Benedictine 2019

What do we know about Brecksville this year?
Big Qb with a bigger arm
Solid like size upfront but an undersized north Royalton team hung with them for 2 and a half quarters so not sure how physical they are.
Undersized in the defensive backfield. They like to press at the line I’m not sure how successful that would be against the threats the Bengals have outside.

QB- Labas: Jr. 3 sport athlete, Football looks to be 1st, 6'2ish, 190ish, can throw, run, smart athelete. Will need to apply pressure and contain at the same time!
RB's- Hatcher:Sr. also wrestles, 190ish, tough downhill runner. Kubitz: Jr. 190ish, another hard nose runner. Both similar paces, if compared to pro-game I would say they are like a couple Tommy Vardell's. Not overwhelming speed but will run hard.
WR's: Jannozzo: Jr. not a big kid 5'11ish 150ish, but athletic and slick. Wilson: Sr. another smaller WR. but quick, good hands. If press could be physical at LOS to throw off routes, allow pressure on QB.
OL: this group is big with mix of couple Sr.'s, Jr's, and a Soph. Do not look to be over physical. Just big bodies. Will see how it goes against some of the faster DL/LB's Benny will be fielding.

Offense: Like to run Off tackle especially right side/will include some counters with slot across to block/like the bubble screens with trips/lots of inside passing routes- posts/square ins. QB can roll out to hit sideline throws especially in 3rd down situations.

Defense
Several players play both ways including OL/DL. Nothing stood out as overwhelming . They do press and have like to apply pressure via the blitz.

Offense Avg: 42 pts Defense Allowed: 27 pts: Lost to 2 playoff teams on schedule. Signature wins would be Stow & Hudson. Hudson has small DL/LB/DB's. Not much pressure and poor pass coverage (played off). Green/CFalls/Twins/Nordonia/North Royalton are all down this year, Nordonia being the best of that bunch. Would be equivalent to playing NDCL/Padua.

QB- Labas: Jr. 3 sport athlete, Football looks to be 1st, 6'2ish, 190ish, can throw, run, smart athelete. Will need to apply pressure and contain at the same time!
RB's- Hatcher:Sr. also wrestles, 190ish, tough downhill runner. Kubitz: Jr. 190ish, another hard nose runner. Both similar paces, if compared to pro-game I would say they are like a couple Tommy Vardell's. Not overwhelming speed but will run hard.
WR's: Jannozzo: Jr. not a big kid 5'11ish 150ish, but athletic and slick. Wilson: Sr. another smaller WR. but quick, good hands. If press could be physical at LOS to throw off routes, allow pressure on QB.
OL: this group is big with mix of couple Sr.'s, Jr's, and a Soph. Do not look to be over physical. Just big bodies. Will see how it goes against some of the faster DL/LB's Benny will be fielding.

Offense: Like to run Off tackle especially right side/will include some counters with slot across to block/like the bubble screens with trips/lots of inside passing routes- posts/square ins. QB can roll out to hit sideline throws especially in 3rd down situations.

Defense
Several players play both ways including OL/DL. Nothing stood out as overwhelming . They do press and have like to apply pressure via the blitz.

Offense Avg: 42 pts Defense Allowed: 27 pts: Lost to 2 playoff teams on schedule. Signature wins would be Stow & Hudson. Hudson has small DL/LB/DB's. Not much pressure and poor pass coverage (played off). Green/CFalls/Twins/Nordonia/North Royalton are all down this year, Nordonia being the best of that bunch. Would be equivalent to playing NDCL/Padua.

View attachment 4518
Snowy with some wind. Favors Bene.

For those who enjoy stats! All courtesy of the blocking of Vasko, Black, Beltavski, Jolly, Hamrick, McDonnel, Garvis, and Womack!

Attachments

• NHFinalStats.pdf
    529.8 KB · Views: 21
Article from Max Preps:
Benedictine fans better hope the squad plays one heck of a game on Friday as the odds are decidedly against them. They will be playing in front of their home fans against Brecksville-Broadview Heights at 7 p.m. ET. Benedictine knows how to get points on the board -- the squad has finished with flashy point totals in its past four matchups -- so hopefully Brecksville-Broadview Heights likes a good challenge.
The Bengals simply couldn't be stopped last week, as they easily beat Walsh Jesuit 62-24.
Meanwhile, it was all tied up 14-14 at halftime, but the Bees were not quite Wadsworth's equal in the second half when they met last Friday. Brecksville-Broadview Heights had victory within their grasp but couldn't quite capture it as the team lost 35-34 to Wadsworth. A silver lining for Brecksville-Broadview Heights was the play of Joe Labas, who passed for 280 yards and three TDs. Labas has been one of Brecksville-Broadview Heights' best players in each of their past ten games.
Benedictine's win lifted them to 9-1 while Brecksville-Broadview Heights' defeat dropped them down to 7-3. We'll find out if the Bengals can add another positive mark to their record or if the Bees can shake off the loss and take the spring out of Benedictine's step.

Article from Max Preps:
Benedictine fans better hope the squad plays one heck of a game on Friday as the odds are decidedly against them. They will be playing in front of their home fans against Brecksville-Broadview Heights at 7 p.m. ET. Benedictine knows how to get points on the board -- the squad has finished with flashy point totals in its past four matchups -- so hopefully Brecksville-Broadview Heights likes a good challenge.
The Bengals simply couldn't be stopped last week, as they easily beat Walsh Jesuit 62-24.
Meanwhile, it was all tied up 14-14 at halftime, but the Bees were not quite Wadsworth's equal in the second half when they met last Friday. Brecksville-Broadview Heights had victory within their grasp but couldn't quite capture it as the team lost 35-34 to Wadsworth. A silver lining for Brecksville-Broadview Heights was the play of Joe Labas, who passed for 280 yards and three TDs. Labas has been one of Brecksville-Broadview Heights' best players in each of their past ten games.
Benedictine's win lifted them to 9-1 while Brecksville-Broadview Heights' defeat dropped them down to 7-3. We'll find out if the Bengals can add another positive mark to their record or if the Bees can shake off the loss and take the spring out of Benedictine's step.
About the article above...

This article is automatically generated by infoSentience based on data entered into MaxPreps, so while we are not in person at each game, we are able to cover high schools across the country with a news article. To share comments, correct errors, or give any other feedback on the article please send an email to maxpreps-infosentience-article-feedback@cbsinteractive.com

Reporting on high school sports in NE Ohio has become a joke. Two reporters: Matt Goul (Plain Dealer) and Nate Barnes (News Herald) do a nice job but they can't do it all.
I'll give you a prime example on how bad it has gotten. WKYC has chosen the Benedictine - Brecksville playoff game to be their "game of the week". This is a direct quote from their preview, "Further north in Cleveland, Benedictine is back in the playoffs after a one-year hiatus and enjoying its best season so far under coach Carter Welo." Game of the week and you can't even get the head coach's name right, clueless

Last edited:
Reporting on high school sports in NE Ohio has become a joke. Two reporters: Matt Goul (Plain Dealer) and Nate Barnes (News Herald) do a nice job but they can't do it all.
I'll give you a prime example on how bad it has gotten. WKYC has chosen the Benedictine - Brecksville playoff game to be their "game of the week". This is a direct quote from their preview, "Further north in Cleveland, Benedictine is back in the playoffs after a one-year hiatus and enjoying its best season so far under coach Carter Welo." Game of the week and you can't even get the head coach's name right, clueless

Gone are the days with multiple local beat writers covering HS Sports... Because of this many schools have gone to creating their own coverage, something I have been saying for as while that Benny is way behind on. The Benet under Mark Fancioli has always been a great student newspaper, house a social media type student reporter under this banner and put some content up on the web site and social media platforms. It seems that any teen these days can pull this together and you have an adult to proof it so you can control the content and message. There should also be a hype video on Twitter and Instagram right now for this game, 7th and 8th graders love this stuff and it gets them engaged and talking about the game. The school is starting to do this with a weekly re-cap and the principal is posting old game film clips to create some kind of engagement with the alums but I still see nothing directly involving the athletic department. At least they are now streaming the games.

