch typically isn't until 4:30 for high school games, so there should literally be no issues.

Government officials and their scare tactics have people in our area believing there will be an ADDITIONAL 100-150K people in our area (less than 50k even live in the county) , stand still traffic for 12-18 hours, phone/internet outages, and food and gas shortages and some are even contemplating cancelling the next day already.

They are instructing businesses to have 3-4x cash on hand with the expected outages to CC processers.

Vendors are pressuring businesses to place extra orders 4-6 weeks out to ensure they will be able to get through the surge and delays in getting good after the fact.

but I do agree to cancel the school events that evening though because even if 10% of wha they are saying is true then travel will be a nutroll
There was a total solar eclipse in the US in 2017 and everything they're saying will happen here happened to cities and counties in the 2017 path. Ohio sent a delegation to Kentucky in 2017 to view events. It took them 5 hours to get there and 17 hours to get back.

There was a total solar eclipse in the US in 2017 and everything they're saying will happen here happened to cities and counties in the 2017 path. Ohio sent a delegation to Kentucky in 2017 to view events. It took them 5 hours to get there and 17 hours to get back.
Thank You! I was just about to post something similar. Not that I EXACTLY knew what will happen, but the fact that thete was a total eclipse in 2017. All one has to do is look back at communities that were in totality and either read or call officials to experience what they went through. This is not the equivalent of Y2K where it never happened before. Plemty of documentation on planet Earth that went through totality. Traffic will be a nightmare, big cities and smalll towns.

Franklin County Indiana has been making similar preparations for the last year............all Govt. agencies involved/schools-activities closed/FEMA on notice/etc.etc.

For 4 minutes of Eclipse TOTALITY (3:04-3:08) expecting 'massive' influx of 'tourists'/visitors/etc.
IF Mother Nature makes it a cloudy day.......oops.

1. There are some very real transportation/traffic issues.

2. Most parents want their kids out of school for the event. If the school insists that what the school does is more important, parents will justifiably disagree and keep their kids at home anyway. Why pick a fight that the school will lose with parents/voters?

Not every single town in the totality area is going to be inundated with tourists …
Just no way …
44 million people live in the path of totality no way another 44 million people are going to travel to see it. So not even going to double the number of people in towns. And it is not like all the people are going to one spot in town many will just stop out on a country road so any traffic will be spread out. Add in the only 30% in Ohio of no clouds many will travel to places less likely to be cloudy.

A buddy went to Kentucky in 2017, he said the amount of people was crazy,5 hours to get there 16 to get home with an average speed of zero for a lot of the time.

A buddy went to Kentucky in 2017, he said the amount of people was crazy,5 hours to get there 16 to get home with an average speed of zero for a lot of the time.
I left my house north of Cincinnati at 3 am. Traffic on I-65 south of Louisville was an absolute standstill. Made it to Bowling Green, KY (not my original destination) with about 10 minutes to spare.

The eclipse is going to extend from Texas to Maine. Good chance this time of the year it is going to be raining or cloudy in Ohio, I think most "visitors" will head south to watch the eclipse. People today are literally scared of their own shadow. A sidenote too bad the eclipse did not happen on groundhogs' day.

It's already going to start getting darker by 1. No reason to put kids who drive or busses out on the roads at that time if they don't need to be. It would be complete darkness by the time some of the bus routes end around 3. Also, traffic in a lot of places is expected to be much higher than normal in the hours leading up to the eclipse
But it is ok to have buses driving in the snow at night and teenagers on the road (snowing) for bball games. Have to keep our priorities in order.

I think they are going by what happened down in TENN, back in 2017..... at least that is what i have heard over and over as the reason.

Much ado about nothing. It'll be a cool once in a lifetime event and over in 5 minutes. Shutting down the world over it is insane but government can't help themselves creating a crisis.

But it is ok to have buses driving in the snow at night and teenagers on the road (snowing) for bball games. Have to keep our priorities in order.
It’s not about weather, it’s about the thousands of other drivers who will be on the road. Standstill traffic. People who are going to pull off the road and park to watch the eclipse.

Much ado about nothing. It'll be a cool once in a lifetime event and over in 5 minutes. Shutting down the world over it is insane but government can't help themselves creating a crisis.
You clearly have no idea what happened during the 2017 Total Solar Eclipse that went across the US from S. Carolina to Oregon. Google 2017 total solar eclipse and read a little bit and tell me how it'll be over in 5 minutes.

We all know it’s gonna end up being cloudy that day anyway.

Every game that we assigned at the high school or junior high-level has canceled that day. However, all of the travel and recreation programs we assigned have dug their heels in and our existing that they will be playing that evening. Stay tuned for more information.

While there will be a lot of people in this area, and I live in it, it is not going to be the fire and brimstone scenario they’re discussing. People need to calm down and stop worrying so much. For example, they keep going on about how there’s going to be no gas. So get gas three days before and then again three days after. Stay home and watch it from your backyard. It’s really not that hard.

We all know it’s gonna end up being cloudy that day anyway.

Every game that we assigned at the high school or junior high-level has canceled that day. However, all of the travel and recreation programs we assigned have dug their heels in and our existing that they will be playing that evening. Stay tuned for more information.

While there will be a lot of people in this area, and I live in it, it is not going to be the fire and brimstone scenario they’re discussing. People need to calm down and stop worrying so much. For example, they keep going on about how there’s going to be no gas. So get gas three days before and then again three days after. Stay home and watch it from your backyard. It’s really not that hard.
Travel programs have games on Monday?
If they do not play would they have to refund money, or be out that money for that night? Follow the money....

HS cancelling a game doesnt lose money that night................

As for rec programs....WTH to places start their rec games so damned early? Hell we dont start having games until mid May.
I know why..they wanna get it done with early in the summer........

Drives me nuts to see REC programs shut up shop at the end of June and the ballfields are empty all july. Makes me sad!