Western Buckeye League

ctown14

It is OG’s to lose this year. St Marys will be second, then I do not know who will come after. It was an unimpressive opening weekend for the league except for St Marys game on Saturday night against St Francis deSales. As competitive as football was, I am afraid several schools will be in for a long season. Here is my selection of the league standings. Again, after 1 and 2, it is a complete toss up.

1. OG
2. St Marys
3. Defiance
4. Wapak
5. Celina
6. Shawnee
7. Elida
8. Van Wert
9. Bath
10. Kenton

Last edited:

Did you know that Defiance lost its top 6 players from last year, plus two other seniors? Almost, if not all major stats lost over 90% of production. The JV team won like 14 or 15 games last year I think and they have some nice pieces, but I expect no quality depth and there is a lot of inexperience. My hope before the season was that they could finish with a winning record but they're 0-2 already. Hopefully a lot of other WBL teams lost a lot as well. Did St. Marys lose much besides Parks? I know Angstmann and Turner are great players to build around. Looks like Van Wert won't be even close to as good as last year either. I expect Shawnee to still have some good players. Celina might take a step up, I have no clue what Wapak's expectations are.

Did you know that Defiance lost its top 6 players from last year, plus two other seniors? Almost, if not all major stats lost over 90% of production. The JV team won like 14 or 15 games last year I think and they have some nice pieces, but I expect no quality depth and there is a lot of inexperience. My hope before the season was that they could finish with a winning record but they're 0-2 already. Hopefully a lot of other WBL teams lost a lot as well. Did St. Marys lose much besides Parks? I know Angstmann and Turner are great players to build around. Looks like Van Wert won't be even close to as good as last year either. I expect Shawnee to still have some good players. Celina might take a step up, I have no clue what Wapak's expectations are.
The Riders are not very deep. They will struggle to find production from their bench if they get into foul trouble. With that being said, they have a great duo in Angstman and Turner. Their guards are not bad either. You might see the 6'7 Angstman handle the point guard position in certain sets or on the fast break. He has improved his ball-handling from last year.

Will try to update each Wednesday the records of each team. After the first weekend plus any Monday or Tuesday games, the results are as follows.

There has been no league games, so I am only putting overall record at this time. The Elida Tip-Off does not count as league games for Bath, Elida, or Shawnee.

Wapak 2-0
OG 1-0
Elida 1-1
Kenton 1-1
Shawnee 1-1
St Marys 1-1
Bath 0-2
Defiance 0-2
Van Wert 0-2
Celina 0-0* first game will be 12/15

OG will go 9-0 in WBL barring any season ending injury to Big2.
Next year will be very interesting however. Titans come down to pre Niekamp days …

OG will go 9-0 in WBL barring any season ending injury to Big2.
Next year will be very interesting however. Titans come down to pre Niekamp days …

Really ????...
finally not any great younger classes coming up since the mid 1970s ??

heck of a defensive effort by Bluffton tonight on OG, they'll be a team to be reckoned with this year.

Results as of 12/11, there are no Monday or Tuesday games this week. Defiance, Elida, and OG both picked up 2 wins this weekend. Conference games start on 12/15, Celina’s first game will be on 12/15.

OG 3-0
Elida 3-1
St Marys 2-1
Wapak 2-1
Defiance 2-2
Kenton 2-2
Shawnee 2-2
Bath 0-3
Van Wert 0-4
Celina 0-0

Is Celina starting with league play or will it get some non-league games in first?
Starting with league play. The games rescheduled included Versailles and Bellefontaine on December 1st and 2nd so it was a no go all around. New Bremen and LCC were last weekend but only New Bremen was rescheduled I believe.

Starting with league play. The games rescheduled included Versailles and Bellefontaine on December 1st and 2nd so it was a no go all around. New Bremen and LCC were last weekend but only New Bremen was rescheduled I believe.

Here is the updated schedule for Celina. Lima CC was rescheduled for 1/23/24.

1702351006126.png

Hey, the Shelby fan is back in the WBL discourse with a question.

Shelby is playing against OG in the Coach Q Classic in Lima on Saturday. I know some folks who can't make the game, and I'm wondering if that event has put any of the games on stream in past years?

Either way, thanks for the help.

Shelby is playing against OG in the Coach Q Classic in Lima on Saturday. I know some folks who can't make the game, and I'm wondering if that event has put any of the games on stream in past years?

It does not appear that Lima Senior uses NFHS to stream. WOSN out of Lima may broadcast those games, maybe live, maybe not. You can buy a monthly pass to WOSN for like $8.99 per month, but the games are not on demand, you have to look at their broadcast schedule and then tune in on your phone or smart tv. Only problem is they don’t time their programs up accordingly so the broadcast schedule could say the game starts at 2:00 pm, but it could be half over by then. As the classic gets closer, you could check the Facebook page as they will occasionally update it.

WOSN use to be a top notch high school sports broadcast channel, it’s only a fraction now of what it was.

I checked on YouTube and it appears there is a page called Authenticated Sports TV that has partial Lima Senior games/highlights and its updated frequently.