Starting two years ago, the OHSAA in its ultimate wisdom, moved all playoff games, for all divisions, to Fridays. This severely limits the quality venues available starting week #2 of the playoffs (i.e. In the past, a venue like Byers Field could host a DII playoff game on Friday and a DI game on Saturday).

Now in week #2 (the start of neutral sites), instead of having 32 playoff games on a Friday and 24 games on Saturday, all 56 games are played on Friday (again limiting the number of venues that can be used). The funny thing is, the OHSAA complains its gate money has dropped. It had to, when you limit people to only one game per weekend. Was always nice to catch a Bengal playoff game on a Friday and then go watch St. Ed or St Ignatius on Saturday.

My mistake. It turns out that for at least the first round, DI, DII, DIII and DVI will be played on Friday and DIV, DV and DVII on Saturday

Last edited:
During the first four rounds of the playoffs, all games will kick off at 7 PM. Division I, II, III and VI games are on Fridays. Division IV, V and VII games are on Saturdays.

Regarding the weather forecast for the Brecksville playoff game, Al Roker sez...

Partly cloudy with a low of 25, winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Make sure to have the heaters cranked on the sidelines.

Was expecting this thread to blow up after Friday's resilient performance by the Bengals? Feeling bad for the fans who were crying the Bengal blues or those who left after being down 21-3....good lesson not to give up on these boys!

Hat tip to Brecksville on an amazing turnaround season. They came to play. The defense was more physical than expected. Labas is as advertised but not sure why they didn't lean on him more often. My guess is they wanted to eat that clock, knowing the Bengals could explode at any time! Kubitz & Hatcher are tough mudders! Overall that team was well balanced and pesky. Great competition.

Some key plays included Lott's ability to corral the ball along the sidelines for a huge fumble recovery. Another was the 3rd down sack/loss of yards inside the 5. I believe it was Merrill & Bama with the pressure. That Merrill young man played both ways majority of the game and never stops. Hes a special one.

The obvious big plays of Rossers one-handed TD catch and Schultz 20 yard 3rd scamper were clutch plays made by play makers doing their job. Gales has been very reliable the 2nd half of the season & played great DB. Edwards fights for every yard and has become a great pass catcher out of the backfield. Ended the game with 103 yds rushing.

The line once again battled. Even after Beltavski was banged up on his leg, he refused to leave the game. The Soph. McDonnel stepped in with a 1st start to battle all night. That kid had a big heart.

Overall, as mentioned this was an instant classic! Local coverage by Cle.com, News Herald, WKYC and 1420 radio was great! Overheard on Radio that Schultz's 361 passing yards were a Benedictine playoff record previously held by Larry Wanke. Pretty remarkable considering the mid-20's temps.

Congrats to the Bengals, time to get ready for a show down with Avon.

What do we know about Avon?

Was expecting this thread to blow up after Friday's resilient performance by the Bengals? Feeling bad for the fans who were crying the Bengal blues or those who left after being down 21-3....good lesson not to give up on these boys!

Hat tip to Brecksville on an amazing turnaround season. They came to play. The defense was more physical than expected. Labas is as advertised but not sure why they didn't lean on him more often. My guess is they wanted to eat that clock, knowing the Bengals could explode at any time! Kubitz & Hatcher are tough mudders! Overall that team was well balanced and pesky. Great competition.

Some key plays included Lott's ability to corral the ball along the sidelines for a huge fumble recovery. Another was the 3rd down sack/loss of yards inside the 5. I believe it was Merrill & Bama with the pressure. That Merrill young man played both ways majority of the game and never stops. Hes a special one.

