Recent content by WB 1970s

1. W

#8 Struthers @ #1 West Branch

I don't remember much but I do know they were really good. I just remember them joining and they were really good in basketball too. I think they had the Robbins brothers that had some battles with the Timko brothers in JFK. I think our big problem then was our head coach, Dick Hartzell...
  2. W

I think when we first left the MVC we had a rough schedule for a couple of years. But about 2 to 3 years in the schedule got weaker and our teams got better. The first playoff team did not really play that good of a schedule but they were really good. If I remember correctly we lost to North...
  3. W

I do remember when we started playing Struthers. We were in the final years of the MVC and not playing very well and Struthers was just starting in the conference. I was already graduated but my brother played and i think it was Struthers that had a deaf player and he was really good. I think...
  4. W

2022 EBC

Life long WB player/fan here. WB had a ton of great QB and most played not he unbalanced I so passing yards were hard to come by. All of these guys were all state QBs: I may be missing some after Ben Swallow because i moved for a while or have the wrong college but old time WB fans have...
  5. W

Division IV State Semifinal: Port Clinton (13-1) vs. Ursuline (10-3)

My bad/ don’t know much about them either!! Still same take on Ursuline though
  6. W

Division IV State Semifinal: Port Clinton (13-1) vs. Ursuline (10-3)

Coming from a WB fan - I really think Ursuline has the size and speed and toughness to be a great defense. They got a comfortable lead on WB and stayed in a tight man to man coverage and allowed WB to hit a couple of big plays to (almost) get back in the game. Had they just went to a zone and...
  7. W

Division IV Region 13 Championship: #1 West Branch vs. #3 Youngstown Ursuline

Ursuline was just too much for the Warriors but what an enjoyable season. I think Ursuline does ease up on defense and kept us in the game. I really think they have the speed and size to have a shut down defense to go along with their champiionship offense. Good luck to the Irish the rest of...
  8. W

Division IV Region 13 Championship: #1 West Branch vs. #3 Youngstown Ursuline

West Branch was up 42 - 21 at the half against South. WB could never take their starters out becauseSouth kept scoring and hanging around. I was worried about our defense after that game. The next weekend we couldn't close Howland out and gave up 34. I didn't think we would survive long in the...
  9. W

The Official 2021 EBC football thread

Feeling pretty good about the game tomorrow night. I like WB 38-24. The defense seem to be making strides and playing some pretty good football.
  10. W

Good luck to Minerva. I hope they find the right fit that can turn it around. I was sitting in the stands when they beat us in 2019. I thought they finally were on the right path. Last year was a strange year due to Covid but didn't they win a couple games late and beat a pretty good United...
  11. W

And Steubenville was supposed to be the best team in the state- all divisions
  12. W

I have seen every team since the early 70s and played in the 70s. DeShields reminds me of the 3 all Ohio quarterbacks of the 70s. All true quarterbacks- I think the QB of the 94 team could have been all state at any position - just a great, tough football player. I do think the overall team...
  13. W

It’s crazy in 2019 Minerva went to West Branch and a familiar name to WB football ran all over us and won the game. 2020 Minerva had just about everyone back and we handled them easily. I think you had good players and the coaching was suspect. You had the same back and he was huge and fast and...
  14. W

That’s a cool story. West Branch had some good teams. He probably played for Jim Laut during his first stint at WB. He was there for 2 or 3 years in the early 70s and came back about 10 years later.
  15. W

Agree, WB, Louisville, Akron Springfield, Minerva, Dover for a while. There were really some good games. This year's WB team is really smooth on offense, I don't know if they have the speed and playmakers to make a really deep run in the playoffs but they do have kids that understand the...