OHSAA coronavirus rules: Students can wrestle, but can't shake hands

I dont see the harm in having conversation about generally relevant topics about the sport as a whole? You do know there will be seasons in the future as well, right? You also know matches have already been wrestled this season, right?

Its difficult to get ahead in life when you have a pessimistic attitude, and interject with negativity. :p

Not for everyone. Some haven't started and could end not wrestling at all.

I 100% think that shaking hands with the opposing coach should be done away with though. The athlete doesn't wrestle the coach. There are some coaches that already have a policy of not sending their wrestlers to the other corner because of bad past experiences.

I 100% think that shaking hands with the opposing coach should be done away with though. The athlete doesn't wrestle the coach. There are some coaches that already have a policy of not sending their wrestlers to the other corner because of bad past experiences.
I disagree with you. Respect. Seems to be missing in these trying times.

I dont see the harm in having conversation about generally relevant topics about the sport as a whole? You do know there will be seasons in the future as well, right? You also know matches have already been wrestled this season, right?

Its difficult to get ahead in life when you have a pessimistic attitude, and interject with negativity. :p

A lot of schools in my area still haven't had any matches. We are still praying daily for a season!

A lot of schools in my area still haven't had any matches. We are still praying daily for a season!

Yeah, definitely. I did not mean to make it seem as though I was under the impression everyone has had the chance to get matches. Just saying across the state matches have happened.
We've had some schools lucky enough to have duals already in our area - my team has yet to have a match. Staying hopeful, enjoying training together. Its a tough situation.

Right - my point was just that some have gotten their (what will hopefully be a full) season under way. Other will (hopefully) start wrestling in the near-ish future. As I said in the post above our team is one still waiting to compete, so I understand the frustrations of many. Gotta try and stay optimistic!

Interesting though - I dont see it much at all, at least not as a team mandate. When I was still competing I know a school that would shake before. Seemed kind of awkward - as the kids would usually just walk up and hold their hand out, lol. Now I understand the point - but if I were to consider going that far with my team Id probably just scrap it all together lol.

Right - my point was just that some have gotten their (what will hopefully be a full) season under way. Other will (hopefully) start wrestling in the near-ish future. As I said in the post above our team is one still waiting to compete, so I understand the frustrations of many. Gotta try and stay optimistic!

Interesting though - I dont see it much at all, at least not as a team mandate. When I was still competing I know a school that would shake before. Seemed kind of awkward - as the kids would usually just walk up and hold their hand out, lol. Now I understand the point - but if I were to consider going that far with my team Id probably just scrap it all together lol.

The funny thing about the handshake is that all of these people say "Respect!" Well, I know of instances where to the crowd it looks like the wrestler is showing "respect" to the coach, but the words that come out of the wrestler's mouth are hugely inappropriate and disrespectful. So everyone in the gym thinks that wrestler was being respectful because he shook the coaches hand - laughable.

The funny thing about the handshake is that all of these people say "Respect!" Well, I know of instances where to the crowd it looks like the wrestler is showing "respect" to the coach, but the words that come out of the wrestler's mouth are hugely inappropriate and disrespectful. So everyone in the gym thinks that wrestler was being respectful because he shook the coaches hand - laughable.

Yeah, this is kind of my point - but youve presented another angle I actually hadn't considered even though I've been in that situation myself lol.

I really do understand the idea behind it - I just think we're kind of past it and we should have a bit more freedom in the sport to choose these things for our teams without being misjudged. At the same time, not exactly anyone else's business what your team policies are I suppose.

Nobody ever gets cursed at, tripped, or gut punched in the hockey handshake line post game.

For a similar situation - I feel like you rarely have these issues with the post match team hand shake in duals to be fair. I would say it has something to do with the fact that most of the kids get a bit of time to cool off before they have to go partake in the formality. Idk. I've had it a few times where we've told the last kid who wrestled to skip the team handshake because they're still fired up form their match.

My question there is, why do the kids need to go shake coaches hand after their individual match, then again after the dual? Double respect? lol.

I thought the same thing for football. Now in football if the players dressed and didn't play, then yeah it made sense. However if you're tackling each other during the game, what difference did it make. Same with wrestling.
I've saw in Indiana where some schools shook hands but didn't clean the mat. I've saw others in Indiana follow Ohio and not shaking hands, but they cleaned the mat with an alcohol substance after each match. Then I've saw Ohio not shake hands and not clean the mat. Just wish there was some consistency in all of this nonsense.

Maybe teams can just take turns blowing kisses and catching them from across the mat. DeWine probably wouldn’t like the blowing though, so just pretend to. It would be dangerous to forcefully expel air from your lungs from 20 feet away after a wrestling match.