IVC 22-23

One thing I have learned that I have a high degree of confidence in is that there is only one investigation going on and that one is being done by an independent law firm hired by the school district. That has implications to the credibility of the accusations of a cover up. Lol.

As far as anyone knows, that investigation is still on-going and the final conclusions and recommendations have not been given to the school district. It is unknown whether any other investigations will result from the independent investigation. It is very unlikely that the public will ever know the details and conclusions of the final report, especially if no other investigations are spawned by this one. Those inside the program are hoping to see this thing finalized and resolved as soon as possible.
Wow. If they are bringing in an outside law firm this must be pretty big. If there is an investigation I'm surprised none of the news stations or papers have reported it. Massillons investigation was all over the news and football form

Wow. If they are bringing in an outside law firm this must be pretty big. If there is an investigation I'm surprised none of the news stations or papers have reported it. Massillons investigation was all over the news and football form
I'm speculating, but I believe the reason they did an independent investigation was because there were accusations of cover up off the bat. I don't think it's all that "big", but if someone thinks it is and is accusing you of minimizing it, this is how you protect yourself as an organization. I do think it is serious and is being treated and handled as such.

The law firm isn't leaking and the adults employed by the school are, understandably, very tight-lipped for privacy reasons and to not feed the wild gossip machine.

What leaks out will be from kids who were there through anyone they have shared their impressions with. It appears they have been relatively quiet as well - but not completely.

Let's say a rumor goes around that a girl was raped, but the truth is that she was mildly groped. The false rumor is "big" and a serious crime. The truth is still serious - girls should not be groped. I give that example to put this event into the context I think it belongs in. FWIW

If kids are blabbing, their parents are blabbing, fans are blabbing, and coaches and school officials are blabbing - you might get a situation such as the Massillon one.

I'm speculating, but I believe the reason they did an independent investigation was because there were accusations of cover up off the bat. I don't think it's all that "big", but if someone thinks it is and is accusing you of minimizing it, this is how you protect yourself as an organization. I do think it is serious and is being treated and handled as such.

The law firm isn't leaking and the adults employed by the school are, understandably, very tight-lipped for privacy reasons and to not feed the wild gossip machine.

What leaks out will be from kids who were there through anyone they have shared their impressions with. It appears they have been relatively quiet as well - but not completely.

Let's say a rumor goes around that a girl was raped, but the truth is that she was mildly groped. The false rumor is "big" and a serious crime. The truth is still serious - girls should not be groped. I give that example to put this event into the context I think it belongs in. FWIW

If kids are blabbing, their parents are blabbing, fans are blabbing, and coaches and school officials are blabbing - you might get a situation such as the Massillon one.
Any word on how the investigation is going or is it concluded?

Any word on how the investigation is going or is it concluded?
Crickets.

Honestly, if when this investigation ends, no other processes are started, and that's the end of the matter, I think the only way we are going to have any idea of what the consequences are is to see who is on the team and who is and isn't playing. But even then, there will be no way to know everything that was specially done or not done to resolve the matter.

I'm sure that will not satisfy everyone, but I'm OK with it. I'm not part of the problem and haven't been asked to be part of the solution. So, I don't need to know and I trust that some really fine people in leadership over there will try to do what is best for all the kids involved.

Crickets.

Honestly, if when this investigation ends, no other processes are started, and that's the end of the matter, I think the only way we are going to have any idea of what the consequences are is to see who is on the team and who is and isn't playing. But even then, there will be no way to know everything that was specially done or not done to resolve the matter.

I'm sure that will not satisfy everyone, but I'm OK with it. I'm not part of the problem and haven't been asked to be part of the solution. So, I don't need to know and I trust that some really fine people in leadership over there will try to do what is best for all the kids involved.

I thought this was over, but I don't think it is even close to done. One of my buddies at worked showed me the letter that was sent home to the parents telling about the ongoing investigation.
He also showed me that Carl Munday from Fox 8 wants to interview people. There is definitely a lot more going on then I originally thought.
I think this has a long ways to go.

@GREATGHS

Was told by what I consider a very reliable source very recently that the independent investigation is concluding. If that investigation indicates no crime was committed, then there will be school discipline. If it concludes a crime was committed, that will result a legal process going forward. Regardless, my source has reasons to expect that the entire process will be concluded by the 1st of Dec.

Again, if the more severe narrative is true, then I can see why good ole Carl from channel 8 is sniffing around - but I don't think it is completely true. If Carl wants to do a hit piece, he can interview a purveyor of that narrative, he will get "no comment" from the school district, and the implication is what it is. But if he does journalism, he would need to interview witnesses and the only ones free to do that would be players or their parents, and I would strongly caution against that.

The press has a story to sell and they tend to edit any remarks you make to support the story they are telling. At best they will take a less than full context comment to meet the need of appearing to give the other side. Without corroboration, the story will (or should) die because it will not have a rebuttal to the assertion or validation of the story due the privacy protections afforded to the minors involved. FWIW

@GREATGHS

Was told by what I consider a very reliable source very recently that the independent investigation is concluding. If that investigation indicates no crime was committed, then there will be school discipline. If it concludes a crime was committed, that will result a legal process going forward. Regardless, my source has reasons to expect that the entire process will be concluded by the 1st of Dec.

Again, if the more severe narrative is true, then I can see why good ole Carl from channel 8 is sniffing around - but I don't think it is completely true. If Carl wants to do a hit piece, he can interview a purveyor of that narrative, he will get "no comment" from the school district, and the implication is what it is. But if he does journalism, he would need to interview witnesses and the only ones free to do that would be players or their parents, and I would strongly caution against that.

