2021 Southwestern Buckeye League

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t get it either. Monroe has 61 players so they got plenty of depth but who knows. Surely they could have had some other kid in there.
Heard about Monroe #6 getting hurt. Why was the kid on special teams FG block defense with 2 seconds left in half? Is Monroe that low on kids that they need their QB1 on the field in this situation? Feel awful for the kid and his family.

Heard about Monroe #6 getting hurt. Why was the kid on special teams FG block defense with 2 seconds left in half? Is Monroe that low on kids that they need their QB1 on the field in this situation? Feel awful for the kid and his family.
No. It's really dumb. They have plenty of kids. This falls on the coaches. They had him returning KO's early in the season as well which I also thought was really dumb, considering skill players is where they have the most depth. Ryan Miles, now the starting QB, is also a KOR and PR so we'll see if their smart enough to keep him off special teams. Can't imagine that they can afford to go 3 deep at the QB position.

I'm probably several weeks late, but I'm all in on Eaton. I've had doubt about that Bellbrook game for too long. Not that I didn't think it was a good win, but more of me expecting more from Bellbrook. Now seeing how Eaton handled Brookville as well, the Eagles look impressive. The win over Shawnee continues to look better and better as the Braves keep winning games. Eaton does still travel to VV in Week 9 and will face Monroe in Week 10. Both should be worthy opponents, but I would favor Eaton.

I'm probably several weeks late, but I'm all in on Eaton. I've had doubt about that Bellbrook game for too long. Not that I didn't think it was a good win, but more of me expecting more from Bellbrook. Now seeing how Eaton handled Brookville as well, the Eagles look impressive. The win over Shawnee continues to look better and better as the Braves keep winning games. Eaton does still travel to VV in Week 9 and will face Monroe in Week 10. Both should be worthy opponents, but I would favor Eaton.
Eaton is for sure the real deal this year heavy on senior leadership I believe they have 15 or 16.

I see what you are saying out of the Bellbrook game but Eaton did comepletely dominate the first half. Bellbrook got a few big plays back to back to gain some momentum. But when it counted the D stepped up and won them the game. I don’t believe the score represented how the game went. It could’ve easily been a blow out.

I see what you are saying out of the Bellbrook game but Eaton did comepletely dominate the first half. Bellbrook got a few big plays back to back to gain some momentum. But when it counted the D stepped up and won them the game. I don’t believe the score represented how the game went. It could’ve easily been a blow out.
To be honest I don’t think they took Eaton serious when preparing. They played some second string kids on the first couple offensive series and they where out of sync. It took Bellbrook some time to get going but when they did Eaton had a hard time stopping them. Bellbrook was also playing without some key starters and a couple guys limited on snaps because of injury. The score didn’t represent how the game went because Bellbrook gave you the ball with short field position on two scores ( 1yd and 20yd). I’ll give you the D won the game for Eaton but this game couldn’t of easily been a blowout.

Week 8 is here, Eaton has definitely been the best in SWBL this year. Will be a team to watch come playoffs. a tough region for sure but i could see some exciting games coming for them.

Eaton 34 vs Carlisle16
Monroe 35 @ Waynesville 21
Bellbrook 45 vs Oakwood 6 running clock
Brookville 49 @ Madison 0 running clock
VV 28 vs Franklin 21 best game of week in SWBL I think this week

To be honest I don’t think they took Eaton serious when preparing. They played some second string kids on the first couple offensive series and they where out of sync. It took Bellbrook some time to get going but when they did Eaton had a hard time stopping them. Bellbrook was also playing without some key starters and a couple guys limited on snaps because of injury. The score didn’t represent how the game went because Bellbrook gave you the ball with short field position on two scores ( 1yd and 20yd). I’ll give you the D won the game for Eaton but this game couldn’t of easily been a blowout.
Yeah but these short yardage plays were a result of Eaton special teams and D. Eaton wasn't just handed the ball at these spots for no reason. I believe if Eaton could've scored one more right after half it could've been over then. But it's very true Bellbrook was missing some key pieces so Idk.

Eaton 35 vs Carlisle 7
Monroe 35 @ Waynesville 6
Bellbrook 35 vs Oakwood 14
Brookville 49 @ Madison 0
VV 28 vs Franklin 8

Eaton vs Carlisle-The Eagles by a couple of scores but I think it will be a closer than some think.
Monroe @ Waynesville-I think Monroe could win big but we'll have to see how the loss of Pitsch effects the team
Bellbrook vs Oakwood-The Eagles by a lot
Brookville @ Madison-Brookville can name the score
VV vs Franklin-I was not impressed with what I saw from Franklin last week. I think they will have a tough time putting points on the board.

Eaton vs. Carlisle
Monroe @ Waynesville
Bellbrook vs Oakwood
Brookville @ Madison
VV vs Franklin

Week 8 looks straight forward outside of the Valley View vs. Franklin game. I think this is another game that Valley View should win, and is capable of winning, but so far this season they've found ways to lose almost all of those types of games. Valley View also hasn't beaten Franklin the past 3 seasons. I would say at least two of those losses were pretty surprising at the time.

Here is a little food for thought... I saw on the GCL-Coed thread, that some think that league could dissolve, thinking that Badin and McNick could go in other directions, not sure about any of this??

If so....what about Alter, CJ, Fenwick and Carroll joining the SWBL? Size wise and location they fit.

