Is 1 and done (NBA) the best thing to ever happen to Woman's College Basketball

Agreed. I can name more non-Ohio college women's basketball players than I can name non-Ohio men's basketball players.

Maybe NIL will turn college basketball around and let some stars hang around for a few years.

We're in an odd circumstance now. Women's college basketball is at an all time high from star power and the push for equality. Does that mean it's more popular? That's debatable. Alot of this is simply marketing. Fox, ESPN is REALLY pushing women's hoops and Caitlyn Clark is at the center of it. But as we move forward, is it sustainable? USC has a freshman, JuJu Watkins who will likely replace Clark as the queen of college hoops next year. But the big thing will ultimate be ratings. I still feel there is an overall limitation to how many will watch women's college hoops. The same thing exists at the high school levels. Many schools have pushed traditional boys high school Friday/ Saturday games and put the girls in at least half of the Friday nights, feeling this is "prime time". Well, the results are mixed at best. Even high school boys games have dropped in attendance, and girls really are unchanged. All you've done is take gate money away from schools. People love routine, and if your high school boys team plays every Friday from November to February, you'll attract the basketball crowd. But if you put games on Thursdays and Tuesdays and Wednesdays, you lose people.
NBA hardships or one and dones have been around for 50 years. Eventually the NBA needs to develop a legitimate minor league system that will push these kids who don't want to be college students away from the college game.

Agreed. I can name more non-Ohio college women's basketball players than I can name non-Ohio men's basketball players.

Maybe NIL will turn college basketball around and let some stars hang around for a few years.
From what I can see, NIL to this point is basically just keeping around those that are fringe NBA prospects. Kids that would be 2nd round picks or undrafted that are more than likely Summer League/G League/Overseas type players.

Often these guys are also taking that "one free" transfer as well, like with Hunter Dickinson leaving Michigan for Kansas this year. The guys that are NBA fringe at best are all going to skip around in college trying to maximize their NIL payday. It may improve the college game some, but IMO it isn't going to improve player retention within programs.

NIL is great for the student athlete, bad for the overall college game. There is no way there will be any major changes against this because you have to allow college student-athletes the same opportunities as the rank and file students. College students have always been able to transfer, and always will be. The major flaw in the NIL system is that it puts the one thing that destroys so many things that everyone chases...money.

I wonder how tonight's ratings of the Woman's games will compare to yesterday's Men's games,

The men's game definitely lacks star power. Last great college player's maybe Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, Seth Curry (but he played for a small college) and a select few others. One and done definitely hurt college bball when it comes to tv ratings.

The men's game definitely lacks star power. Last great college player's maybe Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, Seth Curry (but he played for a small college) and a select few others. One and done definitely hurt college bball when it comes to tv ratings.
Doug McDermott, Tyler Hansbrough, Kemba Walker, Jimmer Freddette, JJ, Adam Morrison, Juan Dixon, Shabazz Napier, Evan Turner, Obi Toppin, Gordan Hayward, John Wall! There’s a long list of great stars you’re forgetting.

Doug McDermott, Tyler Hansbrough, Kemba Walker, Jimmer Freddette, JJ, Adam Morrison, Juan Dixon, Shabazz Napier, Evan Turner, Obi Toppin, Gordan Hayward, John Wall! There’s a long list of great stars you’re forgetting.
You may or may not have known those names off the top of your head or used Google but the average bball fan does not. Most people that tune in sports do so to watch the "stars" the Larry Birds, Michael Jordans etc. College bball is a good ex. of that.

What's the one thing that keeps coming up from last night's men's game? UConn is a TEAM. They play together, they run a motion offense, they play defense. Why do we need star power? When is it bigger to have a star player than a great team? I think this is what's been created by the media and others. It's great to watch these college men's teams build and have guys who fit together. I think there are many "more better" college players now and that makes it more difficult for an individual player to stand out.
On the women's side, South Carolina just went through the season unbeaten. Outside of the big girl who's 6'7", few can name the others on this great team, meanwhile every other show or commercial on ESPN is pushing Caitlyn Clark. Heck Paige Buetkers was bigger two years ago than she is now. Just because someone has a commercial doesn't make them fameous. I saw the Joel Embiid AT& T commercial 10 times before I realized JuJu Watkins was in it.

