Disqualified wrestler advances, while 2nd wrestler is Disqualified after tournament (same weight)!

Does anyone know what rule 4-5-3 states? And if they didn't follow protocol who's fault is that? I mostly blame the coach but the wrestler has now been in nearly 2 full seasons of high school wrestling and should know that weigh-ins are occurring.

Placing a wrestler in any tournament event is not a rule. It is policy governed by this office. We had a situation in a boys sectional where a wrestler was assigned to a sectional on Friday night and he was not coming off concussion protocol until Saturday. We moved him to a Saturday sectional. There are over a dozen instances where we have let schools/wrestlers into this year’s tournament after the deadline for a plethora of reasons. Those decisions are made in our office and are not made by coaches or our state rules interpreter.
As I'm sure this was petitioned/appealed PRIOR to the event, not after the wrestler was DQ'd

My sectional had 6 106s, one of the others only had 3, can I petition to take my wrestler to the one that had 3? With this precedent, why not?

FYI, just using your letter for my quote not trying to reply to you directly.

Maybe cameras need checked at that location as I understand she was in the hallways and not in the restroom the whole time. AND how does it take 50 minutes to handle a "female issue". This is absolutely absurd it happened. I bet my daughter wouldn't have been allowed to choose another location for ANY reason! I guess at this point rules don't apply and it's now open for any violation.

Thanks for posting.

I was unaware that situations like this (moving an individual to a different sectional apart from his/her team competition site) had happened before.

Mr. Rugg commented that there are “a dozen instances where we have let schools/wrestlers into this year’s tournament after the deadline for a plethora of reasons.

With this being the case, can someone point me to the direction of one of these instances? Moreover, I think it is now up to Mr. Rugg to provide the documentation for such instances. Surely, he has receipts.
This whole situation confirms what I said in a previous post about Beau, on a whim deciding to disregard rules on the order of weigh-ins and the drawing of weight classes when it was mandated, without communicating to the officials or the league commissioner.

Thanks for posting.

I was unaware that situations like this (moving an individual to a different sectional apart from his/her team competition site) had happened before.

Mr. Rugg commented that there are “a dozen instances where we have let schools/wrestlers into this year’s tournament after the deadline for a plethora of reasons.

With this being the case, can someone point me to the direction of one of these instances? Moreover, I think it is now up to Mr. Rugg to provide the documentation for such instances. Surely, he has receipts.
I'm a bit confused about the moving a wrestler to a Saturday sectional because on Baum's page it lists boys sectionals as all being on Saturday 2/24. It doesn't look like there were any 2 day sectionals anymore. I would think this is because the match limit is 6 now not 5. So is he lying? Or is he using examples from previous seasons?

Does anyone know what rule 4-5-3 states? And if they didn't follow protocol who's fault is that? I mostly blame the coach but the wrestler has now been in nearly 2 full seasons of high school wrestling and should know that weigh-ins are occurring.
20240226_104045.jpg

20240226_104057.jpg

I'm a bit confused about the moving a wrestler to a Saturday sectional because on Baum's page it lists boys sectionals as all being on Saturday 2/24. It doesn't look like there were any 2 day sectionals anymore. I would think this is because the match limit is 6 now not 5. So is he lying? Or is he using examples from previous seasons?
I would guess he is lying, but that still doesn't justify his decision to go against the protocols in place for this wrestler and all the facts that are getting out. The sport deserves better than someone arbitrarily choosing who gets special treatment.

I would guess he is lying, but that still doesn't justify his decision to go against the protocols in place for this wrestler and all the facts that are getting out. The sport deserves better than someone arbitrarily choosing who gets special treatment.
I don't like playing the "what if?" game, but, had all 4 pre-regional sites in region 2 competed Friday, would she had received this same treatment? Would they had allowed this wrestler to crossover to one of region 3's pre-regionals since all 4 competed on Sunday?

Again, a bad precedent OHSAA is setting here.

So all the coach or wrestler had to do was ask the weigh-in official and they would have been granted leave for a period of time. They chose not to do that. Just seems very suspect to me.

