Recent content by Jim Behrens

1. J

Three-point takedown, five-point near fall now a thing in high school

That is the only one I thought of as well BUT no scoring is done outside the lines. IOW, you can be called out but no advancing is possible,
  2. J

I am a fan of the idea but my opinion means less than nothing.
  3. J

You are 100% correct but they created their own problem. The mats should NEVER have been that close together under any rules.
  4. J

Overall, I don't "think" it will be an issue (but I am wrong a lot) but there are certainly going to be times when a situation is ruled OOB's and coaches/fans won't like it. I can almost bet that what we will be told in our rules meeting is that safety trumps all. I have a thought on this, why...
  5. J

NFHS rule changes for 2024-25

Feet are not an issue and it really isn't that hard. The real difficulty comes when trying to see where the knees are relative to the boundary line while looking for a fall or near fall.
  6. J

The Next GOAT

"Back in my day"!! LOL While I don't disagree with much of what you say, the object is to win a match. It has never been to "entertain" the fans. That is very secondary. BTW, why did you make everyone's name plural? There was only one Smith, one Baumgartner, one Belaglazov, etc.
  7. J

Folkstyle or Freestyle

While I do not agree that the matches were boring, I completely agree with the two points you raise. The idea of winning by criteria (which I do like) because one was on the clock last makes NO sense to me. I also agree that OOB's is OOB's and should be called the same. You could see guys...
  8. J

Folkstyle or Freestyle

Without trying to sound mean, you must be joking. How many schools have eliminated wreslting in the last 25 years or so? From what I can find, there are only 78 D1 wrestling programs across the country. That is a far cry from what we once had. As near as I can tell, 158 colleges once had D1...
  9. J

What Brian Brakeman Said About Every State Champion (1977 – 1982)

An amazing amount of research and reading had to go into doing this. Nice work!!
  10. J

New Numbers in 2024-2025

First, the other sports have not expanded, the OHSAA just divided them into more but smaller pies. The more teams they have in playoffs, resulting in more playoff contests, the more money they make. Like it or not, boys wrestling simply does not have the numbers needed to add another division...
  11. J

New Numbers in 2024-2025

Not trying to start an argument but a couple of points to consider. Unless the idea comes from the tournament director, it is not going to happen. You say that adding a fourth division (which I feel is not going to happen) would water down the competition but then feel that adding two more guys...
  12. J

New Numbers in 2024-2025

The way it was explained to us, by someone very high up, is that the ONLY move possible will be to D1 regardless of the sport. That would mean no moves from D3 to D2 are possible. From what we were told, this was apparently driven by BB where there are a few teams that are much better than the...
  13. J

New Numbers in 2024-2025

Well, one thing you missed is that the school can bump up ONLY to D1. As the rules were written, no other move is possible.
  14. J

New Numbers in 2024-2025

This from a good contact (and state tournament official) in Pennsylvania. "They divide the schools in 1/2 based on 10-12 boy’s population".
  15. J

2024 RESHOT All-Star Classic, 3rd Annual

A great event and well worth attending as either a wrestler or a spectator.