Wayne/Springfield.... enough is enough

I don't have an easy answer for this, so I'll espouse some hard ones, because once someone gets killed over one of these incidents you can rest assured the OHSAA will impose one and the punishment will be on the teams/schools and it will be really harsh.
1) If a brawl incident breaks out while the game is still in progress, security should inform the coaches and officials and STOP the game immediately.
An announcement should follow that the game will not restart until all parties are dispersed and returned to their seats and order is restored. No compliance? Game is cancelled and both teams receive a forfeit loss.
2) If brawl is after the game, a short, thorough investigation should follow and if the incident is severe enough (i.e. multiple parties engaged in actual physical violence, both teams receive a forfeit and the perpetrating side gets the official loss. Nobody wins.
The implication of policies like this will hopefully provide incentive to both the instigators/perpetrators to not risk causing their team to lose and will vicariously incite the other fans to police their own and encourage the perpetrators to "stand down" or watch your team get a loss.
The alternative, as Vamps has outlined, is the 2 teams no longer play each other. No justice in that.
I actually think this would further encourage this behavior.

My team just lost and I really don't like the other team, lets go beat on a few opposing fans so their team has to forfeit the game too.

Same outcome as the zero tolerance for fights policies within schools. There is no incentive to just walk away because you are getting punished too.

Yes!!! I think all inner city schools should play days games nobody knows how to act. It sucks for the kids because everybody always wants to play under The lights on Friday night but into students/parents understand that they actions impact the kids it will always be problems and to harsh penalties are enforced.
So what do you do about suburban schools like the ones mentioned here and the one in the do you feel safe thread? Reading these posts and some on other threads a few of you guys would probably vote segregation back in if you didn’t think it would hurt your team’s chances at a championship.

Why is everyone making this a big deal. It's really blown out of proportion. The media blew it up. It was a scuffle with kids. There was no arrests. No one questioned. Nothing. 99 was called because it was to many people for the officers there. Called it out in caution to stop before it got bigger and worse. Nothing to big. Those saying move it to a day game? What's the difference? Do kids not fight when the suns out or something? Kids being kids. This has been going on for years between Springfield and wayne. Even outside sports. They fight each other. Like two brothers together. They fight sometimes but makeup later. Stop making this bigger than what it is.

Why is everyone making this a big deal. It's really blown out of proportion. The media blew it up. It was a scuffle with kids. There was no arrests. No one questioned. Nothing. 99 was called because it was to many people for the officers there. Called it out in caution to stop before it got bigger and worse. Nothing to big. Those saying move it to a day game? What's the difference? Do kids not fight when the suns out or something? Kids being kids. This has been going on for years between Springfield and wayne. Even outside sports. They fight each other. Like two brothers together. They fight sometimes but makeup later. Stop making this bigger than what it is.

No, this was different as you had a crap load of kids running full speed with no regard to the safety of elderly fans trying to leave in order to see the fights. All it takes is one kid to pull out a gun and then who knows how many more have them and the shooting starts. There is a difference between a couple of kids slugging it out which happened all the time when I was a kid then what happened Friday night.

I have no idea what the media reported if you can leave a link to the story I would be interested in reading it.

No, this was different as you had a crap load of kids running full speed with no regard to the safety of elderly fans trying to leave in order to see the fights. All it takes is one kid to pull out a gun and then who knows how many more have them and the shooting starts. There is a difference between a couple of kids slugging it out which happened all the time when I was a kid then what happened Friday night.

I have no idea what the media reported if you can leave a link to the story I would be interested in reading it.
Se you blowing it out of proportion. There was no guns. There was nothing. But kids rushing to see a whatever was going on. There was nothing there Evidently because no arrests or anyone Detained or tickets. No one taken into custody. No one cuffed. You saying all kids carry guns and pull them out all the time? If you don't feel safe don't go out. But don't sit here and hype up a situation that was nothing. It happens all the time in this series and never got serious. Just pushing and talking. Maybe punch or two but nothing more. Not one elderly person was in any kind of trouble or close to it. So you stop making it more than what it is. This the problem.YOU!!! PEOPLE LIKE YOU!!!

That shows players going at it. It's a brutal sport. Very high emotions. Lots of competitiveness. It happens on field that's where it stays with players. They friends next day. We talking off the field. It happens. It's just in the media more now. It's all they report the bad.
However, video of the incident -- which Delta State head coach Todd Cooley shared on his X social media account -- also showed fans along the home sideline apparently getting involved in the dustup."

Se you blowing it out of proportion. There was no guns. There was nothing. But kids rushing to see a whatever was going on. There was nothing there Evidently because no arrests or anyone Detained or tickets. No one taken into custody. No one cuffed. You saying all kids carry guns and pull them out all the time? If you don't feel safe don't go out. But don't sit here and hype up a situation that was nothing. It happens all the time in this series and never got serious. Just pushing and talking. Maybe punch or two but nothing more. Not one elderly person was in any kind of trouble or close to it. So you stop making it more than what it is. This the problem.YOU!!! PEOPLE LIKE YOU!!!

