Canfield v Ursuline

NeoFootballFan75

Anyone know what’s going on here? Ursuline has game scheduled on their website but Canfield’s coach said there is no truth to that at all. Feel like that would be a great game. Thoughts?

I remember a time coaching hoops couple years ago at Mooney. due to scrimmage Canfield freshman team arguably that year both two best freshman teams in area. the two coaches agreed to scrimmage. they got bus i paid refs out of pocket. bus pulls around and someone of power stopped coach and said you get on bus wont have job tomorrow. buddy who lived in Canfield didnt believe me. was at booster meeting couple weeks later and asked if it was true and told it was unwritten rule there they wont play the parochials in football and basketball non revenue sports sure

I remember a time coaching hoops couple years ago at Mooney. due to scrimmage Canfield freshman team arguably that year both two best freshman teams in area. the two coaches agreed to scrimmage. they got bus i paid refs out of pocket. bus pulls around and someone of power stopped coach and said you get on bus wont have job tomorrow. buddy who lived in Canfield didnt believe me. was at booster meeting couple weeks later and asked if it was true and told it was unwritten rule there they wont play the parochials in football and basketball non revenue sports sure
I believe that was at the wishes of the previous superintendent. Didn’t want to lose to Mooney/Ursuline then lose kids to said school because of better athletics. I know that Canfield is supposed to play both Mooney & Ursuline in hoops next year, maybe times are changing with new superintendent.

I am not sure why they had it listed on their schedule if it was not officially on the books. Regardless, I would rather see Chardon or Louisville anyways in week 3 as I said before. One thing I find humorous is that Cardinal Mooney and Ursuline both ducked Canfield in the minor sports back in the day when we had far superior teams and they would have got massacred. Minor sports is anything but Football and boys basketball in my book. Conversely, we didn't want anything to do with Mooney or Ursuline back when they were both competing for state titles almost every year, so it goes both ways. At the end of the day, no one wants to play a really one-sided contest in any sport, but they are probably more willing to in some of the minor sports just for logistics (play the local teams to minimize travel).

I know this is in the football forum but on an unrelated note the boys ice hockey team is looking really good this year, I think they have a good chance at the state title for probably only the 2nd time ever, the other time a kid from Canada was ruled ineligible and Canfield had to forfeit a win against Roosevelt in the playoffs.

FWIW concerning ice hockey at Canfield, believe they had a kid that played for an outside-the-school team while the scholastic season was still underway. When the school became aware of it, after consultation with Columbus, Canfield then forfeited the play-off game they had won in order to be in compliance with OHSAA eligibility rules and for the play-offs to continue without delay.
And this year’s Canfield hockey team is, in fact, having a good year.