WCAL 2020

I look forward to watching both games this weekend. As was mentioned above, Dalton is certainly not big, but they are very tough, fast and aggressive with 3 good rb’s, a decently mobile qb and several good receivers. They need to figure out how to get Malone (#5) more involved on offense as he is their most dynamic player. They are also playing their best ball right now after a bleh season. Friday should be a good one.

Norwayne - wickliffe looks like a fun one as well with similar size and styles. I’ll definitely be watching the stream Saturday night (at least till the Buckeyes start, lol)
I wonder how badly hurt the Cunningham kid is hurt for Norwayne. That would be a setback if he does not play, or even if he not at full strength.

It will be good to see Norwayne play a physical team like Wickliffe. Dalton was tough, but they weren't big, and they wore down by the second half. I honestly thought CCC would play with the Cats for 4 quarters, but they were pretty much done by the 2nd half. Norwayne has put a lot of pressure on teams QB's in both of their playoff games. The return of Stoudmire in the middle of the defense really makes a difference, if you want to run the middle with him there, you have to commit 2 blockers. Should be a good game.
Saw Norwayne in person and Canton Central Catholic. I knew Norwayne would wear them down. They have a very good well coached team. Not one of Coach Lindesmith’s better teams. Central lost most of their size & skill to graduation. Perry was up 28-0 early in the third when Wakefield called off the dogs way back in the first Friday in Sept.

Heard that Wickliffe is looking for a neutral venue, as their field is not in the best of shape.
That's impressive. When they got the #2 seed I thought it was going to be a big advantage to them to have Norwayne playing on grass. Obviously all of Norwayne's road WCAL games are on grass, but might have been somewhat of an advantage for Wickliffe. Considering the rains that are forecast to come it might have been one heckuva mess

That's impressive. When they got the #2 seed I thought it was going to be a big advantage to them to have Norwayne playing on grass. Obviously all of Norwayne's road WCAL games are on grass, but might have been somewhat of an advantage for Wickliffe. Considering the rains that are forecast to come it might have been one heckuva mess
I think Norway he has the size to go head to head with just about anyone in the region. 2 starting running backs go about 220-225, they have 2 big wide receiver s that can also play tight end. Their jumbo package puts their big defensive tackle in the backfield. Don't know that the field will slow them down.

I think Norway he has the size to go head to head with just about anyone in the region. 2 starting running backs go about 220-225, they have 2 big wide receiver s that can also play tight end. Their jumbo package puts their big defensive tackle in the backfield. Don't know that the field will slow them down.
Agreed. They have D4 size all over the place. That’s Wickliffes strength too. If the game goes to turf then Bobcats might be able to better attack in the passing game too.

If they played Hillsdale on the road the game was at Ashland Community Stadium, turf field, all Hillsdale's home games were there this year, so the TG said...FYI...

If they played Hillsdale on the road the game was at Ashland Community Stadium, turf field, all Hillsdale's home games were there this year, so the TG said...FYI...
Good catch, Coach. You're right. Other than trips to Rittman & Waynedale, the Bobcats did play 6 of 8 games on turf this year.

At this point, as was said earlier, probably won't matter. Going to get so much rain it really won't be a benefit to anyone to play on grass Friday night.

Agr
Good catch, Coach. You're right. Other than trips to Rittman & Waynedale, the Bobcats did play 6 of 8 games on turf this year.

At this point, as was said earlier, probably won't matter. Going to get so much rain it really won't be a benefit to anyone to play on grass Friday night.
Agree, don't think it will be a big deal, grass will be a mess anywhere Friday & Saturday, best of luck to the Bobcats:)

And than there was 1. Looks like Cats will have their hands full come Saturday night.
Should be a heckuva matchup. Springfield lost to Anna in title game last year and brought almost everyone back. That alone is impressive, but in shutting out Mogadore they out "toughed" a tough team. And their QB - imagine a bigger version of Bidlack who's a better runner. They don't have any WR like Malone on the edge, but they're really disciplined in being where they're supposed to be.

That said, Norwayne can play with them. They'll have to play cleaner than they did Saturday, but the Bobcats have the versatility to get it done.

