Rootstown Coach Resigns

No ones taking the blame in my above posts. Who did this. The HS principal or is it same crap we deal with in Washington,DC and state capitals. This is beyond the normal. Heads should roll on people running this district and Many others. WOW.

If they (administration) were so high on his morals and integrity, why question his decision? Someone was doing a lot of BS'ing to save face, and it clearly wasn't Coach Spiker. Imagine how the head coaches in other sports at Rootstown feel? If I were their basketball, soccer, baseball coach I would always feel like I have a target on my back.

Would love to get more information on the entire situation. To quit in the middle of the season is a bad look for all involved and doesn't serve the program well or the coaching future of the coach stepping down.

Would love to get more information on the entire situation. To quit in the middle of the season is a bad look for all involved and doesn't serve the program well or the coaching future of the coach stepping down.
It’s pretty obvious what happened by the article.

Some player made some very bad remark with respect to another players race or sexual orientation and probably got benched for it.

Originally the board stood behind the coach until the parents complained and/or threatened to sue. The board caved and the coach resigned.

In my opinion the coach is the only one here that comes out looking and smelling like roses. The board, the school, the kid, and the parents all come out smelling like manure.

Some player made some very bad remark with respect to another players race or sexual orientation and probably got benched for it.

Originally the board stood behind the coach until the parents complained and/or threatened to sue. The board caved and the coach resigned.

In my opinion the coach is the only one here that comes out looking and smelling like roses. The board, the school, the kid, and the parents all come out smelling like manure.
Yeah kudos to the coach. We need more coaches and People in general that teach morals. If the board and administrators can’t agree or back what the coach is doing in that regard, I’d be gone too.

Except that you don't know if any of that is true.

It will all depend on what he can explain in his interview and what the school hears from the Rootstown admin about the situation.

Here's the difference in programs.
Rootstown 4 coaches in 3 years.
Mogadore 4 coaches in 60 years.
Thinking Rootstown lost a good " home grown" individual to lead their program which is what Mogadore has had. An alumnus of Rootstown and seemed vested in his community and school. Too bad for him, the boys and the district.

If Spiker does indeed truly feel wronged, this is what he should do (but of course, I do not know the situation)...
Spiker should write up a letter and send it to every parent, coach, news, and any other person that would side with him.
More voices against the wrong-doers can create a rift in the admin and possibly make changes.
Make them sweat it out.

Without Knowing the complete story its hard to comment but I will anyways. People want to know why MAC schools succeed it is because for the most part parents bite their tongue and let disciplinary issues rest with the coach.
A couple years ago I was talking to a WBL basketball coach who scrimmaged a MAC school in the preseason. He was talking to the MAC coach if he had any opportunities to leave in the past for other jobs and the MAC coach said yes but he would be out of his mind to leave the current school he is at. The MAC coach, who has been there multiple years, said he has NEVER had a parent call him or come to his office because of issues with their son and playing time, how he coaches, etc. Really made me think how lucky that league is with their overall sports culture when you hear situations like this happening elsewhere in Ohio.

A couple years ago I was talking to a WBL basketball coach who scrimmaged a MAC school in the preseason. He was talking to the MAC coach if he had any opportunities to leave in the past for other jobs and the MAC coach said yes but he would be out of his mind to leave the current school he is at. The MAC coach, who has been there multiple years, said he has NEVER had a parent call him or come to his office because of issues with their son and playing time, how he coaches, etc. Really made me think how lucky that league is with their overall sports culture when you hear situations like this happening elsewhere in Ohio.
This MAC school must not have been Parkway!

Did you read the article and/or the coaches long paragraph explanation of his expectations with regards to equality? Why would he make sure to mention that specifically if it had NOTHING to do with the discipline?

Come on, I am not speculating on who/what was said other than the things that follow logically from the article.

This doesn't look good for the Rootstown board or the given parent that complained.

This is 100% on the admin, board, along with wrestling coach and a few others, not wanting a star wrestler to be part of this although he is. Too bad the school caved to a few, it’s the main reason why they’ll always be in the shadows of pretty much every successful sports program within their county and neighboring counties. Classic case of wannabe’s, they wannabe good, but it takes years of work. They as a community should be ashamed of their school admin; board and many members who are forcing the issue...

Things haven’t changed since the early 2000s. Always a good OL’ boys club at Rootstown and the “stars of yesteryear” running the show. Spiker was one of the best to come through Rootstown in a long time. It’s sad they did this to him. I have no doubt he’ll be successful.

As long as people continue to vote some of these School Board members in , these and other problems, will continue. Stop voting across this Nation for the popular guy. That’s a Huge problem. Wake up people !

I totally agree there's not enough information here to make any determination on who is right or wrong.
It's a shame that in these times people are way too eager to take a side on an issue without knowing the details. That's dangerous.

No clue about Rootstown, the article states it wasn't a Board Decision and the Superintendent is supportive?? If that's the case who has veto power over that group??