Mentor Cardinals Football 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brenan Vernon DE for class of 2023 committed to Notre Dame today . Hes rated 5 stars and top 10-20 in the country on most lists

Congrats !

Congrats to Vernon. He is the most highly recruited player in Mentor football history I would say. Of course the Ohio State fan in me was absolutely shocked at his decision.

For the ninth straight season, I am researching and writing some opponent previews ahead of the season. The first one on the list is a fresh opponent, McKinley. Looking forward to fuller stands, no masks, and plenty of excitement at HS football games. Can't wait for that first one in Canton, one of the best places to watch a game

For the ninth straight season, I am researching and writing some opponent previews ahead of the season. The first one on the list is a fresh opponent, McKinley. Looking forward to fuller stands, no masks, and plenty of excitement at HS football games. Can't wait for that first one in Canton, one of the best places to watch a game

Let's hope on no masks. Never know if the next boogeyman in the media will scare these people into going back in a shell

The one that makes it less exciting is the OHSAA stupidly letting 16 teams in each region make the playoffs. Especially in Division 1

Region 1 has 17 teams and all but one will make the playoffs. There will be 0 to 2 win teams in the playoffs. And it kills any fear of a tough schedule for a team like Mentor Eds or Ignatius

The regular season is a glorified exhibition for Division 1 now

Maybe this will allow teams to grow a pair so we don't have to play team Canada or PA teams anymore though. That would be the only positive

Let me first say that I love when you do these. I really enjoy reading them. They are very informative and thorough and give plenty of insight into the other teams. Great job and thanks for doing them. I do have 1 question. At the end of your McKinley write up it says next up: St. Edward. Shouldn't that be St. Ignatius week 2 and St. Ed's week 3?

I hear you guys are taking to the transfer portal rather happily now.
Do tell. I've never heard anything on this. But unlike with lake catholic fan who liked your post and obsesses, kids need to live in Mentor to play at Mentor. Can't just get kids at QB who go to 3 schools in 4 years without moving.

I don't live in Mentor and don't keep tabs on junior high kids or kids moving around districts shortly after. Youd have to fill me in with names and where they came from. Unless you are just trolling

I do know zero schools have the same boys enrollment in any 4 year period . People move in and out all the time

Last edited:
Crickets ...

To me rather happily means tons of transfers. Let's hear them. Unless you made it up

Several basketball players (at least 3) from the TNBA program have transferred to Mentor for this school year. I think one is also a WR. Same AAU program that Waag and Key played for, I believe. Haven’t heard of any football specific transfers, though.

Several basketball players (at least 3) from the TNBA program have transferred to Mentor for this school year. I think one is also a WR. Same AAU program that Waag and Key played for, I believe. Haven’t heard of any football specific transfers, though.
Well this is a football thread so that is irrelevant

Basketball long ago became corrupted by AAU. That and the privates who recruit in every sport makes me care less if Mentor does the same thing AAU public's and privates do in basketball

And who are these new players for this year in bball ? And where did they transfer from ?

Last edited:
Next opponent preview is St Ignatius. After playing every year (and sometimes twice) since 2005, it was strange not to play them in 2020. Glad to have them back on the schedule for 2021. IMO, this series has had a big impact on Mentor's success over the years. This will be the first time it is Kyle vs Gray

I have to admit I am really struggling to decide which week 2 game to go see. Avon vs. Medina or Ignatius vs. Mentor. I really wish 1 of those were week 1, and the other was week 2 so I could see both. We don't start school till Sept. 1, so I will be off and can leave whenever for either and get a nice meal before the game. I (eventually) just have to decide which one to go to. I have to use the method that works best for me. I don't try and pick what will be the best game, I pick which game do I have the most interest in. That way I'm ok with my decision if it's not the better game. But right now I don't know enough about Avon because they lost so much. And I know Medina will be loaded. Also I don't really know how good Ignatius will be. I feel that Mentor will be solid especially after Snow showed that he could be the real deal based on him having to replace Kipp in the playoff game vs. PC and performing well. I guess it's a good problem to have.

People who know more than me, feel free to fill in some blanks.

QB - Jacob Snow
RB - Brandon Panhorst
WR - Evan Harper
WR - Michael Norwood ??
WR - ??
WR - ??
OL - Danny Call
OL - Ethan Bostelman
OL - ??
OL - ??
OL - ??

