Lack of crowd cause of Ticket Price?

Sitting here at my local high school teams game (Mogadore) for a second round playoff game and I am completely unimpressed with the crowd. Is it lacking everywhere else besides teams that are making unusual runs I'd imagine? Is it the cost of the tickets? Just curious to what others are experiencing and thinking.

Indifference. These are essentially non-competitive games against opponents no one cares about.
I dont completely disagree. In years past in the month of November to have it be 55 degrees and dry in November for any playoff game, especially being the that we are back to the normal 8 teams left in each region is where I think that statement is wrong. First round games at Mogadore in the past were generally pretty packed.

JMO it's a lack of interest in the younger and middle age groups. To many other things to do and just like myself tonight I moved to Florida and following games on social media. Here's the bad part the last two older generations are dieing off like my parents or to old to go. Just think how bad it will be in a decade or so.

JMO it's a lack of interest in the younger and middle age groups. To many other things to do and just like myself tonight I moved to Florida and following games on social media. Here's the bad part the last two older generations are dieing off like my parents or to old to go. Just think how bad it will be in a decade or so.

They'll probably try to make tickets $25 per person then....and there will be dozens of fans at these early round blowouts (maybe single digit fans for the 2-8 teams and teams with no real fan support)

I attended portions of 2 games tonight in region 2 and region 16. I would suggest attendance was mediocre.

Indifference. These are essentially non-competitive games against opponents no one cares about.
Basically this. Making the playoffs was a feat before, and it pumped up the community to come out for the playoff game. Now you're playing a game where making the playoffs isn't impressive at all.

There's nothing to energize the fanbase. To them, this is now expected. And the first round matchups are going to be bad. The one thing that could liven them up a bit if the OHSAA went to 8 regions instead of 4 and kept them a bit more compact so you're playing other schools you might already know and have some semblance of a rivalry with.

West Virginia Ticket prices are $6.00
Western Pennsylvania:

District 10 is $8.

District 7 (aka the WPIAL), is $5 for students and $7 for adults.

District 10 is doing online only. District 7 is selling tickets online and at the gate.

D10 game I went to tonight in Greenville (3A game between Hickory and General McLane had a decent small crowd of maybe 800-1000 tops). Hard to gauge, as the Hickory side is dwarfed by the Greenville home stands and they were bunched together right in front of the pressbox area moreso than elsewhere. GM had a decent crowd on the much smaller visitor side. A good hundred-plus were standing around the open endzone or sidelines.

West Virginia Ticket prices are $6.00
Also, just looked it up. In NY, The Section VI playoffs are $7 online. Which is funny, because the team doesn't charge admission for regular season games.

And, guess what, no service fees. The total cost is just $7. They're using GoFan.

I think ticket prices are one of the reasons. Bad matchups as stated above along with there isn't a thrill of making the playoffs like there was back when only 4 or 8 per region made it. Traveling a long way with the gas prices of today goes into the equation along with food costs. Eating at the concession stand isn't what it once was.

Ours might be an anomaly. but a rematch against bitter rival Poland sure brought out Struthers fans tonight.

1699076382043.png

1699076410357.png

Western Pennsylvania:

District 10 is $8.

District 7 (aka the WPIAL), is $5 for students and $7 for adults.

District 10 is doing online only. District 7 is selling tickets online and at the gate.

D10 game I went to tonight in Greenville (3A game between Hickory and General McLane had a decent small crowd of maybe 800-1000 tops). Hard to gauge, as the Hickory side is dwarfed by the Greenville home stands and they were bunched together right in front of the pressbox area moreso than elsewhere. GM had a decent crowd on the much smaller visitor side. A good hundred-plus were standing around the open endzone or sidelines.
Wow! General McLane probably would be D3 in Ohio. Kind of surprising the folks in Edinboro barely showed. I’m sure if Erie McDowell had a good crowd that’s if they’re still in the playoffs. Good history there.

Wow! General McLane probably would be D3 in Ohio. Kind of surprising the folks in Edinboro barely showed. I’m sure if Erie McDowell had a good crowd that’s if they’re still in the playoffs. Good history there.
McDowell and Erie High played at Edinboro University tonight.

General McLane brought a decent crowd almost an hour to Greenville. Hickory was the one lacking. I think with so many Mercer County teams all playing at the same time, took away a bit from the overlap of fans going to other games as well.

McDowell and Erie High played at Edinboro University tonight.

General McLane brought a decent crowd almost an hour to Greenville. Hickory was the one lacking. I think with so many Mercer County teams all playing at the same time, took away a bit from the overlap of fans going to other games as well.
Yeah my bad. I misread your post. Did you get a final on the McDowell and Erie game? Also it’s been years since I’ve seen Greenville’s stadium. The Home stands are at least 4 or 5 times that if the visitors.

