#PACtion™ 2024

Kroger had a store in the building where Akron Children’s Hospital has a pediatrics facility, at the present time on Lincoln Way East. Before of that, Kroger had a store on State Avenue, NE. That building was torn down by the former Affinity Hospital.
How long ago was the store on State Ave? I used to call on Affinity...but it may have already been tore down

How long ago was the store on State Ave? I used to call on Affinity...but it may have already been tore down
The State Avenue store was there during the 1940’s, 1950’s, 1960’s. It was replaced by the a new Kroger grocery store in the early 1970’s. When the hospital was expanded, that building was purchased and was razed for additional parking.

The State Avenue store was there during the 1940’s, 1950’s, 1960’s. It was replaced by the a new Kroger grocery store in the early 1970’s.
No wonder I didn't know about it..lol..it was the late 80's when I started calling on Affinity...Affinity was one of the few hospitals that I called on that looked like it belonged in the neighborhood...made it harder to get to it thou....now have to ask Maxie...how long have you been in Massillon?

No wonder I didn't know about it..lol..it was the late 80's when I started calling on Affinity...Affinity was one of the few hospitals that I called on that looked like it belonged in the neighborhood...made it harder to get to it thou....now have to ask Maxie...how long have you been in Massillon?
A better question is what came first - Obie or @Maxie?

It’s close, Obie. LOL.
Are you saying you were there when the Kroger's on State Avenue was built in 40's and was still there to see the building tore down?:cool:
Santa Claus What GIF by Freeform

WaWa is expanding into the Cincinnati area. It could be coming north on 71 soon.....

Also if you're a Grocery Store Geek...Publix is building a store in the northern Kentucky suburbs.

That's another one to watch. Will the Kroger Empire let Publix thrive or will the battle lines be drawn? Because if they can survive Kroger they will reach the rest of Ohio.

---
I said a long time ago for the survival of each Buehlers and Acme Fresh Market need to merge.
Here in Roanoke, Virginia where I live, Publix is making a foray into Kroger country. Kroger and Food Lion are the two big ones here, but Publix has announced it's going to build two stores here in the next year.

On a side note, WaWa rocks. My job takes me all over the state of Virginia, and when I have to head east into WaWa territory, I always make a stop. Another east coast chain worth a mention is Royal Farms. Their fried chicken is crazy good!
chicken.PNG

Last edited:
Since 2005, yes. Prior to that it was Manchester vs. Coventry as a Week 10 conference game before the Comets’ departure.
What's funny is that Coventry used to be a mid-season game until the late 70's. It became the last game of the season around 1977 after Manchester left the Suburban for the AOL. For a number of years the game in the early to mid 70s the game was played in daylight on Saturday afternoons because it was so heated that the authorities feared trouble. Of course, after Coventry left the PAC for a second time Manchester took them off the schedule. Glad to see the rivalry has been renewed.

one of the questions PA Football News ask during their preseason interviews is Sheets vs WaWa. Predictably most of the Philly/Lancaster kids pick WaWa and the rest of the state picks Sheetz. But it is funny that very few of kids (and the population at large) likes both. Mostly everyone else is in one camp or the other. It really is a rivalry among the fans of ...Gas Stations.
When I lived in Baltimore for 20 years, it was that way between WaWa and Royal Farms stores. You were either Team WaWa or Team Royal Farms. The closest Sheetz was out in Hagerstown, and there were folks who would drive out there like it was some kind of pilgrimage.

It would be so much easier to analyze things if there was a legit local media that would release the list of candidates like they did in the old days. That used to be common practice.
Only thing I've been told is # of candidates is around 15, none of which internal, which I know is partially untrue because one of last year's assistants told me he put in for it.... unless they are just humoring him which is likely the case.

Only thing I've been told is # of candidates is around 15, none of which internal, which I know is partially untrue because one of last year's assistants told me he put in for it.... unless they are just humoring him which is likely the case.
# of candidates is around 15

Puny. Maybe the coaching world realizes what a sham hiring process was used the last time back in 2019. On top of the 11-37 win/loss record of the outgoing coach. There were over 30 candidates in 2019 who got snubbed by the less than serious coaching search of 2019.

none of which internal

Excellent news. New ideas are needed.

What's funny is that Coventry used to be a mid-season game until the late 70's. It became the last game of the season around 1977 after Manchester left the Suburban for the AOL. For a number of years the game in the early to mid 70s the game was played in daylight on Saturday afternoons because it was so heated that the authorities feared trouble. Of course, after Coventry left the PAC for a second time Manchester took them off the schedule. Glad to see the rivalry has been renewed.
I found out yesterday that Northwest and Manchester are scheduled to play week 10....you may already know this...Canton South has to find a week 10 game....that is difficult

Here in Roanoke, Virginia where I live, Publix is making a foray into Kroger country. Kroger and Food Lion are the two big ones here, but Publix has announced it's going to build two stores here in the next year.

On a side note, WaWa rocks. My job takes me all over the state of Virginia, and when I have to head east into WaWa territory, I always make a stop. Another east coast chain worth a mention is Royal Farms. Their fried chicken is crazy good!View attachment 54711
My daughter got here undergrad from Liberty U in Lynchburg VA I saw signs for that place but didn't pull in because I felt like I was cheating on sheetz 😂

The Albrecht family (Acme fresh market) gave their daughter in marriage to the McMullen boy (Kroger) in exchange for the Akron/Summit county rights.
Why has ACME not built a store in the lucrative locale known as Panther Country?

**Serious note: I think ACME missed out not going into Canal Fulton years ago and they could have had a nicer store than the downtrodden Canal Fulton Giant Eagle....and prior to that.....APPLE'S.

Maybe ACME doesn't like the sharks swimming along the banks of the Tuscarawas.

Why has ACME not built a store in the lucrative locale known as Panther Country?

**Serious note: I think ACME missed out not going into Canal Fulton years ago and they could have had a nicer store than the downtrodden Canal Fulton Giant Eagle....and prior to that.....APPLE'S.
ACME has their Coventry location, which is fast becoming South Akron, so Manchester would be a no go.

Panther Country needs their Sparkle Market back!!

I miss the old Ryan's IGA that was in Fulton! (boy, does that age me!)

Panther Country needs their Sparkle Market back!!

100%!

Imagine the retail potential, too, if Koach was allowed to sell his famed hot sauce and pickled peppers at the Manchester Sparkle Market?

Sparkle Markets still do exist in the Youngstown area. There's like 20 of them over there spread out across Mahoning, Trumbull, Columbiana County.

Fun times will abound tonight in Manchester land, as the old gym will be rockin' with the last regular season basketball game to be played in that old hole against Tuslaw. ALL of the celebrities will be there, including the 1974 state championship team (really, 50 years ago!?!) (RIP Big Mike also) and Coach Gene and all us other has-beens. There will be a tournament game there next week also.

Word on the new school building is that it is on schedule to open immediately after Labor Day, drywall going up on the first floor and duct work on the second floor now. The gym floor is scheduled for about a month from now. Final note, I heard back in November the stadium bleachers would be going in sometime February/March, so that should be getting started soon.

On a side note, WaWa rocks. My job takes me all over the state of Virginia, and when I have to head east into WaWa territory, I always make a stop. Another east coast chain worth a mention is Royal Farms. Their fried chicken is crazy good!View attachment 54711
Might get me cancelled on here, but Royal Farms chicken is LEGIT.

I'm being sarcastic and spitballing. His last two years have been ruff in Osnaburg. He got his job back in 2022 but has gone 6-14 since.

Overall, he's done a good job there.

I'd still make overtures to Doylestown but that's just me thinking out of the box. And that's rare in Tuscarawas Township.

I don't care what anyone thinks - aim higher than assistant coaches from Fairless unless you interview them and walk away thinking you just talked to Don Shula 1972 version.
Eh, that's a lame take. Hire the best coach for the job. If that person is an assistant from Fairless, then so be it. Prior head coaching experience should take a backseat to having an understanding of what it takes to have success going forward.

Prior head coaching experience should take a backseat to having an understanding of what it takes to have success going forward.

If Broc Dial is walking through that door, he's hired. Prior head coaching experience does matter and should be embraced. How has hiring no-experience head coaches worked out for Tuslaw? Very mixed results. Poor results over the last 5-7 years.

The best coach in school history was a head coach at Canton Glenwood before Tuslaw.

Why would an experienced coach want the job? Most don't but why did Gary Barnett go to Northwestern, or Jim Harbaugh to Stanford (back when it was a dead end job), or Coach Prime go to Colorado (their program stunk)?

Some coaches love the challenge of fixing a train wreck.

You can't land a great coach without asking first. You've got to ask if you want the sale.

You might get laughed at, ignored, or insulted. Or you might get a YES.

That's part of sales. Tuslaw needs to sell this job to candidates.

Part of Tuslaw's issue is they just don't think big or out of the box. They just accept things as it is and drop a program like Dalton while salivating over The Bleu Cup.

Last edited:
Smoove need to be on any search committee. Smoove need to have the necessary input that Smoove enjoyifies with the Concessionary CHickies, lots of input!! Smoove not so certain that one wants to hire from within if the team stunk like a skunk. Might need some new blood to shake the tree a bit. Smoove been a part of some search committees that just did not care, and THAT ain't right!Other times it had to be someone within the school district already hired in, THAT ain't right neither. Get the BEST, like Smoove be! Homnestified, Humblified, and always spreadin' the word of love and peace.
Smoove out!

Fun times will abound tonight in Manchester land, as the old gym will be rockin' with the last regular season basketball game to be played in that old hole against Tuslaw. ALL of the celebrities will be there, including the 1974 state championship team (really, 50 years ago!?!) (RIP Big Mike also) and Coach Gene and all us other has-beens. There will be a tournament game there next week also.

Word on the new school building is that it is on schedule to open immediately after Labor Day, drywall going up on the first floor and duct work on the second floor now. The gym floor is scheduled for about a month from now. Final note, I heard back in November the stadium bleachers would be going in sometime February/March, so that should be getting started soon.
I'm coming down for the tournament game as my son plays for the team (Keystone) the Panthers play against. Oddly enough, my son plays the game before this on his mother's old court (Wellington), then my old court (Manchester) the next week.