Ohio State Football 2023

Good win with erratic offense and qb play.

I would not trust mccord.
Kyke mccord has no pocket presence.He not a championship winning qb.

Hey Moron -

McCord was 23-35 for 286 yards, 1 TD and ZERO picks. Against the #1 defense in the country. No QB will be perfect. But you always b*tched about CJ too, and he was only the #2 pick in the draft.

You just love to whine and B*tch. I'm guessing you do the same at the high school games at whatever podunk HS wears that stupid green "N" helmet. you probably played in HS and you think you know something. news flash. You don't.

Is the offense great? Not yet. We definitely miss Henderson and Egbuka. The O-line needs to be better. Honestly I think without Henderson I would play Dallan Hayden. He has better balance and agility than Williams and Trayanum. Williams and Trayanum are good if there is a gap and run with speed and power. They lack the agility / direction change ability.

Having said that about the offense, I think this is the most complete team we've had in a few years. The defense is tremendous, and the offense is above average. Not going to score 40-50 each week, but when healthy the offense is dangerous and could get 30-40. We find out in Ann Arbor for sure....

Next up for the Buckeyes is a road trip to Camp Randall to face the 5-2 Badgers who are in first place in the Big 10 West.

Are the Bucks due a let down after beating Penn State?

Will the combination of Halloween and the night game atmosphere at Camp Randall be an obstacle.

Will former Buckeye Luke Fickell have some secret sauce and extra motivation when he faces his former team?

Thoughts?

The Bucks had two very key pieces to their offense missing. Egbuka is an elite receiver and changes the way a defense schemes. Henderson, while made of glass, still can take to the house at any time. A converted LB and a fullback are very poor replacements for him. A special teams ace and a true freshman are pretty poor replacements for Egbuka. I think with those two healthy they would have throttled PSU. Oh well, a win is a win and they have a tough road game next week
Kyle forgot how to complete a slant there for a while in the first half. Lol.

I still like @utsherman 's theory that Day is making the offense clunky by being stubborn about running the ball first instead of passing, then running - which better suits what they are good at. He doesn't even have to go all the way with that. Just stop running into loaded boxes and run blitzes on 1st and 10 and any down and short. FWIW

Day changed the offensive approach. Pass first and then run. That is the best playbook for this offense. Imo. The freshman wide receiver makes this team deadly in the passing game. McCord just needs to be consistent. The wide receivers need to catch all passes. Harrison included, but the ankle is impacting Maserati Marv.

The defense was exceptional yesterday. First contact and the Penn State player went down or was driven backwards. Open field tackling was text book.

My negatives
Kick the damn field goal.
This one really got to me. Kick the ball out of the end zone on kick offs. Not a hard decision for where the game was at.

Kyle forgot how to complete a slant there for a while in the first half. Lol.

I still like @utsherman 's theory that Day is making the offense clunky by being stubborn about running the ball first instead of passing, then running - which better suits what they are good at. He doesn't even have to go all the way with that. Just stop running into loaded boxes and run blitzes on 1st and 10 and any down and short. FWIW
And to add to the clunkiness, IMO, he's using the wrong backs to do the right things. I'm clearly no coach, so this is just my opinion. Lol. But Hayden seems to hit those vertical gaps so much better than the other RB's. Every time he's been called on to do it, he's delivered. Even though his feet are constantly moving, he's not dancing like Trey. And there were times when Miyan tried to bulldoze into the LOS before something opened, and then has to bounce outside where his speed is a detriment horizontally. There has to be something going on with Hayden at practice. Ball security? Or perhaps he's just a poor practice player, but shows up on Saturdays. But as long as they keep winning, I guess I don't care who they put back there. :ROFLMAO: Well, as long as Maserati Marv and Honda McCord keep that connection.

And to add to the clunkiness, IMO, he's using the wrong backs to do the right things. I'm clearly no coach, so this is just my opinion. Lol. But Hayden seems to hit those vertical gaps so much better than the other RB's. Every time he's been called on to do it, he's delivered. Even though his feet are constantly moving, he's not dancing like Trey. And there were times when Miyan tried to bulldoze into the LOS before something opened, and then has to bounce outside where his speed is a detriment horizontally. There has to be something going on with Hayden at practice. Ball security? Or perhaps he's just a poor practice player, but shows up on Saturdays. But as long as they keep winning, I guess I don't care who they put back there. :ROFLMAO: Well, as long as Maserati Marv and Honda McCord keep that connection.
Word is that Hayden struggles in pass pro. We saw Chip whiff on that one corner blitz that resulted in a sack early, but he was rock solid the rest of the game, as was Williams. That's what is holding Hayden back. If he is in there teams will know he is running it - and that becomes a problem.

Let's give a little praise to the OL. They have been good in pass pro and are starting to figure out the run blocking about half of the time. They are improving and heading toward serviceable. :)

I also am not a coach. I couldn't coach dogs to bark. I don't have the patience for it.

Next up for the Buckeyes is a road trip to Camp Randall to face the 5-2 Badgers who are in first place in the Big 10 West.

Will the combination of Halloween and the night game atmosphere at Camp Randall be an obstacle.

Will former Buckeye Luke Fickell have some secret sauce and extra motivation when he faces his former team?

Thoughts?
Similar vibes to the 2017 Iowa game that also came the week after a home win over a top 10 Penn State. Day hasn’t lost to an unranked opponent yet though so I’m giving him the benefit until proven otherwise. Meyer’s last 3 years he lost to an unranked opponents on the road each season.

