OHSAA Announces All State and Regional Tournaments are “Postponed Indefinitely”

I think in this unique situation, they would have to ask the Spring sport to make an exception for those players. I would guess it is close to 95% of Winter sports athletes have already finished their season and it would not affect them. It would be that very small group of players that are still playing at the regional or state level.

If they start playing HS sports again in April, they should be able to finish these games. The bigger obstacle might be those that move on to their AAU teams and forfeit their eligibility.
I think it's over Once you get to mid-April no kid is going to pick a high school game over playing at a Live Event in front of 100's of college coaches, i.e. UAA or EYBL. The top level kids already prefer AAU to high school.

With public schools closing for the next three weeks, I think it will be tough to have the tournament concluded.

I think it's over Once you get to mid-April no kid is going to pick a high school game over playing at a Live Event in front of 100's of college coaches, i.e. UAA or EYBL. The top level kids already prefer AAU to high school.
Agree. Kids are going to want to move on, but bet right now that option will be off the table as well.

Then those kids can decide to abandon their team and play AAU and let the kids who want to be a part of their town, school and program to play and finish out their season.

NCAA canceling their tournament. Slightly different because of scope and TV money involved but I'm trending towards the tournament being done.

Then those kids can decide to abandon their team and play AAU and let the kids who want to be a part of their town, school and program to play and finish out their season.
Suppose the coach only turned in 12 names for the tournament roster? Some teams probably have 6-8 kids that would move on. I think it's over. It could be played in a small gym somewhere but the large venues have contracted bookings from now to end of school year.

As a University of Dayton fan it is "what might have been?"

It won’t be played this year. In fact the next ohsaa sponsored game won’t take place until august, no way spring sports get played- best absolutely best case scenario is things start going back to normal in may.

Kingpin is correct. The basketball season is over and the rest of the spring sports will be next. At this rate we will be lucky to be at a football game in August. The only hope will be that this virus has a seasonal aspect.

Personally, I would rather they just play the games in empty gyms with no one in the crowd. I understand the limited crowd but there still seemed to be a decent number of people at the games.

Hopefully they will consider finishing these tournaments a few weeks late. Even the middle of April is fair because it only affect a small number of schools in the state.

I'm on board w this

I just don't understand how we went from Monday....with everything being fine and everyone living their normal lives......to the entire country going batshit crazy 2 days later and closing/cancelling everything
Unlike China and Italy, the USA and especially Governor DeWine are trying to stay ahead of the curve. I feel awful for the kids participating as well but it's better to be safe then sorry. Could be like the NCAA soon, where they have canceled the Spring sports seasons as well.

I just don't understand how we went from Monday....with everything being fine and everyone living their normal lives......to the entire country going batshit crazy 2 days later and closing/cancelling everything

We weren't really fine. I hear you. It's like 9.11 and any other major threat or death or loss. Most important is that the kids know this doesn't define them. Time will pass. This will pass if we are smart and not let our desires and egos mandate the day.

I love history. I find I mostly love the history I learned in High School because reading the real history I learn that during the most patriotic of wars, there were riots for personal reasons, crime, political maneuvering all the dirty that humans possess. We were not "united" in the fight. .... Same here I'm afraid.

We won that. We'll win this.

Talk to an infectious disease doctor or an epidemiologist and you’d understand.

I get that....they've known about this thing for quite a while....just seems strange that they go from nothing to close everything overnight. Did all those doctors just come to some big discovery all at the same time?

I get that....they've known about this thing for quite a while....just seems strange that they go from nothing to close everything overnight. Did all those doctors just come to some big discovery all at the same time?

The federal govt was unprepared to deal with the crisis. While the doctors and scientists were warning that this could happen, a certain person said it was a hoax and nothing to worry about and how people should go to work, even if they weren't feeling well. Don't blame the doctors for not being ready.

It seems like domino effect started, when the NBA player tested positive. At least as far as shutting down all the sports for now.

Frankly, it took some brave people like Jerry Snodfrass to make the first move and the waterfall ensued. I applaud Jerry wholeheartedly.

STVM is D2 and a heavy favorite to win their 9th State title. They are the only team to BEAT Cincinnati Moeller in the past two seasons. By the way the STVM Irish will be even stronger in 20-21.

STVM is D2 and a heavy favorite to win their 9th State title. They are the only team to BEAT Cincinnati Moeller in the past two seasons. By the way the STVM Irish will be even stronger in 20-21.
How can they be any stronger? They don't really lose anything do they? Still have the Branham young man correct along with Pryor and Harris? Unless you mean maybe more experienced?

I'm an aau coach and we are dealing with the possibility of tournaments being cancelled as well, or held with no spectators

The federal govt was unprepared to deal with the crisis. While the doctors and scientists were warning that this could happen, a certain person said it was a hoax and nothing to worry about and how people should go to work, even if they weren't feeling well. Don't blame the doctors for not being ready.

ready for what? doctors can't do anything but give you gatorade and tylenol if you have it. what do the numbers say IN THIS COUNTRY (this is not Italy regardless of what our governor sold us earlier this week, there are differences in average age, health, proximity, and culture) to date. 41 fatalities, average age of 80 and many with pre-existing conditions. Mortality rate under age 55 is essentially zero and mortality under 10 years of age is zero. the swine flu in 2009-2010 killed 13k in this country and 575k world wide. 60M people infected in this country and 300k hospitalized over a 16 month period from beginning to end, average weekly death rate of swine flu ~ 185. Covid 19 is at ~ 20 since the 1st infection. swine flu killed children, this has not so far. 99% of active covid 19 cases are classified as "mild". So if we're dealing in facts we shut down the country to keep healthy people under the age of 60 from spreading this thing to the elderly and the unhealthy. fauci just told the world our health system isn't ready to handle this, well he's been in the NIH for one hell of a long time, what has he been doing this whole time, he should have brought this up years ago? and by the way what doesn't the system have? it's not medicine we can't cure it right now. Test kits? all those will do is tell you your positive or negative. A response? The decisions made this week and hysterical reporting have CONTRIBUTED to the problem of overloading our health system, it's created fear and panic. there is absolutely an agrument here the response has been hysterical given the stats and certainly is hysterical compared with the country's swine flu response. There's also an agrument for a response that's focused on protecting the elderly and the sick, other than shutting down the country and the economic effects that will follow. I could care less about the NBA shutting it's season down, or hockey, other than the paralyzing effect this will have on a large portion of the people of this country who will never take the time to even look at objective data to help form their thoughts and behaviors. Rather a response of....the NBA shut down this is bad, I'm scared now, don't leave the house. This will likely have a devastating effect on the jobs market (I hope I'm wrong). Politics is all over this mess and it's too bad you decided to interject it here with what I percieve as an obvious bias and a lack of perspective.

Last edited: