2024 WBL talk

the_beezer

Winter is here and a good time to keep some WBL talk going through some cold nights. What is everyone's opinion on next season what teams to look out for does Wapak make it 6 in a row or this the year St Mary's wins it.

Sounds like it's already over. If you're not in Auglaize County you don't matter, so we may as well not play the season.

Celina has some big shoes to fill with the graduation of the Gabes brothers and a strong line. QB Morris returns, along with RB Lutz, a couple linemen do return as well. I would expect 6-4 or 7-3, which is a typical Celina record, minus the last couple years.

Wapak has QB 2Wr and a college prospect TE 2 offensive linemen and lose knous at running back but a few good replacements coming up on the defense all defensive backs are back 1 LB and a few defensive linemen but lose some huge players on defense but Truesdale always has a good defense

Wapak has QB 2Wr and a college prospect TE 2 offensive linemen and lose knous at running back but a few good replacements coming up on the defense all defensive backs are back 1 LB and a few defensive linemen but lose some huge players on defense but Truesdale always has a good defense
Why don’t they re-up with Marion Local?

What about the kicker? Is he returning?

Defiance's senior class is loaded! This should be the best team they have had since 2003. The RB Castillo and CB Lopez are the big shoes to fill, but both were injured last year so the team already saw how it was to play without them. Hopefully they avoid the injury bug because I truly expect them to go 10-0 and win the league! 🤞that TCC goes back to D2. Defiance should have a good shot to go to State if that happens.

Defiance's senior class is loaded! This should be the best team they have had since 2003. The RB Castillo and CB Lopez are the big shoes to fill, but both were injured last year so the team already saw how it was to play without them. Hopefully they avoid the injury bug because I truly expect them to go 10-0 and win the league! 🤞that TCC goes back to D2. Defiance should have a good shot to go to State if that happens.
I hope they can fix some of the inconsistencies they had in 2023. They started off strong with a healthy Castillo, but towards the end they did not seem to have it, even with Castillo back. Now the TCC game they seemed to play well like they did early on. I believe the division assignments are for one more year and then they will be refigured, so region 10 still has TCC.

Why don’t they re-up with Marion Local?
Probably because they've already played three times and are 0-3 against the Flyers. Wapak's probably tired of losing their week one game. They're also under no obligation to continue the series. It's common with football scheduling to do a home-and-home or limited series and then move on.

I hope they can fix some of the inconsistencies they had in 2023. They started off strong with a healthy Castillo, but towards the end they did not seem to have it, even with Castillo back. Now the TCC game they seemed to play well like they did early on. I believe the division assignments are for one more year and then they will be refigured, so region 10 still has TCC.

Enrollment is refigured this year, and CB changes things every year.

Defiance HAS to figure out how to contain the QB run, and needs a reliable kicker for the entire season. If they can get those there's no reason they won't be right there in the league title race and be a real threat in region 10.

What does Celina have coming back? We can't totally forget the league co-champs and Region 12 champions.

My early rankings

1 Wapak
2 Defiance
3 St. Marys
4 Celina (can easily change as I learn more about them)
5 VW
6 Bath
7 Elida
8 OG
9 Kenton
10 Shawnee

Defiance HAS to figure out how to contain the QB run, and needs a reliable kicker for the entire season. If they can get those there's no reason they won't be right there in the league title race and be a real threat in region 10.
This was maybe one of my favorite early storylines this past season. Defiance was just on fire with their 2-pt conversion attempts. It was incredible. I'm not sure where they finished with their 2-pt conversion rate, but agreed probably a lot less stressful to just get a reliable kicker.

What does Celina have coming back? We can't totally forget the league co-champs and Region 12 champions.
We lose a lot of offensive production with Braylon Gabes graduating, but return our QB Morris and also RB Lutz. We have a couple holes on the line to fill with Murlin and Ackley at LB graduating. We will also need a new kicker since Greber is graduating. I have been rewatching film and we showed some good things with that Junior class playing key positions throughout the year. I would suspect anywhere from 6-4 to 8-2. Toss up game will be week 1 against Columbus South as I don’t know much about them yet besides they were 4-7 last year with a few very close losses. I would put us 3rd in the league behind Wapak and St Marys.