CJ, Alter, Carroll, Fenwick, Bellbrook, Franklin, Monroe

Eaton, VV, Brookville, Oakwood, WV, Carlisle, MM

Here is a little food for thought... I saw on the GCL-Coed thread, that some think that league could dissolve, thinking that Badin and McNick could go in other directions, not sure about any of this??

If so....what about Alter, CJ, Fenwick and Carroll joining the SWBL? Size wise and location they fit.

My kneejerk reaction is that geographically that could work. On years when the private schools have their better teams, I don't know how much fun it would be to play them. All sports wise, that could be the biggest issue. Those schools are competitive across the board as a whole.

My first thought is eliminate mandatory crossover games for all sports. Let individual schools decide if they want to schedule any crossover games. This would avoid the huge blowouts in all sports.

I know Oakwood plays these schools in most sports outside of football and basketball and are competitive. We do/have played each of these schools in basketball here and there and we win some but lose more, but do compete. I know we couldn't compete with them on a regular basis in football, hard enough for us as is in the league, but playing one of the weaker teams once a year would be fun.

Agree that mandatory crossover games are not a good idea.

Massie needs to be looking for a league after yet another league foe expressing their hatred toward them. The SWBL has long been a choice of every community member that I have talked to. Travel is pretty good too. If there were ever expansion talks I would hope that we would be at the top of most SWBL schools lists.

Massie needs to be looking for a league after yet another league foe expressing their hatred toward them. The SWBL has long been a choice of every community member that I have talked to. Travel is pretty good too. If there were ever expansion talks I would hope that we would be at the top of most SWBL schools lists.
Massie would make a lot of sense for the SWBL. Does Wilmington come with Massie?

The SWBL is fine as is. I don’t think it’s changing anytime soon.
Going into this year I would’ve said yes it has to change, but really other than Madison and Carlisle I believe the league works fine. I believe those two schools will move on sooner or later but maybe they are happy where they are.

Going into this year I would’ve said yes it has to change, but really other than Madison and Carlisle I believe the league works fine. I believe those two schools will move on sooner or later but maybe they are happy where they are.
In regards to football, you can't lump Carlisle in with Madison. Outside of Madison, every team in the SWBL has at least 3 wins heading into Week 7. Every team outside of Madison has an opportunity to make the playoffs still. To be honest, Carlisle still plays Madison and Waynesville. There's a decent chance they get to 5 wins. As it stands currently in 2021, I think the SWBL is as competitive as I can remember. I will admit, one caveat to my case, Carlisle and Waynesville currently have seen their success come mostly in OOC games. But when it's all said and done, every SWBL school should have at least 4 wins outside of Madison who likely goes 0-10.

Ok, adding a school like Massie is very attractive to the SWBL. MORE STATE TITLES!
Alter, CJ, Carroll, Fenwick are great additions but I can't see the Cincy schools being ok with that. Alter is highly attractive and Fenwick makes sense. Carroll and CJ... Not so much.
Add Clinton Massie first. Period. That program is really fine tuned.
Alter might want to research joining the GWOC first. I think they are out of the league of most SWBL schools. Fenwick is very much a SWBL school.
CJ and Carroll aren't real fits into the SWBL from a culture standpoint. They are a fit into the GWOC though, like Alter. Alter would own the SWBL in most years.

Ok, adding a school like Massie is very attractive to the SWBL. MORE STATE TITLES!
Alter, CJ, Carroll, Fenwick are great additions but I can't see the Cincy schools being ok with that. Alter is highly attractive and Fenwick makes sense. Carroll and CJ... Not so much.
Add Clinton Massie first. Period. That program is really fine tuned.
Alter might want to research joining the GWOC first. I think they are out of the league of most SWBL schools. Fenwick is very much a SWBL school.
CJ and Carroll aren't real fits into the SWBL from a culture standpoint. They are a fit into the GWOC though, like Alter. Alter would own the SWBL in most years.
I don’t see the GWOC adding anyone, but I could see these teams joining the SWOC and really think Franklin and Monroe would find that tempting also. To me none of these GCL coed teams make sense in the SWBL. If Monroe and Franklin would leave to the SWOC the SWBL could fill easy with CM and Wilmington

In regards to football, you can't lump Carlisle in with Madison. Outside of Madison, every team in the SWBL has at least 3 wins heading into Week 7. Every team outside of Madison has an opportunity to make the playoffs still. To be honest, Carlisle still plays Madison and Waynesville. There's a decent chance they get to 5 wins. As it stands currently in 2021, I think the SWBL is as competitive as I can remember. I will admit, one caveat to my case, Carlisle and Waynesville currently have seen their success come mostly in OOC games. But when it's all said and done, every SWBL school should have at least 4 wins outside of Madison who likely goes 0-10.
I don’t know if they’re as competitive but they are as evenly matched from middle to top as I’ve seen them.

Last edited:
Definitely not a package deal with Wilmington. Just makes a lot of sense to send two to the party but by no means are either tied that closely to one another. Gotta do what is best for your school.

I bet by the end of the year there will be some schools that do not like the alignment currently. They will realize it will be tough to win their side in any sport even in a good year. I think it sounded ok early on when Waynesville was winning and some others were at least competitive. Now you see the reality. Bottom line is that the SWBL will need to expand and reach out to some schools to get the proper alignment that it needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.