What's the one thing that keeps coming up from last night's men's game? UConn is a TEAM. They play together, they run a motion offense, they play defense. Why do we need star power? When is it bigger to have a star player than a great team? I think this is what's been created by the media and others. It's great to watch these college men's teams build and have guys who fit together. I think there are many "more better" college players now and that makes it more difficult for an individual player to stand out.
On the women's side, South Carolina just went through the season unbeaten. Outside of the big girl who's 6'7", few can name the others on this great team, meanwhile every other show or commercial on ESPN is pushing Caitlyn Clark. Heck Paige Buetkers was bigger two years ago than she is now. Just because someone has a commercial doesn't make them fameous. I saw the Joel Embiid AT& T commercial 10 times before I realized JuJu Watkins was in it.
UConn has 3 guys that will be drafted this year

I think Castle could be an NBA player, who else? But even guys like him, I mean how many of these guys are 6'4" to 6'8" wings who are now a dime a dozen guys in the NBA?
For the love of God learn how to search things on the internet. Google>nba mock draft >search

Castle and Clingan are project lottery level picks. Karaban a 2nd rounder

For the love of God learn how to search things on the internet. Google>nba mock draft >search

Castle and Clingan are project lottery level picks. Karaban a 2nd rounder
Go back over the last 10 years and look at the first round of the NBA draft, even lottery picks. Let me know how many of those guys are still playing. Many after the first 10 picks are no names. There is a draft every single year and 64 guys are selected, that doesn't mean there are 64 NBA caliber players.

Go back over the last 10 years and look at the first round of the NBA draft, even lottery picks. Let me know how many of those guys are still playing. Many after the first 10 picks are no names. There is a draft every single year and 64 guys are selected, that doesn't mean there are 64 NBA caliber players.
First of all, there are only 30 teams in the NBA, so there are only 60 draft picks instead of 64. Your point is still taken though.

I'll look at the 2014 NBA draft. It's plausible to think that the more recent drafts would have more players still in the NBA. To me, any player that makes it past his rookie contract has done well for himself. I won't bother with which team picked the player because that's rather irrelevant for this exercise. All we want to know is who still currently in the NBA. Blue names are still in the NBA. Red names are still playing professionally but outside the NBA. Black names are not currently playing professionally. I used Wikipedia for this - not the greatest source, but it was easy to run through the information.

1. Andrew Wiggins
2. Jabari Parker
3. Joel Embiid
4. Aaron Gordon
5. Dante Exum
6. Marcus Smart
7. Julius Randle
8. Nik Stauskas
9. Noah Vonleh
10. Elfrid Payton
11. Doug McDermott
12. Dario Saric
13. Zach LaVine
14. TJ Warren
15. Adreian Payne
16. Jusuf Nurkic
17. James Young
18. Tyler Ennis
19. Gary Harris
20. Bruno Caboclo
21. Mitch McGary
22. Jordan Adams
23. Rodney Hood
24. Shabazz Napier
25. Clint Capela
26. PJ Hairston
27. Bogdan Bogdanovich
28. CJ Wilcox
29. Josh Huestis
30. Kyle Anderson

That's 15 of 30 guys from the 2014 draft still collecting an NBA paycheck in their 10th season. Incidentally, Jokic was the 41st pick in this draft, but he remained in Europe for the 2014-2015 season.

First of all, there are only 30 teams in the NBA, so there are only 60 draft picks instead of 64. Your point is still taken though.

I'll look at the 2014 NBA draft. It's plausible to think that the more recent drafts would have more players still in the NBA. To me, any player that makes it past his rookie contract has done well for himself. I won't bother with which team picked the player because that's rather irrelevant for this exercise. All we want to know is who still currently in the NBA. Blue names are still in the NBA. Red names are still playing professionally but outside the NBA. Black names are not currently playing professionally. I used Wikipedia for this - not the greatest source, but it was easy to run through the information.