Should be a heckuva matchup. Springfield lost to Anna in title game last year and brought almost everyone back. That alone is impressive, but in shutting out Mogadore they out "toughed" a tough team. And their QB - imagine a bigger version of Bidlack who's a better runner. They don't have any WR like Malone on the edge, but they're really disciplined in being where they're supposed to be.

That said, Norwayne can play with them. They'll have to play cleaner than they did Saturday, but the Bobcats have the versatility to get it done.
I was at the game Saturday, Cats need to clean up penalties. They had a pick and a fumble, the fumble was a strip on one of our running backs, and the pick was a tipped ball. Penalties bothered me more than anything. Having said that, they did force 3 turnovers, and a few bad snaps that don't show in the turnover column, but were huge at different points in the game. Physically the Cats can play with Springfield, they have to be disciplined on defense, someone needs to spy the Springfield QB. On offense, they just need to do what they do without penalties and errors.

Physically the Cats can play with Springfield, they have to be disciplined on defense, someone needs to spy the Springfield QB.
Absolutely they can. Just have to be careful not to over simplify. NMS can bait teams into thinking "We can pound them" and they'll make a play here or there on D and then score a couple quick ones on O that now you're out of your game plan and it's "crap, what do we do now?" Norwayne is versatile enough they should be able to move & score.

On D it's kind of a pick your poison. They'll run bootlegs out of 5 wide that are not predetermined. The WR are running routes and if DBs come up he throws it, if DBs hang back, he runs it. Watch the offense a few times and you think "just need to hit the QB a few times" but the scheme really keeps defense on their heels (plus OC is his dad so his wife would kick his butt if he ran their boy up the gut too much). And the kid is not afraid of contact. When most would be angling to sideline he cuts into defenders and puts them on their heals. Reminds of a Triway offense when the Carmicheal boys were there except MUCH more willing to run the ball. Sorry if I sound like a fan boy. Would love to see Norwayne back at state, but this kid is a lot of fun to watch.

Should be a BLAST to watch these two teams go at it.

Absolutely they can. Just have to be careful not to over simplify. NMS can bait teams into thinking "We can pound them" and they'll make a play here or there on D and then score a couple quick ones on O that now you're out of your game plan and it's "crap, what do we do now?" Norwayne is versatile enough they should be able to move & score.

On D it's kind of a pick your poison. They'll run bootlegs out of 5 wide that are not predetermined. The WR are running routes and if DBs come up he throws it, if DBs hang back, he runs it. Watch the offense a few times and you think "just need to hit the QB a few times" but the scheme really keeps defense on their heels (plus OC is his dad so his wife would kick his butt if he ran their boy up the gut too much). And the kid is not afraid of contact. When most would be angling to sideline he cuts into defenders and puts them on their heals. Reminds of a Triway offense when the Carmicheal boys were there except MUCH more willing to run the ball. Sorry if I sound like a fan boy. Would love to see Norwayne back at state, but this kid is a lot of fun to watch.

Should be a BLAST to watch these two teams go at it.

Just wanted to congratulate the Dalton Bulldogs on a fine season. Coach Dial and his staff have instilled a winning attitude and toughness in the Bulldog program. A job well done men.

Small crowd tomorrow night, Springfield kept the game on their home field (Norwayne would have done the same.) Each participant gets 2 tickets.

Cats had no answer for the Springfield QB. Tough loss when you have 550 yards of offense. Norwaynes seniors really stepped it up, great games by Cunningham, Bitskay, Raddebaugh, Tanner and several others. When you go through the playoffs, to get to the end, you have to have that one game you just find a way to win, Cats didn't do it, Springfield did, but what a great season. Cupboard isn't bare next year, but a lot of underclassman have to step up for Norwayne, Dalton should be the team next season.

Saw Norwayne in person and Canton Central Catholic. I knew Norwayne would wear them down. They have a very good well coached team. Not one of Coach Lindesmith’s better teams. Central lost most of their size & skill to graduation. Perry was up 28-0 early in the third when Wakefield called off the dogs way back in the first Friday in Sept.
Started a new 2021 wcal football Page