Probably because they've already played three times and are 0-3 against the Flyers. Wapak's probably tired of losing their week one game. They're also under no obligation to continue the series. It's common with football scheduling to do a home-and-home or limited series and then move on.
That’s fair. I think it’s short-sighted on Wapak’s part, but they didn’t ask me 😬

We lose a lot of offensive production with Braylon Gabes graduating, but return our QB Morris and also RB Lutz. We have a couple holes on the line to fill with Murlin and Ackley at LB graduating. We will also need a new kicker since Greber is graduating. I have been rewatching film and we showed some good things with that Junior class playing key positions throughout the year. I would suspect anywhere from 6-4 to 8-2. Toss up game will be week 1 against Columbus South as I don’t know much about them yet besides they were 4-7 last year with a few very close losses. I would put us 3rd in the league behind Wapak and St Marys.
Ackley was a great player but he was hurt a lot throughout the season and we did solid still. I’m most concerned about Murlin and Gabes being gone, but we do still have a good amount of experienced players coming back next year. Like you said, some of the ones that stick out are Morris and Lutz coming back, plus the other rb, Bertke, and we still have dominant forces on the line coming back, including Chilcoat and Elson. Also got some good sophomores coming up too. I do some video work for the team, so Ive gotten to see a lot of the younger ones in the background who are coming up. That’s why Ive been confident in saying since last year that Celina was gonna have some solid teams for the next 4 years at least. Better than what Celinas used to. Especially with the coaching system we’ve got now. But I’m thinking 8-2 next year. I’m thinking St Marys is gonna be really really good, I got them winning the league, Wapak second, and either Celina or Defiance for third.

Last edited:
Ackley was a great player but he was hurt a lot throughout the season and we did solid still. I’m most concerned about Murlin and Gabes being gone, but we do still have a good amount of experienced players coming back next year. Like you said, some of the ones that stick out are Morris and Lutz coming back, plus the other rb, Bertke, and we still have dominant forces on the line coming back, including Chilcoat and Elson. Also got some good sophomores coming up too. I do some video work for the team, so Ive gotten to see a lot of the younger ones in the background who are coming up. That’s why Ive been confident in saying since last year that Celina was gonna have some solid teams for the next 4 years at least. Better than what Celinas used to. Especially with the coaching system we’ve got now. But I’m thinking 8-2 next year. I’m thinking St Marys is gonna be really really good, I got them winning the league, Wapak second, and either Celina or Defiance for third.
St Marys will have 2 studs back at running back but a new QB who is very undersized if they get behind and teams start crowding the box can they pass. Wapak has a couple of very young but talented running backs coming up in Bishop and Longsworth who could be a stud plus a 3 year starter at QB with 3 of his top Recievers coming back.

Defiance's only big losses are Castillo and Antonio Lopez, and both were injured in 2023 so their replacements already got playing time in key games. From a team who honestly, should have been 9-1 in the regular season and played Central Catholic tougher than anyone on their schedule other than Warren DeLaSalle.

Defiance's only big losses are Castillo and Antonio Lopez, and both were injured in 2023 so their replacements already got playing time in key games. From a team who honestly, should have been 9-1 in the regular season and played Central Catholic tougher than anyone on their schedule other than Warren DeLaSalle.
So are you claiming biggest moral victory of 2023 by hanging with TCC? You are forgetting that Defiance lost to Elida by 1, beat Bath by 1, and beat OG by 4, all in the 2nd half of the season, not to mention a 17-0 loss to Celina, also at the end of the season. Now if Defiance won those games easily and played Celina competitive, I would say Defiance should be decent next year but that was not the case. Just seems Defiance starts off strong and runs out of steam at the end.

Last edited:
St Marys will have 2 studs back at running back but a new QB who is very undersized if they get behind and teams start crowding the box can they pass. Wapak has a couple of very young but talented running backs coming up in Bishop and Longsworth who could be a stud plus a 3 year starter at QB with 3 of his top Recievers coming back.
Do you think Wapak’s defense will be as good as it has been these last couple years?

Don't forget losing Rodenberger. Probably their best defensive player and a good tight end.