Top 5 Stark county teams of the playoff era?

I’ll start off with my top 5.
5. 1998 Canton McKinley
4. 1984 St. Thomas Aquinas
3. 1981 Canton McKinley
2. 2000 Canton Central Catholic
1. 1997 Canton McKinley
Feel free to rank however you want . Winning a championship weighed heavily into my rankings. However, there are always those teams that were great but just didn’t bring home a championship for a variety of reasons.

Sorry I just didn’t see how you can list CCHS and St Thomas teams that would get their doors blown off by like 30 different Mck and Massillon teams over the era

Sorry I just didn’t see how you can list CCHS and St Thomas teams that would get their doors blown off by like 30 different Mck and Massillon teams over the era
Respectively for their divisions they were fantastic teams they won a state championship, something only 7 stark county teams can claim to have accomplished in the playoff era. Yes had they played Moeller or Ignatius they would have been destroyed but there are divisions for a reason. No offense but Massillon fans should be able to rationalize that winning a state title in any division is extremely difficult. Even with very talented teams the tigers have not been able to win one in either divisions 1 or 2. So in my opinion you gotta give championship teams credit where credit is do.

I’ll start off with my top 5.
5. 1998 Canton McKinley
4. 1984 St. Thomas Aquinas
3. 1981 Canton McKinley
2. 2000 Canton Central Catholic
1. 1997 Canton McKinley
Feel free to rank however you want . Winning a championship weighed heavily into my rankings. However, there are always those teams that were great but just didn’t bring home a championship for a variety of reasons.
Not a bad list, but since you didn't actually list your criteria, are you saying that the 2000 CCC team would beat the 81 mckinley team? Are you saying the 84 Knights would have beaten the 98 Bulldogs?

Respectively for their divisions they were fantastic teams they won a state championship, something only 7 stark county teams can claim to have accomplished in the playoff era. Yes had they played Moeller or Ignatius they would have been destroyed but there are divisions for a reason. No offense but Massillon fans should be able to rationalize that winning a state title in any division is extremely difficult. Even with very talented teams the tigers have not been able to win one in either divisions 1 or 2. So in my opinion you gotta give championship teams credit where credit is do.
Based on your criteria and going by division then yes. But if it was just the top 5 overall then that changes it.

Not a bad list, but since you didn't actually list your criteria, are you saying that the 2000 CCC team would beat the 81 mckinley team? Are you saying the 84 Knights would have beaten the 98 Bulldogs?
Feel free to rank however you like. Really my own opinion isn’t that important. I was trying to take divisions into consideration as well what that team accomplished within their own division. You can make a list using whatever criteria you like. I’m just curious what people’s thoughts are on this.

Top Stark County teams of the playoff era. No other parameters to guide this list per the topic that is titled...
Only Five...
McKinley 1997
McKinley 1981
Massillon 1982
McKinley 1974
Massillon 2005

the next five in order
McKinley 1998
Massillon 2018
Massillon 2019
Massillon 1972
McKinley 1985

Had the topic said except for large enrollments of boys xxx and higher...

Pretty good Dave. I thought the our 83 team was a hair better than 82. Just as you have your 74 team > 98. How far you get matters but overall certainly can't argue too much w/ the above. Fwiw and jmo but 91 was actually my "favorite" team.

I’m not sure how the 98 team could be better than the 97 team, let alone the 81 team.
There is no point in putting any team other than a McK or Mass team here. Maybe a top ten could sneak another team in.

1. 81 McK
2. 97 McK
3. 98 McK
4. 19 Mass
5. 82 Mass

Top Stark County teams of the playoff era. No other parameters to guide this list per the topic that is titled...
Only Five...
McKinley 1997
McKinley 1981
Massillon 1982
McKinley 1974
Massillon 2005

the next five in order
McKinley 1998
Massillon 2018
Massillon 2019
Massillon 1972
McKinley 1985

Had the topic said except for large enrollments of boys xxx and higher...
Thanks, you are welcome to consider teams however you like. 1998 McKinley behind Massillon 2005 though? Just out of curiosity why do you think that team is superior?

I’m not sure how the 98 team could be better than the 97 team, let alone the 81 team.
There is no point in putting any team other than a McK or Mass team here. Maybe a top ten could sneak another team in.

1. 81 McK
2. 97 McK
3. 98 McK
4. 19 Mass
5. 82 Mass
I think that’s a pretty good list if you are considering head to head matchups of the teams. The Massillon teams you listed more than likely would have handled the CCC teams and STA teams I listed previously.

Thanks, you are welcome to consider teams however you like. 1998 McKinley behind Massillon 2005 though? Just out of curiosity why do you think that team is superior?
It’s a toss up - both those teams match up well. They way Massillon stuck it to McKinley in the playoffs in 05 makes them better in my opinion and more so because McKinley thrashed them week 10.
05 Massillon split with McKinley
98 McKinley split with Ignatius

Pretty good Dave. I thought the our 83 team was a hair better than 82. Just as you have your 74 team > 98. How far you get matters but overall certainly can't argue too much w/ the above. Fwiw and jmo but 91 was actually my "favorite" team.
1983-
To think how difficult it was to get to the playoffs then. Had 8 teams made it that year....

If any team from Central deserves to be on a list as the greatest it’s the1988 team. Won state title and beat McKinley that year. Would also throw in the 1989 Tigers, had 3 losses but those were to Iggy which won the D-1 title, Moeller which lost to Iggy in the title game and St Joes which won the D-2 state title.
So mine in no particular order...

1981 Mckinley
1982 Massillon
1997 Mckinley
1988 Central
1989 Massillon
2019 Massillon
1998 Mckinley

All these teams were very good.

#1) I think Massillon's 82 and 83 teams were a toss up.

#2) McKinley's 98 team was very very good but not great, I think they just hit on all cylinders at the perfect time.

#3) I would try to. Make room for Massillon's 91 team.

#4) I think Massillon's 18 team was a little better than 19, simply because of some of the guys on D. Dean Clark and Kyshad Mack....and I loved the ForD kid in the slot.

It’s a toss up - both those teams match up well. They way Massillon stuck it to McKinley in the playoffs in 05 makes them better in my opinion and more so because McKinley thrashed them week 10.
05 Massillon split with McKinley
98 McKinley split with Ignatius
True but the fact that they got trashed by Mck in the first place makes me go with the 98 team. The 98 team had Mike Doss which means they could beat anybody. McKinley also has Steve Smith at C/MLB who was a beast, Antonio Hall OL/DL, Kevin Smith at TE and DE , Garret Bush at OL/ DL. Those guys were all D1 college players and very big and nasty dudes. That team was much more physical than either the 05 McKinley or Massillon team.

True but the fact that they got trashed by Mck in the first place makes me go with the 98 team. The 98 team had Mike Doss which means they could beat anybody. McKinley also has Steve Smith at C/MLB who was a beast, Antonio Hall OL/DL, Kevin Smith at TE and DE , Garret Bush at OL/ DL. Those guys were all D1 college players and very big and nasty dudes. That team was much more physical than either the 05 McKinley or Massillon team.
DaveDawg also picked the 74 McKinley team to be in his top 5....A 5-4 Massillon team beat that McKinley team....your thoughts on that?

Massillon's last two teams were every bit as good (if not better) as McKinley's '98 squad. As a whole, the Tigers were defiitely more powerful offensively. Mike Doss was an amazing playmaker though. Sheesh!