Yeah my bad. I misread your post. Did you get a final on the McDowell and Erie game? Also it’s been years since I’ve seen Greenville’s stadium. The Home stands are at least 4 or 5 times that if the visitors.
Yeah. Total capacity at Stewart Field now named Snyder-Stone Stadium is 4500. Probably 4000 of that is the home side.

McDowell won 58-20 over Erie.

This is painting a really broad brush, but it has simply become easier to come up with reasons not to go. And some of those reasons have been already been mentioned. It's not as big of a deal to go to a game on a Friday night as it once was.

I struggle with thinking that the ticket prices are keeping people home. I just think interest is down - everywhere. Would more of the interested people attend games if the price point was lower? Maybe…but I don’t think it would result in a visually noticeable uptick in attendance. I think there are just less people filing into stadiums that are too big and built for a different era of interest and attendance.

Streaming has a lot to do with it too. It’s just easy to stay home instead of paying for tickets, gas, and food and possibly if there is bad weather. Plus you can watch multiple games on each device you own.

I still enjoy going but several people use this route

Attendance at pretty much every high school sporting event is down. Even the annually super successful teams don't pack the stands like they used to. There are lots of reasons: more entertainment options is one of them.

I struggle with thinking that the ticket prices are keeping people home. I just think interest is down - everywhere. Would more of the interested people attend games if the price point was lower? Maybe…but I don’t think it would result in a visually noticeable uptick in attendance. I think there are just less people filing into stadiums that are too big and built for a different era of interest and attendance.
What compounds this issue, too, is the games are all on Friday now.

My week 11 game in previous seasons would’ve been a Saturday game. Road team had a 90 minute drive one-way. Bunch of schools in closer proximity to the road team playing on the same night and way closer to home. Difficulty with all games on a Friday in these early stages of the playoffs as it relates to general attendance, IMO, is when you have large extended families that have eggs in multiple baskets on the same night. Kids in the same generation scattered across different sites on the same night, grandparents who have several sets of grandkids wearing different uniforms on Friday night. Can’t be at multiple places at once.

Streaming has a lot to do with it too. It’s just easy to stay home instead of paying for tickets, gas, and food and possibly if there is bad weather. Plus you can watch multiple games on each device you own.

I still enjoy going but several people use this route
I thought about going to the Lake Catholic vs. Niles game in Mentor. (I live in Lake County, and I am a Trumbull County native. So I am familiar with both schools.)

But I ended up deciding to stay at home and watch St. Ignatius at Canton McKinley on Spectrum on TV. And then I had the Lake Catholic vs. Niles game streaming on YouTube on my iPad.

Was much easier for me to stay at home and do that versus travelling to a game.

So for me, live TV and streaming has definitely had an impact on my attendance at local high school football games.

Sitting here at my local high school teams game (Mogadore) for a second round playoff game and I am completely unimpressed with the crowd. Is it lacking everywhere else besides teams that are making unusual runs I'd imagine? Is it the cost of the tickets? Just curious to what others are experiencing and thinking.
Not a big crowd at kenston/Vasj, even on the home side

Ticket prices are part of it, but for me, it is burnout. I am a recovering football addict that lived and died by how the Browns, Buckeyes and local teams did. But I grew up in the age of four teams per region and four divisions. As a kid, the biggest games I attended were Avon Lake vs Bay and Elyria Catholic vs Lorain Catholic. Those games were always intense...well, as time went on some of the games became lopsided, but the events themselves were intense. The games were intense because everyone at the game watched every play and then immediately reacted to it with the people around them. It was important to win, because we knew the opponents and we knew that bragging rights were important. It was great to make the playoffs, but if we did and lost to a team from four counties away, it didn't really matter!

I no longer watch the NFL, college and I'm drifting away from high school as well. There's just too much meaningless football being played and I realized that the more football I consumed, the less I actually cared about the game. My daughter is in her final season in marching band. I'll be at the games until her team is out, but the overall lack of enthusiasm from the crowds and communities is noticeable. I don't know if anyone else is feeling this way, but there were a number of us (parents) who rolled our eyes just a little when we realized there was going to be another week of football.

Attendance at pretty much every high school sporting event is down. Even the annually super successful teams don't pack the stands like they used to. There are lots of reasons: more entertainment options is one of them.

Nailed it. Waaay more options for your limited free time and dollars than even ten years ago.

Social media plays a role, too. Before MySpace/Facebook/Tik Tok, one needed to get out of the house to see your friends. Sport events were the natural gathering place, even for adults - many, many of those attending ball games were there for social reasons.