OCC Expansion Again!

Spot on. South-Western City Schools might be the most schizophrenic school district in the state. SWCS is, I think, taking the right path in letting Westland and Heights move to a league that's a better fit.

The Grove City and Central Crossing attendance areas fit the "OCC suburban" mold - lots of newer owner-occupied single-family housing in the $300K-$500K range.

The average home value in the FHHS district (everything in SWCS inside I-270 save for one medium-sized subdivision) is less than $175,000, and well over half the kids in the area live in rental housing. The numbers are similar for the Westland area., but I don't have the numbers in front of me. The student turnover rate is considerably higher as a result, and the families in general just don't have same level of resources. On top of that, Central Crossing's opening (primarily to relieve growth in the GCHS area) snapped up much of what higher-end housing exited in Westland.

Oddly enough, for the first twenty years or so of SWCS's existence, Franklin Heights was initially considered the wealthiest part of the district.
I believe Georgesville Rd and points west is Westland, or it was at one time?

Doesn’t Franklin Heights’ building, and the-then SWCS borders to Columbus, pre-date win-win also? I make this comment and ask because I thought it was older than Briggs. Which, if so, makes “win-win” sound… (maybe @bballfan48 can chime in and tie out the history lesson.)

Doesn’t Franklin Heights’ building, and the-then SWCS borders to Columbus, pre-date win-win also? I make this comment and ask because I thought it was older than Briggs. Which, if so, makes “win-win” sound… (maybe @bballfan48 can chime in and tie out the history lesson.)
Both Franklin Heights and the SWCS district go back to the 50's, about 20 years before Briggs. I believe Heights got a new high school building (or addition) five or six years ago. Win-Win was implemented in the 80's, wasn't it?

Franklin Heights leaving OCC is a great decision for both parties. Westland leaving is a tougher sell because it's just so big despite their lack of success for 20+ years except for a couple good runs in basketball in the 2010's. Although competitively I think it would make the most sense.

I think OCC just should wait for inevitable Olentangy or Hilliard or even Pickerington new high school for expansion.

Franklin Heights leaving OCC is a great decision for both parties. Westland leaving is a tougher sell because it's just so big despite their lack of success for 20+ years except for a couple good runs in basketball in the 2010's. Although competitively I think it would make the most sense.

I think OCC just should wait for inevitable Olentangy or Hilliard or even Pickerington new high school for expansion.
I don't think Westland is all that tough of sell....they get hammered, which in turn probably detracts kids from coming out for sports. Franklin Heights, Westland and Whitehall all in the same league works. All three would work in the City League as well.

Close enough.. Here's the current school attendance area - notice all the holes in the FH/Westland area. This was not due to Win-Win - but rather due to decisions made by individual homeowners or developers years in light of expansion of the Columbus city limits.

Not a joke, land for 5th HS off 23 is already in place and plans are in motion. Likely to hear a formal announcement in the upcoming school year.
West side of 23? Where abouts roughly? I heard years ago they were looking a couple miles south of the Jegs warehouse area.

imagine that, another levy to fund it all. This new HS would be just north of Liberty, so I'd assume they'd take the biggest hit from a redistricting standpoint.
IMG_4621.jpeg

here is a map of the attendance boundaries. according to the article, the new school would be located in the far northwest corner of the district, which is in Berlin territory. i’m guessing Berlin takes a big hit (although that northern area should see the most growth by a wide margin by 2027ish).

if i had to guess, the new school boundary will be the area north of the liberty boundary, and west of columbus pike. some small changes in other areas as well.

Great question. They also may need to look at replacing buildings like the old middle school and Olentangy high school.
Olentangy HS was built in 1990, shanahan middle in 1952 but the other 25 or so buldings were in the last 20 or so years. Olentangy was a D3 school 30 years ago. By the time the 5th Hs is built the district enrollment will be around 27k (27-28) and around 30k in 33-34. Last I saw max build out would be around 35-40k enrollment.

Same thing with the OVAC. There's 50 schools in that
And the OVAC has no scheduling rules or requirements except to say if you don’t play enough league games you’re ineligible for the title. A highly dysfunctional league trying to merge teams from two states with the oddest classification system ever seen.

Olentangy HS was built in 1990, shanahan middle in 1952 but the other 25 or so buldings were in the last 20 or so years. Olentangy was a D3 school 30 years ago. By the time the 5th Hs is built the district enrollment will be around 27k (27-28) and around 30k in 33-34. Last I saw max build out would be around 35-40k enrollment.
I would think sometime in the not-too-distant future a good number of houses will become empty nester which will slow the growth of the school's enrollment.

I would think sometime in the not-too-distant future a good number of houses will become empty nester which will slow the growth of the school's enrollment.
Eventually but a lot of them move to another district once their kids are gone. Only the orange hs zone is done w/ growth. I think the Berlin HS zone is only 50% developed. Based on projections it looks like about 400-500 new students each year until 33-34.

And the OVAC has no scheduling rules or requirements except to say if you don’t play enough league games you’re ineligible for the title. A highly dysfunctional league trying to merge teams from two states with the oddest classification system ever seen.
The OVAC isn't a conference; it's a cluster (there's another word I could put after that; but it'd likely offend some people). At least the OCC has divisions and structure, even despite how often it's adjusted (however necessary that might be).

The new school would be on border between Liberty and Delaware Townships. I don't think they'd go with Olentangy Delaware HS, so they'll have to break from their naming convention.

Eventually but a lot of them move to another district once their kids are gone. Only the orange hs zone is done w/ growth. I think the Berlin HS zone is only 50% developed. Based on projections it looks like about 400-500 new students each year until 33-34.
There are homes still being built within Orange HS area. If anything continued growth with OHS and Berlin would have Orange getting back neighborhoods that it lost from the last re districting.

I am not from central Ohio and keeping seeing the term "win-win" in any discussion about Columbus area schools. What is "win-win"? Some legal agreement?

I am not from central Ohio and keeping seeing the term "win-win" in any discussion about Columbus area schools. What is "win-win"? Some legal agreement?
If the Dispatch does not block access for you (it didn't for me and I do not subscribe):