Losing on purpose

tennman

Kettering 126
Mason kid let Centerville beat him in the opening round (was very obvious) because he thought he had a better chance to punch his ticket in the consolations against Harrison as opposed to the loser of Miamisburg vs Elder.

Almost worked out for him as he had the Harrison kid on his back and couldn't get the fall. Up 5-0 Mason in on another deep double and Harrison hits the elevator(must be his go to move, he tried it in the consolation finals but gave up 2 because of it) to stick Mason.

This is why they should do a true 4th!!!
Like I've been saying for years, if they condensed to three sectionals and three districts the match for 5th place would advance. There would be no more issue of a true 4th, wouldn't be necessary. I don't care how the State would answer the 16th spot. It would be doable. Could you imagine how that would improve sectional and district attendance/excitement on Saturday evening.

Kettering 126
Mason kid let Centerville beat him in the opening round (was very obvious) because he thought he had a better chance to punch his ticket in the consolations against Harrison as opposed to the loser of Miamisburg vs Elder.

Almost worked out for him as he had the Harrison kid on his back and couldn't get the fall. Up 5-0 Mason in on another deep double and Harrison hits the elevator(must be his go to move, he tried it in the consolation finals but gave up 2 because of it) to stick Mason.

Hah, I was wondering what was going on there...

Kettering 126

Wasn’t there but I see an 8-2 loss for Mason. What’s the burden of proof he threw it and took it the distance? If he threw it why not just get pinned right away, but he went the entire match?

I see the centerville kid won again in the consos so he seems to be not that bad.

I don't know why a wrestler would step on the mat and fake a match to purposely lose when they could simply default.

With that said, the question is, do we want the best 4 wrestlers to advance and represent the district, or do we want the 4 wrestlers that a randomized bracket produces? If we truly want the 4 best (most deserving) wrestlers, you have a true 4th round. The round might add 20-30 minutes to a tournament tops. If a true 4th isn't offered, coaches and wrestlers will forever attempt to do what they think is best in order to get into the top 4. The system is flawed and unless its fixed, this will continue. I'll give you a very specific example and I could point out plenty of times this happens, but here is a specific one from this weekend.

SW DI Kettering Fairmont District - 120lbs.

Springboro wrestler finishes with a 4-2 record. He lost to the 2nd & 3rd place finisher.

Hamilton wrestler also finishes 4-2. He lost to the 3rd place finisher AND head to head to the Springboro wrestler via a 12-4 major decision. However, because of the random bracket placement, the Hamilton wrestler advances to state, while the Springboro wrestler does not.

If you don't see the problem with that, I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:
Wasn’t there but I see an 8-2 loss for Mason. What’s the burden of proof he threw it and took it the distance? If he threw it why not just get pinned right away, but he went the entire match?

I see the centerville kid won again in the consos so he seems to be not that bad.
If you watched the match and know the kid you could tell he wasn't trying at all, he jogged of the mat smiling and he told numerous wrestlers it was on purpose. He pinned 4 kids that were just as good or better than the Centerville kid, they also had a common opponent Centerville was pinned in less than a minute against Edgewood, Mason pinned Edgewood (I know this doesn't always matter). Maybe his parents and or coaches would not allow him to forfeit them come back..... our coaches or me as a parent wouldn't.

Last edited:
If you watched the match and know the kid you could tell he wasn't trying at all, he jogged of the mat smiling and he told numerous wrestlers it was on purpose. He pinned 4 kids that were just as good or better than the Centerville kid. Maybe his parents and or coaches would not allow him to forfeit them come back..... our coaches or me as a parent wouldn't.
If you intentionally forfeit, and it’s not a medical forfeit verified by the tournament Director and tournament doctor you are out of the tournament that was a point of emphasis at the officials meeting at our sectional

I don't know why a wrestler would step on the mat and fake a match to purposely lose when they could simply default.

