Recent content by PantherVOR

1. PantherVOR

Are you a true West Sider??

I think you are talking about the Twin Lanterns which was the reception hall down near where the Dirty Dent was. The Water Mill Inn was a restaurant across the street from where KMart was.
  2. PantherVOR

Yeah I knew it was something artsy couldn’t remember if it was drama or dance.
  3. PantherVOR

Favorite Candy Bar

Most days my favorite would be the 100 Grand Bar, but there are some days when only a Butterfinger will do. Then of course there is the Baby Ruth... 😂
  4. PantherVOR

I didn’t until you mentioned it but yes I do.
  5. PantherVOR

They had the best sub sandwiches at Kresge’s lunch counter. I bowled in the Saturday morning youth league at Del-Fair in the early 70s and I would get a sub at Kresges when I was finished. Talk about livin’ large! I loved my Saturday mornings when I was a kid.
  6. PantherVOR

You may be right, I gave up bowling for about 20 years because I couldn’t stand the smoke anymore. I got back into bowling a few years after after the smoking ban. I missed the last 10-15 years of Del-Fair’s existence.
  7. PantherVOR

No. I think it’s a dance studio or something like that now.
  8. PantherVOR

That seems to ring a bell... 😉 I can’t remember if she was a daughter or daughter in law. If I recall correctly she was either a Hoinke that married a Goldfuss or a Goldfuss that married a Hoinke. The Goldfuss family was also big in the westside bowling community. I think Charlie Goldfuss...
  9. PantherVOR

I agree, Del-Fair was a victim of the ban on smoking. They had a nice setup down there. I always bowled better at Del-Fair than I did at Western. 😁
  10. PantherVOR

It definitely dropped off over the years but I feel like it was on its way back before Covid. On the weekends it can be hard to get a lane for open bowling. With bowling being a high school and college sport now I think there is renewed interest among the younger generations.
  11. PantherVOR

Yes Stumps is still open and well taken care of, at least the last time I was there it was well taken care of.
  12. PantherVOR

It may have been 10 or more years ago that the Hoinkes sold, they were looking to sell it to a developer that would have probably torn the place down (at least that is what I heard). At the time we were happy that is was going to continue as a bowling alley, unfortunately the group that bought...
  13. PantherVOR

If you are talking about the Hoinkes they did sell years ago. The slide started when the son(s) were running it but has really accelerated under the “new” ownership. Western Bowl is no longer owned locally and you can tell, there is no pride in the place at all. And most (not all) of their...
  14. PantherVOR

My wife and I had our reception at Trolley Tavern too. We got married in ‘85
  15. PantherVOR

That looked like a really nice place. Old man Hoinke knew how to run a bowling alley. Western Bowl has never been the same without him, in fact, given it’s current condition my guess is Western Bowl won’t be around in five years. The place is a dump and poorly run. It’s hard to watch that...