D1 Cleveland Regional

I heard more than one, but I can't say for sure. Those guys are millionaires wrapped in bubblevwrap, so when they start being infected, it's only a matter of time when everything becomes crowdless or simply cancelled. This virus is nothing to mess with. The old, the very young and the sick are very vulnerable, and there isn't enough testing going on in the general population. If they do hold a State tourney this year, I can't see them letting crowds there, either.

WHERE CHAMPIONS ARE MADE AND SUCCESS IS TRADITION
Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson have now tested positive. The infection incubates for 2 weeks without showing symptoms. Once a person becomes ill, they need 2 weeks of ICU to recover. In Italy, the hospitals are running out of ICU places. That is why the gov't there put their entire country in lockdown, 60 million people. Their PM said it's a "hail Mary", because if it continues to spread, Italy's system will collapse. We must take every precaution possible to contain this contagion.

May God bless all of you and keep you all safe!

Last edited:
Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson have now tested positive. The infection incubates for 2 weeks without showing symptoms. Once a person becomes ill, they need 2 weeks of ICU to recover. In Italy, the hospitals are running out of ICU places. That is why the gov't there put their entire country in lockdown, 60 million people. Their PM said it's a "hail Mary", because if it continues to spread, Italy's system will collapse. We must take every precaution possible to contain this contagion.

There's 3 threads on the basketball board to talk about the virus. I get your team lost so you don't want to acknowledge the region anymore. But this thread is about the Cleveland regional. Move your virus talk to a thread about that

Please post any info on streaming for the game. Will Mentor or Shaker or someone else be doing so ? The Medina tv crew did a great job with the 2 regional semifinals. I hope they or someone else does this game

Nice post JJ. These kinds of things interrupt our fun time in the sports world. The games are not as important as people's health. We may be looking at no games at all by next week.

After tonight, the league will have:

Five teams in the district final
Three district champs
Two in the regional final
One regional champ

Currently, their record is 15-5 in the tournament. After tonight and Saturday's game, the record will be 17-7 with three of those seven losses coming from fellow GCC teams. Take the games from fellow GCC teams away, their tournament record is an impressive 14-4.
That's very impressive but wouldn't have happened if the OHSAA dumbarses would have put the whole league in the same district as they do to other leagues? So just saying other leagues don't have that same opportunity for league success.

That's very impressive but wouldn't have happened if the OHSAA dumbarses would have put the whole league in the same district as they do to other leagues? So just saying other leagues don't have that same opportunity for league success.
The districts go by location. The GCC is spread out which is why they are split up

By that same notion, Solon and Medina could have gone further had they not lost to fellow GCC teams. And now at most only one of shaker or mentor can make the final 4. So argument can go both ways

There is no doubt that being in four different NEO districts provides a lot more opportunity for it to happen. But the teams still have to go out and win the games. If Green got sent to Twinsburg, McKinley to Copley, and the rest stayed in Canton - would the Fed have had three district champions? One might argue that they might've had zero district champions if Shaker, Medina, and Boardman had anything to say about it.

The Fed is all lumped into one district. It doesn't matter how good they are, only one team is going to be a district champ. But we just saw how the 3rd place GCC team put a whopping on McKinley. Don't sell the GCC short. This league is good and deep. Has been for all five years of its existence. Too bad they drop down from 8 to 6 teams by 2021.

There is no doubt that being in four different NEO districts provides a lot more opportunity for it to happen. But the teams still have to go out and win the games. If Green got sent to Twinsburg, McKinley to Copley, and the rest stayed in Canton - would the Fed have had three district champions? One might argue that they might've had zero district champions if Shaker, Medina, and Boardman had anything to say about it.

The Fed is all lumped into one district. It doesn't matter how good they are, only one team is going to be a district champ. But we just saw how the 3rd place GCC team put a whopping on McKinley. Don't sell the GCC short. This league is good and deep. Has been for all five years of its existence. Too bad they drop down from 8 to 6 teams by 2021.
We'll never know? And they could have easilly split it up some! Not selling the GCC short just saying.