Last edited:

Thoughts?
I've watched Wisky all year because they were on the schedule and because I like Luke.

For Wisconsin to even play Ohio St close, 18 miraculous things would all have to happen in almost perfect order. They just don't have enough on either side of the ball.

OSU needs to play hard, execute adequately and not turn the ball over 6 times, and they will roll out of Madison with a win.

I hope the Buckeyes start fast, take their belief and hope early, and dominate. But just win.

This will be the way it will be the next 4 weeks until THE GAME.

Amen!

I get it a little - a TD there essentially wins the game the way the defense was playing. But 3 would give you a 7 point lead. Take the 3. And make it a 2 score lead in a later possession.

I swear, these analytics things makes me want to punch someone in the face - probably Jim Harbaugh. :)
That wasn’t about analytics. It was about how well our D was playing and how crappy their offense was. Just need to call a play that works.

Pretty sure Day is a control freak. Won’t let his OC call the plays and absolutely will not let his QBs run at any time during the regular season. Stroud and McCord are athletic enough to take off and that can be such a weapon ala a QB like Burrow. I get that he doesn’t want them injured but in big games he needs to take the leash off

That wasn’t about analytics. It was about how well our D was playing and how crappy their offense was. Just need to call a play that works.
I think all of that was involved.

But I strongly suspect that there was a GA up in the box saying, "we should go for it here based on the numbers." However, I maintain that you kick the FG to get the lead to 7. In a low scoring game, that 7 means that if the Lions stumbled onto some offensive success, the worst thing that happens is you are tied.

They ended up kicking the FG on their next scoring drive. Two FGs would have accomplished the same thing as scoring a TD on that 4th down - namely, a two score lead.

But it wasn't the worst call I've ever seen. As you note, the defense was playing well and forced a punt resulting in Ohio St continuing the drive around midfield.

Still, they get to a double digit lead sooner and increase their margin if they had just taken the 3. FWIW

Pretty sure Day is a control freak. Won’t let his OC call the plays and absolutely will not let his QBs run at any time during the regular season. Stroud and McCord are athletic enough to take off and that can be such a weapon ala a QB like Burrow. I get that he doesn’t want them injured but in big games he needs to take the leash off
I would argue that every head coach at a big time program is a control freak. Those that aren't become ex- coaches at big time programs. Lol.

McCord is essential to achieving their goals. If he gets hurt, we are down to, who? Gebbia? Maybe the frosh from S Dakota. Gulp!

I'm sure McCord is being told to avoid running except in very specific circumstances.

I would argue that every head coach at a big time program is a control freak. Those that aren't become ex- coaches at big time programs. Lol.

McCord is essential to achieving their goals. If he gets hurt, we are down to, who? Gebbia? Maybe the frosh from S Dakota. Gulp!

I'm sure McCord is being told to avoid running except in very specific circumstances.
Hence my use of the “in big games line” and if Gebbia is your back up your in trouble anyway. McCord had a few chances to run against PSU and wouldn’t do it. Same with Stroud last year until his absolute last game and when he did run it almost won them a natty. Justin Field did it all the time. Can’t play in fear is my point

McCord has happy feet. Some QB with this disease turn and run and the chance of a passing play goes away. In McCord's case he dances stays locked on one receiver, has a real problem going away from number one and checking down to find the open receiver. TV fails to show this since it does not show the whole field on the screen. McCord misses many open receivers to throw the pass to. My advice to McCord settle down and learn to move threw your progressions because that is why more than one receiver is going out for a pass. When number one is covered number two or three could be wide open.

Last edited:
Hence my use of the “in big games line” and if Gebbia is your back up your in trouble anyway. McCord had a few chances to run against PSU and wouldn’t do it. Same with Stroud last year until his absolute last game and when he did run it almost won them a natty. Justin Field did it all the time. Can’t play in fear is my point
I'm not really arguing with you.

I think the only thing is that the way the game played out, they didn't need McCord to put himself at risk by running to win. If they did need that, and he still didn't do it, then your point is an excellent one. And I suspect that if he had to do that, he would have.

Justin Fields got hurt running the ball. Against Wisconsin he landed hard on his sacroiliac joints and had to leave the game for a period of time - but he was tough and played through it. Against Clemson, Skalski tried to break his ribs and kill him. Running the QB has a big upside, but it comes with big risks - particularly when your starter can achieve your goals and the backups probably can't. FWIW.

McCord has happy feet. Some QB with this disease turn and run and the chance of a passing play goes away. In McCord's case he dances stays locked on one receiver, has a real problem going away from number one and checking down to find the open receiver. TV fails to show this since it does not show the whole field on the screen. McCord misses many open receivers to throw the pass to. My advice to McCord settle down and learn to move threw your progressions because that is why more than one receiver is going out for a pass. When number one is covered number two or three could be wide open.

I’d settle for throwing it away rather than taking a sack

I’d settle for throwing it away rather than taking a sack
How many times has he tried to thread the needle into a crowd with different colored jerseys on and we have had to breath a sigh of relief that it fell incomplete and was not intercepted and across the field we had a receiver running free and clear. Progression! Progression! learning to do this quickly is the answer to becoming a high draft pick in the pros. If you can't do it in the college game you will surely not do it in the much faster pro game.

This does have trap game written all over it. Washington's close call last week is another example of how these are still young adults that can lose focus in an instance. Camp Randall at night is never easy and this is basically Fickell's best chance to make a statement, I also suspect every big name recruit he is after will be at this one if for anything to take in a cool game for free.