With that said, the question is, do we want the best 4 wrestlers to advance and represent the district, or do we want the 4 wrestlers that a randomized bracket produces? If we truly want the 4 best (most deserving) wrestlers, you have a true 4th round. The round might add 20-30 minutes to a tournament tops. If a true 4th isn't offered, coaches and wrestlers will forever attempt to do what they think is best in order to get into the top 4. The system is flawed and unless its fixed, this will continue. I'll give you a very specific example and I could point out plenty of times this happens, but here is a specific one from this weekend.

SW DI Kettering Fairmont District - 120lbs.

Springboro wrestler finishes with a 4-2 record. He lost to the 2nd & 3rd place finisher.

Hamilton wrestler also finishes 4-2. He lost to the 3rd place finisher AND head to head to the Springboro wrestler via a 12-4 major decision. However, because of the random bracket placement, the Hamilton wrestler advances to state, while the Springboro wrestler does not.

If you don't see the problem with that, I don't know what to tell you.
I doubt OHSAA is going to get involved , there are flaws in brackets across sports, individual/team.. I don;t think tennis uses a true play in match in their tournaments either.

What’s the point of this? Throw shade at the kid that you believe threw the match? If it didn’t affect your kid, what’s the point? That’s an individual decision a kid/coach makes, whether right or wrong. I’m sure most of us wouldn’t want our kid to do it but I’m not sure what the point of you trying to call him out is? Sounds like it worked itself out.

Details, please, sir
Coffman 215 med Ff first round. Went from 0% chance to qualify to 99%. Would have had #2 ranked wrestler in the state in go to match.
Got 4th and qualified. With the 2,3,4 ranked kids in your bracket at district, mayb just getting out isn’t a “coward move” as a senior. With the state draw he received he could definitely end up on the podium next weekend.

What’s the point of this? Throw shade at the kid that you believe threw the match? If it didn’t affect your kid, what’s the point? That’s an individual decision a kid/coach makes, whether right or wrong. I’m sure most of us wouldn’t want our kid to do it but I’m not sure what the point of you trying to call him out is? Sounds like it worked itself out.
No point, creating content and conversation like 90% of yappi posts. It wasn't a true post until the famous pessimistic crab ride complained though lol

Coffman 215 med Ff first round. Went from 0% chance to qualify to 99%. Would have had #2 ranked wrestler in the state in go to match.
Got 4th and qualified. With the 2,3,4 ranked kids in your bracket at district, mayb just getting out isn’t a “coward move” as a senior. With the state draw he received he could definitely end up on the podium next weekend.
You say what you want thats a chicken 💩 move all the way around.

If you intentionally forfeit, and it’s not a medical forfeit verified by the tournament Director and tournament doctor you are out of the tournament that was a point of emphasis at the officials meeting at our sectional
Correct, if you forfeit you are out. If you report to the table and medical DEFAULT you are not out. A default and a forfeit are different. With that said, a wrestler of coach can default for any reason per NFHS rules. What the NFHS clarified in their point of emphasis is that a medical forfeit does not count as a loss on if it is verified by the tournament director and on site doctor.

Best 4 kids made it out.

Exactly screw the ppl that don't like it boo who. Smart move.

I Love this, I don't care who's upset the kid seen a opportunity to punch his ticket to state as a Senior almost worked out. No different then bumping up a weight to increase your odds.
I didn't say anything negative, just a good story to talk about. I personally wouldn't allow it neither would our coaches, but their decision!

You say what you want thats a chicken 💩 move all the way around.
Yeah he should just be a man, take 5th, and end his career at districts even if he is better than the 4th place guy because if he doesn't abide by a random draw its a chicken :poop: move per message board warriors.

Instead, he won 4 straight matches at districts (three of which were tech/pins) and PROVED that he should have qualified by EARNING the spot. He now has a shot to place at state next weekend. What a coward. :rolleyes:

This is a conversation EVERY year and its crazy that people still don't understand that its an easy fix (true 4th). Until then, you'll continue to have keyboard warriors mad at coaches and wrestlers for making intelligent decisions to correct a flawed system.