WOSN use to be a top notch high school sports broadcast channel, it’s only a fraction now of what it was.
First, thanks for the info. Very appreciated.

I recall WOSN being phenomenal even 10-15 years ago. I'd occasionally drop in to their YouTube channel to check out certain WBL teams that were headed towards our Mansfield/Sandusky area teams, and the highlights/replays/coverage was as you said, top notch.

We are seeing a bit of that over here with an upstart, YouTube/Facebook centric operation, OH Report. At their genesis (around 2020), those guys made our local Mansfield TV station, WMFD, look like chumps based on the volume and variety of teams/sports that were covered by the OH Report. The quality of a certain duo of broadcasters was exceptional when they were calling a game. However, it seems as though WMFD stepped up their game considerably, including signing exclusive broadcasting rights to specific teams on given nights. I think WMFD has picked up a lot of slack, but their production can be a bit meh at times. You'll hear guys coughing/clearing their throats repeatedly. Another guy who has been on the Shelby games quite a bit has never pronounced our football coach's name correct, gets terminology wrong, and was referring to Van Wert as being from the Western Buckeye "Conference" during the Shelby vs VW game. You get what you pay for, and their broadcasts are always free in the midst of a tenfold increase in games broadcasted. Can't really complain, this level of entertainment just doesn't bring in the dollars needed for a person like me to expect brilliance. But...it's Rob Ma-HAY-KNEE as the Shelby coach. Not Ma-HEE-KNEE, as I heard consistently for 5-6 games this year. That wears on a viewer.

12/15 League Scores

Celina 65 Van Wert 61
OG 57 Wapak 21
Shawnee 70 Bath 46
St Marys 62 Defiance 45
Elida 59 Kenton 49

Celina had a big lead and Van Wert came back to within striking distance, but Celina held off the Cougars.
Defiance had a a great start against St. Marys, then SM dominated the middle two quarters before Defiance made it a bit more respectable at the end.
I think I saw Kenton led Elida in the mid-portion but the Bulldogs came to win comfortably, it appears.
Anyone have any thoughts on the games?

Celina had a big lead and Van Wert came back to within striking distance, but Celina held off the Cougars.
Defiance had a a great start against St. Marys, then SM dominated the middle two quarters before Defiance made it a bit more respectable at the end.
I think I saw Kenton led Elida in the mid-portion but the Bulldogs came to win comfortably, it appears.
Anyone have any thoughts on the games?
Celina’s lead was never in doubt, VW made a 3 at the buzzer to make it a 4 point win. I liked Celina’s offensive tempo in three of the quarters. It was their highest point total since the 2018/2019 season and first time over 60 in almost 2 years. First game of the season and I liked what I saw. The Dogs have 6 more games before New Years, I’m saying 5-2 going into 2024.

Kenton was leading a lot of the game, albeit by 4-6, but lost the lead.

Shawnee and Bath were close at one point, Shawnee pulled away.

Celina’s lead was never in doubt, VW made a 3 at the buzzer to make it a 4 point win. I liked Celina’s offensive tempo in three of the quarters. It was their highest point total since the 2018/2019 season and first time over 60 in almost 2 years. First game of the season and I liked what I saw. The Dogs have 6 more games before New Years, I’m saying 5-2 going into 2024.
That is one of the saddest things I've ever heard :)

12/16 Non-League Games

Wapak 58 Rossford 32
OG 67 Shelby 63
Marion Local 49 Celina 32
Defiance 39 Bryan 28
Kenton 53 Riverdale 51
Shawnee 57 USV 52
Van Wert 55 Kalida 47

VW picks up first win of the season. Celina gets dominated in the post position against ML.

I will post standings and records later this week. With the Holiday season upon us, there will be a lot of midweek games coming!

Heck of a battle between OG and Shelby on Saturday night, had a lot of fun calling that one.......Bruskotter with 23 at the half and 36 in the game had to be pretty much a one man show at times for Shelby while White ended with 30 for OG and moved to #9 all-time in scoring in PC History.

Heck of a battle between OG and Shelby on Saturday night, had a lot of fun calling that one.......Bruskotter with 23 at the half and 36 in the game had to be pretty much a one man show at times for Shelby while White ended with 30 for OG and moved to #9 all-time in scoring in PC History.
Do you know where I could find the list for both OG and Putnam County for all time scorers?

Thanks.

How many points does Colin White have currently?
Not sure of the exact number but he just passed Noah Bramlage (1,439) early in the game on Saturday night. He finished with 30 so somewhere around 1,460 at this point. He's 3rd on OG all time list....and 9th in the county.

Records so far.

OG 5-0 (1-0)
St Marys 3-1 (1-0)
Shawnee 5-2 (1-0)
Elida 4-1 (1-0)
Celina 1-2 (1-0)
Wapak 4-2 (0-1)
Defiance 3-3 (0-1)
Kenton 3-3 (0-1)
VW 1-5 (0-1)
Bath 0-5 (0-1)

Next league matchup is scheduled for 1/5.