The press has a story to sell and they tend to edit any remarks you make to support the story they are telling. At best they will take a less than full context comment to meet the need of appearing to give the other side. Without corroboration, the story will (or should) die because it will not have a rebuttal to the assertion or validation of the story due the privacy protections afforded to the minors involved. FWIW

I thought this was nothing, but now after seeing the letter the school sent home, I'm not sure what it is.
Can someone answer this, is it normal for school board to hold their meetings at 7:30am? I would think you would want to hold them in the evenings so the public could attend. But I don't know how schools work

I thought this was nothing, but now after seeing the letter the school sent home, I'm not sure what it is.
Can someone answer this, is it normal for school board to hold their meetings at 7:30am? I would think you would want to hold them in the evenings so the public could attend. But I don't know how schools work
I think this is several things. One of the things is it is about an incident involving a few students. I don't think it is the worst story that is out there, but no one is saying that it is nothing. So, it is something. Probably something fairly serious, but not as serious as the original rumors. Another thing that is out there is an investigation. Doing that right always takes more time than many people have the patience for. The other thing it involves is people who do not trust the system, the people running the system, or the process. When you have that, a super and board have to be very, very careful to not complicate or make a difficult process worse.

There are laws that govern school board meetings. They must be announced ahead of time. But boards are allowed to meet in executive session and discuss things out of the public eye.

On something like this, the board's job is to simply accept the report of the independent investigation and either refer the matter to another authority for adjudication and/or decide what action the school district will take on it. The sausage of something like that is made in executive session, but the presentation of it and voting on it will be done in a public meeting - and interested parents and parties are allowed to comment.

Just started reading this thread. What has happened? What's the investigation for? Is the OHSAA doing an investigation?
To answer the question about schools boards, my wife said her school has their board meetings at 6pm so the public can attend. She has never heard of board meetings at 7:30 in the morning, unless it's for executive session to discuss legal matters or employees. But that's just her school.

Just started reading this thread. What has happened? What's the investigation for? Is the OHSAA doing an investigation?
To answer the question about schools boards, my wife said her school has their board meetings at 6pm so the public can attend. She has never heard of board meetings at 7:30 in the morning, unless it's for executive session to discuss legal matters or employees. But that's just her school.
Why should the OHSAA be doing an investigation? From what's been posted here, the alleged situation appears to have nothing to do with a violation of any OHSAA bylaws.

Does anyone think that anybody in the IVC in 23-24 can hang with Malvern? They return everyone from a team that only lost 2 games all year including the tournament. Do they have a legitimate shot to reach Columbus?

Does anyone think that anybody in the IVC in 23-24 can hang with Malvern? They return everyone from a team that only lost 2 games all year including the tournament. Do they have a legitimate shot to reach Columbus?
It’s Dayton. Also depends on their draw for regionals I’d expect an easy district title.

Why should the OHSAA be doing an investigation? From what's been posted here, the alleged situation appears to have nothing to do with a violation of any OHSAA bylaws.
Yeah you're right. I've been reading all the post, I'm kinda late to the party. Yeah doesn't seem like anything the OHSAA would be involved in.

I would love to see in the IVC showcase a Hiland vs Malvern matchup,I guess we will see how things go for both teams, in the up and coming season

I do wish we could play malvern and Strasburg I don't like it how it's set up now but really hoping to play malvern at least. We do ha e a very tough schedule ottowa glandorf Lutheran east west virgina Miller city so far hope we ad more games and there ain't no susspestions.

Yes the OHSAA won't be involved. Nothing involving OHSAA rules. Sounds like the school is just trying to get the bball program under control making sure there is discipline in the locker room and that the locker room is being monitored. But who really knows.

I do wish we could play malvern and Strasburg I don't like it how it's set up now but really hoping to play malvern at least. We do ha e a very tough schedule ottowa glandorf Lutheran east west virgina Miller city so far hope we ad more games and there ain't no susspestions.
Who's the team from West Virginia,I did see on MaxPreps we are playing Spire Academy from up around Geneva at home the first game

Linsely wheeling we are playing I think garaway played them last year. I was hoping for another team before the spire team thought we started before December? We are playing at dover that should be a good game.

According to MaxPreps we open with Spire Academy on December 1, when is the date for the Linsly Academy game, I know Garaway played them last season at CV showcase

The date is 2/3 on a Saturday I think it's a 6:00 pm is the start. We must have a later start this year last year was earlier. I hope we pick up more games seams like a shorter schedule I wish we play at the cotton valley showcase.

I think a lot of the IVC this year could be determined by what the investigation finds. If anything happens to coaches and players. Once again that's IF.

Special sessions are Not open to the public and I’m sure the school board is Not ready for a circus just yet !

Special sessions are Not open to the public and I’m sure the school board is Not ready for a circus just yet !
East Holmes has had their board meetings in the morning for a while and yes they are open to the public. My understanding was that for years not many people showed up so they switched to mornings a while ago for convenience to the members. I could be wrong but that was my understanding. The kids investigation is complete but there are now appeals is what i was told.

East Holmes has had their board meetings in the morning for a while and yes they are open to the public. My understanding was that for years not many people showed up so they switched to mornings a while ago for convenience to the members. I could be wrong but that was my understanding. The kids investigation is complete but there are now appeals is what i was told.
Interesting. If there are appeals, then it sounds like the findings might have been in favor of the victim. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I still don't know if it was just one player or multiple players? I know the one player involved so just not sure if it was only one.

So that means there was no susspestions or maybe just a short suspension?
Could be that maybe the wrong people were suspended. They could be throwing other people under the bus to save other people. Was it just players involved or did it go beyond players? Still could be a while till it all comes out.