1. Andrew Wiggins
2. Jabari Parker
3. Joel Embiid
4. Aaron Gordon
5. Dante Exum
6. Marcus Smart
7. Julius Randle
8. Nik Stauskas
9. Noah Vonleh
10. Elfrid Payton
11. Doug McDermott
12. Dario Saric
13. Zach LaVine
14. TJ Warren
15. Adreian Payne
16. Jusuf Nurkic
17. James Young
18. Tyler Ennis
19. Gary Harris
20. Bruno Caboclo
21. Mitch McGary
22. Jordan Adams
23. Rodney Hood
24. Shabazz Napier
25. Clint Capela
26. PJ Hairston
27. Bogdan Bogdanovich
28. CJ Wilcox
29. Josh Huestis
30. Kyle Anderson

That's 15 of 30 guys from the 2014 draft still collecting an NBA paycheck in their 10th season. Incidentally, Jokic was the 41st pick in this draft, but he remained in Europe for the 2014-2015 season.
I'll give you credit, you picked a year that probably produced more NBA players than most. 50% in the NBA after 10 years is pretty good. Also, when you say collecting an NBA paycheck, does that include G league?

Just a quick look at the 2015 draft and I think there are fewer guys still in the league.

But here's my overall point, with NIL now and many of these guys can at least make enough to keep themselves and family out of poverty (LOL), why not stay in college and build a college legacy?? To me, that's very important. At least no matter what happens at the next level, you've got that. I've seen too many of these guys who are lesser players and drafted on potential, and they never make it, they have no college degree, no legacy at their college and no pro career to speak of. That's incredibly sad to me.

I'll give you credit, you picked a year that probably produced more NBA players than most. 50% in the NBA after 10 years is pretty good. Also, when you say collecting an NBA paycheck, does that include G league?

Just a quick look at the 2015 draft and I think there are fewer guys still in the league.

But here's my overall point, with NIL now and many of these guys can at least make enough to keep themselves and family out of poverty (LOL), why not stay in college and build a college legacy?? To me, that's very important. At least no matter what happens at the next level, you've got that. I've seen too many of these guys who are lesser players and drafted on potential, and they never make it, they have no college degree, no legacy at their college and no pro career to speak of. That's incredibly sad to me.
You're giving me too much credit. Off the top of my head, I couldn't tell you which year any current NBA players were drafted except for LeBron and others from his draft class (same year I graduated college). I selected the farthest year back from the 10-year window with the expectation that more years removed from the draft means more time for players to wash out of the NBA. My use of the phrase "collecting an NBA paycheck" means just that - NBA only, no G-League. Any current G-Leaguers are in red.

The Men didn’t have star power this year. Wait until next year with Cooper Flagg and Ace Bailey.

You will know Cooper Flagg by this time next yr. He’s basically a modern Christian Laettner. Bailey might get lost playing at Rutgers but he’s teaming up with Ron Harper’s son who is the #3 ranked player in the class.

Even though he was a one-and-done, another name that jumps to my mind as recently having huge star power and drew a ton of viewers was Zion Williamson.

You may or may not have known those names off the top of your head or used Google but the average bball fan does not. Most people that tune in sports do so to watch the "stars" the Larry Birds, Michael Jordans etc. College bball is a good ex. of that.
The average basketball fan didn’t know JJ Redick, Adam Morrison, Kemba Walker, Tyler Hansbrough, etc.?!?! I know you tend to be naive about things outside the Big Ten, but you’d have to live in a cave to not know who those players are. Good grief.

The average basketball fan didn’t know JJ Redick, Adam Morrison, Kemba Walker, Tyler Hansbrough, etc.?!?! I know you tend to be naive about things outside the Big Ten, but you’d have to live in a cave to not know who those players are. Good grief.
None of those people you named are even close to the star power of a Jordan, Bird, Anthony, etc. just look at tv ratings, most people want to watch star players. Quit acting like you are an "expert", you might think you are one, but you are not.

I could ask 100 random people on the street who Kemba Walker is maybe 10 people would know, could ask the same question about who Michael Jordan is and 70% or more would know who MJ is.

Last edited:
Is the NBA 1 and done rule the best thing to ever happen to Woman's College Basketball. The Men's game has no more star power.
Tv ratings for the college bball game 14. 8 mill compare to that OSU - TTUN football game 19.1 million. College bball will never be close to what it once was because fans like star players which college bball have none of anymore cause they go to the NBA after one year. Womens ratings would have not been even close to what they were without Clark, that is a fact. So yes hubman you are correct.

Even though he was a one-and-done, another name that jumps to my mind as recently having huge star power and drew a ton of viewers was Zion Williamson.
That’s the type of hype Flagg will draw, especially in an era with open NIL. Im certain Zion got Nike $ under the table but it won’t be anything like what Flagg will make.