DE - Brenan Vernon
DT - Benny LoDuca
DE - Matt Savor ??
LB - Aiden Fellows
LB - ??
LB - ??
LB - ??
CB - Mike Harrison
CB - ??
FS - ??
SS - Aiden George

Anybody have some updates on who we might expect to see challenging for these starting spots?

I have to admit I am really struggling to decide which week 2 game to go see. Avon vs. Medina or Ignatius vs. Mentor. I really wish 1 of those were week 1, and the other was week 2 so I could see both. We don't start school till Sept. 1, so I will be off and can leave whenever for either and get a nice meal before the game. I (eventually) just have to decide which one to go to. I have to use the method that works best for me. I don't try and pick what will be the best game, I pick which game do I have the most interest in. That way I'm ok with my decision if it's not the better game. But right now I don't know enough about Avon because they lost so much. And I know Medina will be loaded. Also I don't really know how good Ignatius will be. I feel that Mentor will be solid especially after Snow showed that he could be the real deal based on him having to replace Kipp in the playoff game vs. PC and performing well. I guess it's a good problem to have.
Avon will be fine. They reload every year and this year is no exception. This will be a very talented Avon team with state championship potential. If both teams go into the game healthy, I favor Avon to win. They faced the QB from Brecksville last year in the playoffs who is now at Iowa, so facing a Big 10 QB commit is nothing new to the Avon kids, nor is playing in big games. Obviously Medina is a very good team too, so I expect a close game.

Can’t go wrong with Mentor vs St Ignatius either, of course. Great programs.

The clincher to me would be that Avon and Medina have never faced each other before and the Bees QB is a senior, so no chance to see him next year when Medina comes to Avon.

Previewing the next opponent...good ol' St Eds. The game at Lakewood is going to be the most difficult on the schedule IMO. Medina is a close second.

Next opponent is North Allegheny (PA). Mentor will take a regular season trip to Pennsylvania for the first time since 2012 when Mitch Trubisky and company went head to head with future Pittsburgh Steeler James Connor and a talented Erie McDowell team. This is the furthest Mentor has traveled for a game since the 2015 (ugly) loss at St Xavier.

What year is the QB? I'm pretty sure he only started the one playoff game because of Covid? What is his measurables? I know it was just one game but the kid looked really good IMO.

What year is the QB? I'm pretty sure he only started the one playoff game because of Covid? What is his measurables? I know it was just one game but the kid looked really good IMO.

He’s around 6’2, 200 and is a junior. Jacob Snow is an incredibly important piece that will determine Mentor’s success this year. Was the string game against PC just scratching the surface? If so, Mentor’s ceiling is (at least) winning the region. If he is not able to meet/exceed the expectations he brought upon himself with his huge showing - Mentor will not be able to be a threat to the best of Region 1.

Mentor and QB are synonymous to me.
It feels that way. At some point, it has to come to an end as all good things often do. The retirement of longtime QB coach is a possible first ripple. Triv moving on may or may not eventually have a big impact on the position. Mentor has had very good to great QB play nearly every season for 20 years. A couple exceptions is all.

The identity of the program has never been defensive excellence. They need a great QB to succeed. Not every stellar program in Ohio needs that, but Mentor does.

Ignatius was once a QB driven offense. So many All Ohio kids but it seems like Mentor has been that school for so many years.

Anybody have some updates on who we might expect to see challenging for these starting spots?
Jr Mitchell Waite will share time in the backfield with Brendan Panhorst. Panhorst will start the season as the #1 RB with Waite providing a taller alternative. Evan Harper will be the #1 WR, but occasionally will line up at RB and also run the ball on end arounds.
Sr Ethan Bostelman moves from RT to LT.
Sr Danny Call moves from LG to Center.
Sr Brandon Ryan starts at RT.
Sr Blake Rice starts at RG.
Jr Michael McClure early advantage at LG, not set in stone.
WR - Sr Evan Harper
WR - Sr Michael Norwood (slot)
WR - Sr Sam Kish
WR - Sr Rocco Bortnick
#5 WR - Jr Jordan Stapleton

One of the big changes on defense is Sr Chris Finuchan starting at safety (backup last year) and becoming team captain.

Very senior laiden team for the Cardinals this season.
There were stretches under Triv where plenty of sophomores and juniors were starting. But over the last few years, I feel like there have been a lot of first year starting seniors. A program with depth in numbers should have a lot of that going on. St Ignatius has been doing that for a long time.

True.

Ignatius' depth has really diminished in recent years, but that's the program's fault as it controls its own destiny.

Lately I just expect Mentor to beat Ignatius. The Cardinals have made a mockery of some Ignatius defenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.