The districts go by location. The GCC is spread out which is why they are split up

Actually, it's because the SW District SEEDS all teams across several basketball Districts.
Euclid had 12 teams Seeded into 4 Sectionals which then fed the Euclid District

SW SEEDED 28 teams between 8 Sectionals that fed 2 basketball Districts (Cin-1 and Cin-2)
and another 29 SEEDED between 8 Sectionals that fed 2 basketball Districts (Cin-3 and Cin-4)

They have Elder in the same District as Springfield ( https://officials.myohsaa.org/Admin/Bracket/PublicBracket?TournamentId=1183 )

Red Dots...
Elder location ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elder_High_School )
Springfield location ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield,_Ohio )

:>---

SALT

Actually, it's because the SW District SEEDS all teams across several basketball Districts.
Euclid had 12 teams Seeded into 4 Sectionals which then fed the Euclid District

SW SEEDED 28 teams between 8 Sectionals that fed 2 basketball Districts (Cin-1 and Cin-2)
and another 29 SEEDED between 8 Sectionals that fed 2 basketball Districts (Cin-3 and Cin-4)

They have Elder in the same District as Springfield ( https://officials.myohsaa.org/Admin/Bracket/PublicBracket?TournamentId=1183 )

Red Dots...
Elder location ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elder_High_School )
Springfield location ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield,_Ohio )

SALT
What I said goes. Mentor and Medina are more than an hour apart. Of course they won't be in the same district.

Of course teams wont play on their home courts and other things arent completely perfect but the gcc being in different districts is because they span 4 counties

What I said goes. Mentor and Medina are more than an hour apart. Of course they won't be in the same district.

Of course teams wont play on their home courts and other things arent completely perfect but the gcc being in different districts is because they span 4 counties

I misread your post; I should have had some morning coffee to be fully awake....

I thought you stated GCL ~~~~ which is why I cited SWO data.

My ERROR~Best of luck going forward

How ironic my shoe size is 9 and so is my posting mouth ;)

SALT.

Nice post JJ. These kinds of things interrupt our fun time in the sports world. The games are not as important as people's health. We may be looking at no games at all by next week.
Prophetic as usual my friend. And seeing as there won't be a play-off winner, I vote Shaker as the champ. Gotta beat the best to be the best! Stay safe all!

Always, always keep the faith!

Beat them whenever we played them. It wasn't a loss.

2-0

You guys lost

That's the difference
Sorry, but you can't beat Shaker in the post season this year. They finally put it together. And I'll take our winningest program in Ohio with 3 State Championships in basketball over anything you guys have. Our girls won one, too , like you guys! So I decide! Stay classy and safe. Medina was robbed, anyway. It happens. Stay safe!

Sorry, but you can't beat Shaker in the post season this year. They finally put it together. And I'll take our winningest program in Ohio with 3 State Championships in basketball over anything you guys have. Our girls won one, too , like you guys! So I decide! Stay classy and safe. Medina was robbed, anyway. It happens. Stay safe!

Can't lose to them in the postseason either this year unlike you guys.

Good trolling though

Can't lose to them in the postseason either this year unlike you guys.

Good trolling though
I was at both games last night. Out of the 4 teams McKinley looked the most unprepared. Shaker jumped on them early and didn’t look back. They played harder and more like a team than McKinley. They were totally out played and out coached.

The second game was an instant classic. Two teams that know each other so well. One of the top coaches in Ohio v a very well respected coach. Both teams played hard. It was true heavy weight fight. Key players fouling out. Players fighting through cramps. Two over times. And the smallest player in the gym was by far the best play on any team last night. Chicone refused to lose. What a performance by Mentor. The regional championship game would have been a thriller. Unfortunately for both teams that earned the right to be in that game, it won’t happen.

I was at both games last night. Out of the 4 teams McKinley looked the most unprepared. Shaker jumped on them early and didn’t look back. They played harder and more like a team than McKinley. They were totally out played and out coached.

The second game was an instant classic. Two teams that know each other so well. One of the top coaches in Ohio v a very well respected coach. Both teams played hard. It was true heavy weight fight. Key players fouling out. Players fighting through cramps. Two over times. And the smallest player in the gym was by far the best play on any team last night. Chicone refused to lose. What a performance by Mentor. The regional championship game would have been a thriller. Unfortunately for both teams that earned the right to be in that game, it won’t happen.
They were good enough to finish third in the fed. Our kids didn't like a bus ride out of safe Stark County into a city with corona virus. It bothered them, and it showed. Shakers kids live up there and were less bothered by the weirdness of it all. At halftime, they felt physically safe enough to focus on the game and outplayed Shaker the rest of the way.. Both sets of refs were atrocious, and Medina was hosed so badly I thought their coaches were going to get ejected for their understandable outrage.

