2023-24 Ohio State Basketball

I get it. First time HC brings in a guy with 10ish years of HC experience. Don’t love it though. Think I saw his record is around .400?
Supposedly he can’t recruit and was a big part of Thad failing at the end. This screams new HC with no cache to bring in top level assistants.

This is why I wasn’t a fan of Diebler, not only did I question his lack of defense but the program needed a total restart.

I get it. First time HC brings in a guy with 10ish years of HC experience. Don’t love it though. Think I saw his record is around .400?
Yes...at two jobs that, respectively, are absolute .

Tulane has like 4-5 non-losing seasons in the last 25 years. Ron Hunter (widely regarded as good) has one winning season in five years there, and has regularly been at the bottom of the AAC.

South Carolina-Upstate has been D1 for about 15 years and has struggled tremendously for most of that time.

A "top level assistant" is not coming to Ohio State to be...an assistant.

I'm guessing that by resume, Groce and Boals blow away everyone else that's been an assistant at OSU in the last 25-30 years. Future MAC head coaches. Groce had the Illinois job before Underwood, and stunk it up horrendously before heading back to the MAC for a second go around.

"Operating budget" does not include NIL.

Something to consider at Ohio State as it turns the page is that while flush with cash, it's flush with cash that's prioritized to football...and if need be, to massive buyouts and future contracts for football coaches and support staff.

Diebler got $2.5 million (plus incentives) to be promoted to head coach. Dusty May (and probably Scott Drew and whatever other pipe dream candidates they're pursuing) had $4-4.5 million on the table at Louisville plus upwards of $3 million for the 4 assistant coaches. I want to say Jake was getting about $600k as the associate head coach this year. He's probably getting that amount or slightly more for Dickerson, and then another $1-1.2 million for the other three assistant spots.

"Operating budget" does not include NIL.

Something to consider at Ohio State as it turns the page is that while flush with cash, it's flush with cash that's prioritized to football...and if need be, to massive buyouts and future contracts for football coaches and support staff.

Diebler got $2.5 million (plus incentives) to be promoted to head coach. Dusty May (and probably Scott Drew and whatever other pipe dream candidates they're pursuing) had $4-4.5 million on the table at Louisville plus upwards of $3 million for the 4 assistant coaches. I want to say Jake was getting about $600k as the associate head coach this year. He's probably getting that amount or slightly more for Dickerson, and then another $1-1.2 million for the other three assistant spots.
Men’s basketball had revenues over $24 million with a profit of almost $10 million. This for fiscal 23 according to the Columbus Dispatch, so my guess is OSU falls in the middle of that list.

There are rumors that Meechie Johnson might transfer back to Ohio State. Would be a solid pickup, problem is he doesn't shoot that well on top of not being very big. OSU needs more of the 6'5-6'7 guards with length and height (look at Illinois). Not the players under 6'3.

This also doesn't fix the problem of adding another big forward or 2 that can play the 4 and replace Battles scoring and hit the 3 consistently

Belmont sophomore guard Cade Tyson in the portal...

6'7 wing that was second team Missouri Valley Conference this year while averaging roughly 16 and 6 while shooting over 46% from 3.

Will likely be among the best, if not the best, lengthy shooters available in the portal. With at least two years of eligibility a bunch of schools like OSU should be backing up the Brinks truck.

6'7 wing that was second team Missouri Valley Conference this year while averaging roughly 16 and 6 while shooting over 46% from 3.

Will likely be among the best, if not the best, lengthy shooters available in the portal. With at least two years of eligibility a bunch of schools like OSU should be backing up the Brinks truck.
PASS…..He scored all of 3 points vs Arizona back in November. Just because he had a good scoring average in the MVC doesn’t mean he’s going to have the same success in the big ten.

Players OSU should be getting from the MVC are their players of the year, not 2nd teamers and even then that’s no guarantee.

PASS…..He scored all of 3 points vs Arizona back in November. Just because he had a good scoring average in the MVC doesn’t mean he’s going to have the same success in the big ten.

Players OSU should be getting from the MVC are their players of the year, not 2nd teamers and even then that’s no guarantee.
You never heard of Dalton Knecht? Will be first team all-American this year. Transferred from Northern Colorado to Tennessee. Last season he was 2nd team Big Sky.

WVU got Tucker DeVries from Drake.

Of course they had to hire his dad as HC to do it.

Now if I had a wish list of players in the tourney I would love to see the Buckeyes poach it would start with Holmes from Dayton, but he’s not leaving UD.

Outside of the coach's kid from Drake and "Cream Abdul Jabbar" from Indiana State...all of the first team MVC players were 4th and 5th year guys. Like pretty much every other league in the super senior post-COVID era.

Elite shooting has a much higher hit rate at translating upwards than ball dominant guards when "pulling up" low and mid-major players. Hell an older guy that was a D2 player pushed Oakland past UK and nearly to the second weekend.

Now if I had a wish list of players in the tourney I would love to see the Buckeyes poach it would start with Holmes from Dayton, but he’s not leaving UD.
I would be surprised if that kid doesn't go pro. May as well be a second round pick now as opposed to a second round pick 1-2 years from now. I like his game, but at times he really struggled IMO against more physical players. He's going to be almost 22 at draft time, and the NBA hates older prospects. He needs to go now to have any chance at sticking.

The UD player with the most portal cache IMO is Brea if he chooses to go that route for his bonus 5th year. Like the kid from Belmont, he presents both length and elite shooting...and has shown it at times off the dribble/using the ball screen and stretching the floor vertically beyond NBA range.

This is a tough matchup especially with Middleton not playing. Georgia is much bigger overall than OSU so scoring inside is going to be a problem with the team only having 2 players who can consistently hit the outside shot.

Crazy to live in a world where a garbage program like Georgia is bigger and more athletic than Ohio State.

This is a tough matchup especially with Middleton not playing. Georgia is much bigger overall than OSU so scoring inside is going to be a problem with the team only having 2 players who can consistently hit the outside shot.

Crazy to live in a world where a garbage program like Georgia is bigger and more athletic than Ohio State.
And yet the Bucks are a 8.5 point fav

Even though it’s only a one point game unfortunately Georgia is the better team. It will be an upset if OSU wins.

They are so much bigger at every position it’s honestly sick to witness. Their margin for error is as wide as the ocean while one little mess up by OSU is disastrous.

Without Middleton OSU has absolutely no scoring punch from their bench, length, or floor spacing.