2023-2024 General Discussion

With the three point shot, the comebacks we’ve already seen in games, and the ability of the players it’s hard to predict a team is finished only ten minutes into the game, but I’m sensing Arizona is ready to blow away Dayton. Holmes will be dead by the end of the game if Arizona keeps making it so difficult for him to even get touches. Hope I’m wrong, though.

With the three point shot, the comebacks we’ve already seen in games, and the ability of the players it’s hard to predict a team is finished only ten minutes into the game, but I’m sensing Arizona is ready to blow away Dayton. Holmes will be dead by the end of the game if Arizona keeps making it so difficult for him to even get touches. Hope I’m wrong, though.
It got even worse to where Dayton was on the brink of being run out of the gym…but a late Dayton run has made it a game at the half.

True, I forgot about that one. Still, let’s wait another round before making any big judgments on how the ACC is doing.
I don’t think the conference is that good, just saying they’ve been sneaky good to start. Nobody is talking about them and they are right there if not higher than the Big East in historical success

Sounds like May to Louisville is a done deal.

$4+ million salary, healthy salary pool for assistants plus fairly significant NIL commitment.

Probably going to be the nail in the coffin for UD here.

Holmes has been getting mugged all day and finally decided he'd had enough.

Sounds like May to Louisville is a done deal.

$4+ million salary, healthy salary pool for assistants plus fairly significant NIL commitment.
Good deal for him. He went as far at FAU as he could. I know he had the Final Four trip, but I’m just not overly impressed with him as a sure thing hire. I did not want him at Ohio State. It will be interesting to see what he can do at Louisville, where hoops is king.

I don’t think the conference is that good, just saying they’ve been sneaky good to start. Nobody is talking about them and they are right there if not higher than the Big East in historical success
I have immense respect for the history of the ACC. At the height of Dean Smith, Roy Williams and Coach K, there were many years when the ACC was the best overall basketball league — especially when Gary Williams had Maryland playing like a power, guys like Tim Duncan, Chris Paul and Randolph Childress were at Wake Forest, and even Georgia Tech had some very solid years.

It’s painful to see how they’ve slid the past couple years, even with Miami’s run last year. Duke feels less dangerous so far under Scheyer. Hubert Davis’s team feels like a shaky #1 seed. Virginia is stuck in the mud on offense. Leonard Hamilton is no longer working magic at FSU. Syracuse has slid from its Big East height. Boston College and Georgia Tech have been irrelevant. Etc.

That Creighton-Oregon game to end the night was highly entertaining. Oregon was about the closest thing to a literal two-man team — Couisnard and Dante scored 37 of Oregon’s 39 points in the second half and OTs. Only four Oregon players scored at all.

Creighton, meanwhile, went their usual seven deep, with the usual four of those seven being good scorers. Baylor Scheierman and Trey Alexander went all 50 minutes. Ryan Kalkbrenner played more than 49 minutes. And it was Bluejays who were the more conditioned team, as Oregon was purposely walking the ball up the court to give Dante and Couisnard as much time to catch their breath as possible.

Creighton missed a ton of open looks that they usually make, especially in the first half, but they finally got hot in double OT and Couisnard finally was too tired to keep firing back on the other end.

That’s three Sweet 16 berths in the past four seasons for Creighton, for those who might want to note such things. @Stirred not Shaken

If Arthur Kaluma and Ryan Nembhard had stayed in Omaha for this season, Creighton would probably be a national title favorite. As is, they’ve got a puncher’s chance anytime Scheierman, Alexander and Ashworth are hitting shots.

That Creighton-Oregon game to end the night was highly entertaining. Oregon was about the closest thing to a literal two-man team — Couisnard and Dante scored 37 of Oregon’s 39 points in the second half and OTs. Only four Oregon players scored at all.

Creighton, meanwhile, went their usual seven deep, with the usual four of those seven being good scorers. Baylor Scheierman and Trey Alexander went all 50 minutes. Ryan Kalkbrenner played more than 49 minutes. And it was Bluejays who were the more conditioned team, as Oregon was purposely walking the ball up the court to give Dante and Couisnard as much time to catch their breath as possible.