The obvious big plays of Rossers one-handed TD catch and Schultz 20 yard 3rd scamper were clutch plays made by play makers doing their job. Gales has been very reliable the 2nd half of the season & played great DB. Edwards fights for every yard and has become a great pass catcher out of the backfield. Ended the game with 103 yds rushing.

The line once again battled. Even after Beltavski was banged up on his leg, he refused to leave the game. The Soph. McDonnel stepped in with a 1st start to battle all night. That kid had a big heart.

Overall, as mentioned this was an instant classic! Local coverage by Cle.com, News Herald, WKYC and 1420 radio was great! Overheard on Radio that Schultz's 361 passing yards were a Benedictine playoff record previously held by Larry Wanke. Pretty remarkable considering the mid-20's temps.

Congrats to the Bengals, time to get ready for a show down with Avon.

What do we know about Avon?

The more pragmatic Benny fans have been on the Region 6 thread talking about the game, less noise over there.

The guys on 1420 said the play of the game was the horse collar tackle by Stauffer that kept Brecksville out of the end zone in the 4th Q, that gave Benny a chance to make that goal line stand and keep it a 1 score game. Russ always believed that you put your best athlete at Free Safety so you don't give up the HR TD.

To me the lines did struggle at times in this game, they just didn't get the push on runs and the nice pocket on passes that they have had and I guess we can chalk it up to the injuries and a better opponent than the NCL teams they faced after Hoban. Defensively it looked like things were clogged up on the line but the Bees RBs seemed to get a better effort than the LBs trying to tackle them. I was very surprised that Brecksville didn't run the QB more in the 2nd half, they could have really blown it open if they did.

Avon is a better version of Brecksville, even with their key injuries. This is not their first rodeo and they understand that playoff football is a different animal, the weather is a bigger factor and depth of the roster due to injuries comes into play. They are basically double the enrollment of Benny but due to competitive balance Benny ends up in Div II, they will have many more kids on the sideline than the Bengals. Tough opponent and I would expect another close game this weekend.

Benedictine 35
Avon 34
3OT

Hope to see Fr Gerard in attendance as he will know many in stands on both sides of field.

The more pragmatic Benny fans have been on the Region 6 thread talking about the game, less noise over there.

The guys on 1420 said the play of the game was the horse collar tackle by Stauffer that kept Brecksville out of the end zone in the 4th Q, that gave Benny a chance to make that goal line stand and keep it a 1 score game. Russ always believed that you put your best athlete at Free Safety so you don't give up the HR TD.

To me the lines did struggle at times in this game, they just didn't get the push on runs and the nice pocket on passes that they have had and I guess we can chalk it up to the injuries and a better opponent than the NCL teams they faced after Hoban. Defensively it looked like things were clogged up on the line but the Bees RBs seemed to get a better effort than the LBs trying to tackle them. I was very surprised that Brecksville didn't run the QB more in the 2nd half, they could have really blown it open if they did.

Avon is a better version of Brecksville, even with their key injuries. This is not their first rodeo and they understand that playoff football is a different animal, the weather is a bigger factor and depth of the roster due to injuries comes into play. They are basically double the enrollment of Benny but due to competitive balance Benny ends up in Div II, they will have many more kids on the sideline than the Bengals. Tough opponent and I would expect another close game this weekend.
Great point with Stauffer play! Ended up losing 1.5 yards but kept out of end zone. Stauffer is a great athlete!
Disagree that Avon or even SWC is 2x good as Brecksville. Is Avon’s backup QB a D1 recruit? The conference that Brecksville plays in is just as tough. Wadsworth will give AL all they can handle. Hudson was very good this year & Stow, when on, could beat the best of them...ask Solon. Talking to sources from SWC & scrimmaging Olmstead Falls, the conference is also on the down turn.

i like our chances. The Brecksville test was a great way to prepare.