I'll call it how I see it. She checked her weight. Was well over. Coach came up with a way to get her to compete 2 days later that he knew OHSAA wouldn't want a firestorm in the media denying her to compete. OHSAA didn't want to get sued or crucified in the public.

We in the wrestling world know this isn't right but if it's on the TV news/social media. "OMG state finalist wrestler not allowed to weigh-in/compete because she was on her period". The media will run with that all day long and it would go national without anyone knowing the real facts.

So all the coach or wrestler had to do was ask the weigh-in official and they would have been granted leave for a period of time. They chose not to do that. Just seems very suspect to me.

I'll call it how I see it. She checked her weight. Was well over. Coach came up with a way to get her to compete 2 days later that he knew OHSAA wouldn't want a firestorm in the media denying her to compete. OHSAA didn't want to get sued or crucified in the public.

We in the wrestling world know this isn't right but if it's on the TV news. "OMG state finalist wrestler not allowed to weigh-in/compete because she was on her period". The media will run with that all day long and it would go national without anyone knowing the real facts.
This is why I posted this, the story does need to come to light because it is a clear violation of rules and precedent and not only does the wrestler in question need to remain disqualified, the person(s) who made this decision need fired.

We in the wrestling world know this isn't right but if it's on the TV news/social media. "OMG state finalist wrestler not allowed to weigh-in/compete because she was on her period". The media will run with that all day long and it would go national without anyone knowing the real facts.
Correct.

Like I've said to others in person, I'd like to see what she actually weighed, if she was well under, then yeah, the story seems plausible and do better next time by telling someone. But if she was over still or right at weight, then this was all to buy time.

I'm a firm believer in letting the individual still "weigh-in" during an appeal, because there is the concrete evidence to back up or refute any of this. If she's over then there is no point to appeal to OHSAA. Or if they still want to appeal, then there is the evidence that she wouldn't have made it anyways. Plus locking in the weight at the time of the actual posted weigh-in isn't going to allow them more time to lose.

Is it true this wrestler also made scratch weight at 105 at Pre Regional? And had been competing at 110 all season? Genuinely asking. Heard that today and was just seeking confirmation.

What was the wrestler's official weigh in weight on Sunday?

Is it true this wrestler also made scratch weight at 105 at Pre Regional? And had been competing at 110 all season? Genuinely asking. Heard that today and was just seeking confirmation.

This must be something different, the wrestler in question has been competing all season at 105.

There was one in that region/pre-region that had been wrestling up all season, but I do not think it was the Sandusky wrestler. She has results online wrestling 105 at Findlay FIGHT tournament in December.

Everyone needs to send emails and leave VMs 3 or 4 times a day until this is corrected. It is an easy fix, pull her and do it now. He is comparing apples to oranges when he talks about the young man with the concussion. There was prior communication and no rule was broken. This is a clear violation of the rule. I have sent several emails and will be sending more.
brugg@ohsaa.org

P: 614-549-6958

Why would being on her period impact her weighing in?

Are your first two paragraphs above, "the real facts?"

Unless girls have a different set of rules than boys (I know this whole thread is about that exact thing) this has been allowed since the weight management protocol was put in place many years ago. You have until sectionals to get to your lowest weight class allowable by the program.

"Placing a wrestler in any tournament event is not a rule. It is policy governed by this office."

Covered.
Any lawyers here? I am not but I have to deal with laws and lawyers all the time and I can tell you this statement begs some follow-up questions. It doesn’t seem clear whether or not there is any policy at all. If there is then what is it? If he is saying that whatever happens is up to the whims of “this office” (meaning him, unilaterally), then there is effectively no policy at all.

For example, he could decide to make pre-regionals just like OAC districts, where each individual goes to whatever district he/she wants. There aren’t really rules, it’s just up to him.

Any lawyers here? I am not but I have to deal with laws and lawyers all the time and I can tell you this statement begs some follow-up questions. It doesn’t seem clear whether or not there is any policy at all. If there is then what is it? If he is saying that whatever happens is up to the whims of “this office” (meaning him, unilaterally), then there is effectively no policy at all.

For example, he could decide to make pre-regionals just like OAC districts, where each individual goes to whatever district he/she wants. There aren’t really rules, it’s just up to him.
Are we talking about Beau or "Sleepy Joe"?