Creighton missed a ton of open looks that they usually make, especially in the first half, but they finally got hot in double OT and Couisnard finally was too tired to keep firing back on the other end.

That’s three Sweet 16 berths in the past four seasons for Creighton, for those who might want to note such things. @Stirred not Shaken

If Arthur Kaluma and Ryan Nembhard had stayed in Omaha for this season, Creighton would probably be a national title favorite. As is, they’ve got a puncher’s chance anytime Scheierman, Alexander and Ashworth are hitting shots.
Some of it is plain luck of the draw. Oregon only got in the tourney because they won their conf. tourney, plus Oregon did not shoot a foul shot till less than a min. left in regulation how is that even possible. Jays have a veteran team which do good in the tournament, but everyone knows if Creighton was in the Big 12 they wouldn't have even made the tourney, already shown you in another thread all the teams that made the tourney on a regular basis when in the Big East that have disappeared now that they are in P5 conferences.

Edit: Being in the Big East enables the top schools in that conference to get a high seed in the tourney so a team basically needs to beat 2 lower seeded teams to be among the sweet16, it is an advantage to be a high seed. Illini played Duquesne in the 2nd rd.

Last edited:
Some of it is plain luck of the draw. Oregon only got in the tourney because they won their conf. tourney,
Those are often some of the more dangerous teams to face early in the tournament, as they come in on a roll with great confidence. Look at NC State. They were in the same boat, easily handled Texas Tech from your great Big 12, then survived the Oakland/Gohlke groundswell to make it to the Sweet 16.
plus Oregon did not shoot a foul shot till less than a min. left in regulation how is that even possible.
Because Creighton, particularly Ryan Kalkbrenner, knows how to play defense without fouling. Creighton has had a 6 or 7-man rotation all year. All their starters know they can’t be out there hacking away on defense or the team would never survive. They’ve played like that all year. Kalkbrenner provided some resistance to Dante but he’s willing to give up some buckets inside in exchange for staying on the court. Most college teams/players are too dumb to understand the value of staying on the court and just hack away. Credit goes to Greg McDermott for instilling the right balance of smarts and aggression in his team.
Jays have a veteran team which do good in the tournament, but everyone knows if Creighton was in the Big 12 they wouldn't have even made the tourney,
Ludicrous comment. And was already disproven when you made the same baseless claim about Marquette and the Big Ten.
already shown you in another thread all the teams that made the tourney on a regular basis when in the Big East that have disappeared now that they are in P5 conferences.
And I shot down every one of those examples with great precision, at which point you had no rebuttal and moved on to your next baseless claim.

I’m done with this conversation. You are a lost Big Ten wonk and I’m not going to let your purposeful ignorance waste any more of my time.

Even your fellow Ohio State fans don’t agree with you on this matter.

It was definitely a great game to watch, but the end of regulation fell flat. Much like that terrible last possession of regulation by the FAU guard the other day, Cousinard also brought the ball upcourt too slowly and clearly had it in his mind to play hero ball and win it by himself. Didn’t work. Contrast that with how Creighton always moves the ball around looking for the best shot.

Tonight's games not even on CBS, NC game on TBS. This morning the lead news on ESPN Sportscenter was a Formula 1 race. Has college bball dropped that far in popularity.

Tonight's games not even on CBS, NC game on TBS. This morning the lead news on ESPN Sportscenter was a Formula 1 race. Has college bball dropped that far in popularity.
Good question. Men's games have not even been on any TVs at my gym since the tourney started. However, they have been showing women's tourney games on some of the TVs.

The Sunday night games are never on CBS.

ESPN pushes F1 on weekend mornings because they often broadcast those events. And also the NCAA has severe restrictions on tournament highlights that make it difficult for any media entity not named CBS or Turner to properly recap the tournament games.

Stirred and Bakin’ is gonna wake up tomorrow and tie himself into a pretzel trying to rationalize why the Big East has more Sweet 16 teams than his beloved Big Ten.

Here’s guessing he ignores this fact and goes back to acting like he cares about the NIT and every Big Ten transfer-portal entry that happens to have height.