Hudson vs. Walsh at Ravenna

clarkgriswold

3rd seeded Hudson faces 2nd seeded Walsh at Ravenna Friday night in the Region 5 semi-final. Hudson was 8-2 in the regular season (losing to Wadsworth and Cleveland Heights) and have playoff wins over Benedictine and Warren Harding. Walsh was 9-1 with a pounding by Hoban and have beaten Firestone and Fitch in the post-season.

Walsh may still have nightmares from losing as the 1 seed to Cortland Lakeview at Ravenna in 2007.

Last edited:

But that was before the Smurf Turf was installed. That makes all the difference. LOL.

Having attended a few games there since 2013 - you really don't get the full effect of the turf until the sun is completely down, dusk has yielded to nighttime, and the stadium lights come up to full capacity.

That's when you see how blue that turf truly is.

Last year I thought this game would be competitive but Hudson kept Walsh out of the game for most of the night.

Hudson's been able to find ways to win close games in the postseason this year. I think Walsh is a much better team than last year and Hudson is slightly not as good as they were last year.

Rooting for Hudson but wouldn't be surprised to see Walsh take this one.

Last year, Hudson came in as the 3 seed while Walsh came in as the 6th seed. Many expected it to be a tight game but Hudson really took Walsh to the woodshed pummeling them 34-7.

Last year, Hudson came in as the 3 seed while Walsh came in as the 6th seed. Many expected it to be a tight game but Hudson really took Walsh to the woodshed pummeling them 34-7.

Wow. Walsh can sure look great and horrible at times yes? Esp. on offense. They put 40-50-60 almost every week and then 7. Weird.

One of my favorite match ups of Round 3 as I'm a bit of a fan of both teams (I root for pretty much all of the Suburban League and Summit country teams except Hoban). I saw some of the Hudson vs WGH game on the Hudson TV website. Hudson defense is solid. A little prone to a gaffe here and there though. They had no problem getting to the Harding QB or even hitting the RB in the backfield. They did have trouble bringing them down once they got there though. They'll have that same problem with Walsh's RB based on what I've seen of him, but I don't believe they'll have trouble bringing the Walsh QB down if they get to him but he is very mobile.

IMO, Hudson should focus on containing Sherman and keeping the QB in the pocket where he will have limited vision over some of Hudson's much taller defenders (the Nordonia QB struggled a bit with that and I believe he is bigger than the kid at Walsh). I'm not sure how big the Hudson front 7 are, but a few DL and those LB's all look huge with long arms. On offense, they'll need to get the running game going behind the stud LT. If I recall last year's game correctly, Walsh had no one on defense that could handle getting blocked by the Hudson LT. Hudson's O-Line in general looks bigger than Walsh's d-line.

Walsh needs to run misdirection and sprint out passes, keep the Hudson defense guessing. Getting the QB out of the pocket where he can run or pass will be key. And on defense, load up the box with 9, blitz a ton and dare Hudson to pass the ball.

Depth will be a key too. I think both teams have kids playing both ways. Could end up being a game of attrition.

Should be a good one. I may go if the weather stays dry. Look for the cool guy in the Ted Nugent T-shirt. :)

Where Hudson is good they’re good, they just don’t have enough of it. Hudson has a depth problem for the 1st time in 15 years. It’s caused problems this season, injuries included. Kudos to the staff and kids on the field, they’re resilient. Gough has become excellent at in-game management. Decent chance they’ll keep it within reach. It’s going to be a good and difficult challenge.

I've seen them both, Hudson vs. NoRo and Walsh vs. Padua. Both teams failed to "cover" against vastly outgunned and inferior opponents but Walsh actually should've lost the one I saw. Walsh strikes me as a team not as battle-tested as Hudson. Hudson 26, Walsh 13.

I've got Hudson on the Summit County pick 'em thread but I could see this one going either way. I'm rooting for Hudson, though. May the best team win.

3rd seeded Hudson faces 2nd seeded Walsh at Ravenna Friday night in the Region 5 semi-final. Hudson was 8-2 in the regular season (losing to Wadsworth and Cleveland Heights) and have playoff wins over Benedictine and Warren Harding. Walsh was 9-1 with a pounding by Hoban and have beaten Firestone and Fitch in the post-season.

Walsh may still have nightmares from losing as the 1 seed to Cortland Lakeview at Ravenna in 2007.
That was low, even for a Irish fan?

I take it Hudson’s RB is out for the season? I think he got hurt in the first half of the Cleveland Heights game when he had over 100 yards. I’m not sure if he ever came back but I know he hasn’t played the last few games.

I take it Hudson’s RB is out for the season? I think he got hurt in the first half of the Cleveland Heights game when he had over 100 yards. I’m not sure if he ever came back but I know he hasn’t played the last few games.
He got hurt again in the nordonia game.He hurt his shoulder,hudson will lose by 14.Should never beaten nordonia,.nordonia rb got hurt, in that game.

Would be interesting to know how badly Walsh players/coaches want a rematch with Hoban or not. That first one had to be traumatic, no?

May the best team win, is all I got.

Notice who brings Massillon into the discussion. :rolleyes:

As for the game: Walsh played one good team this year and got curb-stomped. No reason to think they're indisputably better than Hudson, and absolutely no reason to think that the second time would be the charm in a rematch with Hoban (if they get that far).

This is the HS version of the Cheaters up north v Notre Dame. I'm just sad someone has to win.

Notice who brings Massillon into the discussion. :rolleyes:

As for the game: Walsh played one good team this year and got curb-stomped. No reason to think they're indisputably better than Hudson, and absolutely no reason to think that the second time would be the charm in a rematch with Hoban (if they get that far).
The winner of this game will get curb stomped by Hoban. Hudson schemes well and makes great in-game adjustments. It will not matter next week.