You guys are know nothing's whose programs think it's a big deal just to get to a regional. In my lifetime, I can't even begin to count how many McKinley have been in tbh, something like 15-20 so it's always nice but it's really no big deal to me. We have more state championships in basketball than your entire league put together lol. Give it a rest.

They were good enough to finish third in the fed. Our kids didn't like a bus ride out of safe Stark County into a city with corona virus. It bothered them, and it showed. Shakers kids live up there and were less bothered by the weirdness of it all. At halftime, they felt physically safe enough to focus on the game and outplayed Shaker the rest of the way.. Both sets of refs were atrocious, and Medina was hosed so badly I thought their coaches were going to get ejected for their understandable outrage.

You guys are know nothing's whose programs think it's a big deal just to get to a regional. In my lifetime, I can't even begin to count how many McKinley have been in tbh, something like 15-20 so it's always nice but it's really no big deal to me. We have more state championships in basketball than your entire league put together lol. Give it a rest.

Congratulations on your past championships. I didn’t realize your players were so distraught and didn’t want to even play. I’m sure if the officials knew that ahead of time they might have called a better game for you. Better yet maybe you’re coach should have talked to shaker and explained the situation. They might have backed off and let you score more than 21 in a half. Love people that make excuses. It was everything else that caused us to play bad. Coronavirus, the long bus ride, unsafe Cuyahoga County, bad officials, lighting, the green curtain background...etc. Had nothing to do with Shaker being better and playing harder. But wait you won the second half. Maybe they should give you another state championship. I mean I’m sure you were going to keep right on rolling and win it all. Maybe give Jerry Snodgrass a call and explain the situation. I’m sure he will agree and give you another trophy. What a joke. Stay safe LMFAO

You know, I thought it was silly earlier in the year when a poster blamed his team's loss to STVM on the death of Kobe Bryant, but this may even be sillier! McKinley lost because the team was worried about the corona virus!?! C'mon JJ, you've got to better than that! I was surprised Shaker won the game. Having seen them both play the Irish, I felt that McKinley was the better team. But one team came ready to play and one team came out flat. It happens. But give credit where credit is due. Don't try to cobble together some excuse for the loss.

JJ we understand what you did in the past, trust me, being the poster you are you need to tell the world about your past greatness 27 times a day. However, this is modern times. You must also remember that ALL the schools you play didn't have the luxury to have a D2 high school added to them so they can still compete at that high level they did 25 years ago. The fact of the Shaker game was McK played two of their better games of the year to beat Green and Boardman and their 3-point and foul shooting was going to come back down to earth real soon which it did.

I'm not sure if this it tongue and cheek, and hopefully it is.

For one, it's now ironic that McKinley had to travel to unsafe Cuyahoga County due to coronavirus, then the first confirmed case in Ohio outside of the original four was in Stark County. Now, Stark County is one of three counties to have confirmed multiple cases (though according to DeWine's tweet, it is highly likely every single county in the state has somebody affected if the 100,000 is even close to being true and I'm guessing he tweeted that because he knows information that is not public).

Second, like others have said, McKinley's history is unmatched. But lets not act like it was McKinley and three other teams just happy to be there. Mentor has won something like 15 districts in the past 20 years. Medina has probably won 12 to 15 overall with most coming in the last 25 years. Shaker is probably is similar to Medina.

Third, Medina was not robbed. Medina robbed themselves by blowing 5-6 layups, went something like 2 from 12 from 3 and missed I think it was three front ends of 1-and-1s. You do that and go up against a kid like Chicone who was playing out of his mind and dominating, you're not going to win. Mentor didn't have everything go for them either, but they made more plays. That's it.

With that, with both Johnson and Walker coming back, I definitely think McKinley is going to be a contender to win the state title next year. Medina should be in the mix even with the loss of Szumski, they still have Tripp and Howard-Caffey coming back and, collectively, the 6-7 other juniors/sophomores who will be up are more talented than the other (non-Szumski) seniors who are departing (though who knows if they fit their roles as well as those other seniors did this year).