So you stripped search everyone in there to know nobody had a gun. Not reported but a Wayne kid was caught with a gun at the basketball game ... believe me.... someone at that game had a gun.

Yes, I witness the rush as I got caught in it and yes there was no regard for elderly fans and saw some get bumped into. I was worried about getting knocked over and I am not in the greatest of health so if I did fall I would be in trouble. I've been going to games since the 70's and I have seen a lot of crap. Friday night was different. You have your opinion I have mine.

The problem is people turning a blind eye and not taking care of a problem before it escalates. If you had zero issues from Friday night then you are the problem.

However, video of the incident -- which Delta State head coach Todd Cooley shared on his X social media account -- also showed fans along the home sideline apparently getting involved in the dustup."
Ok it happens. You want a perfect world? This stuff happens. It's just everyone is so damn sensitive now they make everything a huge deal. This happened all time in past. Nothing said because no big deal. Now it's a different soft world with soft sensitive people. No one hurt no one harmed. No big deal.

Can't live your life scared of what ifs. If you scared don't go. And I believe the kids in both those instances where students of that school or the other. Guns are out there. Anyone can be carrying anywhere. Can happen any time. If you scared stay locked up inside or carry yourself and defend yourself. But you can't thus could've happened or that could've happened. It didn't. Get over it.

This was not on either of the coaches. In the past it was an issue with Douglass's teams. Whenever they weren't good enough to just line up and beat you on the field you could tell his players were coached to instigate fights. This game on the field was actually a very clean game. Not a lot of jawing and fighting after plays, and both teams were shaking hands on the field at the end without incident. Fights started in the Wayne crowd, spilled into the entrance area near the parking lot, and then eventually into the parking lot.

The real root cause is a bunch of kids and some adults behaving stupidly, and you are never going to fix stupid. A lot of this could have been prevented with better planning by Wayne and increased police and security presence at this particular game. The entrance/exit to the field is too narrow. Create a second entrance and exit for visiting fans. Put barriers and security between the two entrances to prevent people from crossing back and forth between the sides during the games which is how this started. There are better solutions that are not that complicated than just just banning fans/students.
How do you coach to instigate fights? I've seen a lot silly, simple unthought of, even racist comments on Yappi but this is the dumbest sh.......t I've ever seen on Yappi in 17 years.

It's not blowing it out of proportion. Fights break the law and are dangerous to those around them, because someone could have had a weapon or an innocent passerby could have gotten injured accidentally. Just because nobody was handcuffed, arrested, or charged doesn't mean nothing happened. Quite frankly, the fact that nobody got arrested is the reason these incidents keep happening. There aren't any consequences anymore for anything unless you kill someone. Violence, theft, burglary, drugs all don't mean squat. It started when judges were letting guilty parties off essentially consequence free with "community service" for heinous crimes. Then prosecutors stopped charging people due to the lack of punishments. Now cops don't bother arresting people because it's a lot of paperwork, and they know absolutely nothing will happen, especially with minors.

We are living in strange times.

How do you coach to instigate fights? I've seen a lot silly, simple unthought of, even racist comments on Yappi but this is the dumbest sh.......t I've ever seen on Yappi in 17 years.
He does coach it, I've seen it first hand. He teaches it by being in the middle of the field yelling at the other team to come fight his team and calls them names when they don't. His team follows his lead.

He does coach it, I've seen it first hand. He teaches it by being in the middle of the field yelling at the other team to come fight his team and calls them names when they don't. His team follows his lead.
It must be true then since YOU were down on the field and heard it my bad, it does seem kind of odd that he would just randomly yell at the other team as if the other coach was standing there doing nothing, if that's even true, call them names and challenge them to a fight. Wow! I wonder why he's never been in trouble for that. That is grounds for suspension or maybe even not coach again, that's usually what happens when a coach's conduct is that bad.

I do have a question though, The 8 playoff teams including the 4 teams that played in the state championship (state champs in 11' 15-0) he COACHED at the aforementioned notorious for fighting Trotwood and the past two Springfield teams that finished runner-up in the "vaunted" D1 state finals, I'm sure they "followed his lead" as well, were they coached to fight? What about the 5 teams that lost in the state finals? Why didn't they fight after a huge loss? I never heard anything about Twood or Sfield being unruly after those games.

Furthermore, how do you keep a any job with that type of behavior especially as a leader of young men? That leads me to believe he must be doing something right.? IDK, maybe you guys are right. :unsure: 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
If a coach especially coach Mo stood in middle of field and told a team to come fight OHSAA would be down the same night demanding for him to be fired

Have you read everyone of my posts over the last 17 years. I thought I had that honor... lol .... I got come up with something to put me back on top again....

Played against Douglass teams multiple times as a player. Had his whole team come out to confront us at midfield as we ran on the field, and witnessed it happen during other seasons. I can't say definitively that direction came from him, but hard to think that it didn't. There was a reason Trotwood was mediocre for years before he had success and it was because he actively promoted extra curricular stuff from the sideline and his teams were undisciplined. Douglass talked as much trash to the opposing teams players from the sideline as anyone on the field. We were coached during preparation for Trotwood to keep our composure because they were going to try to start fights before the game, during the game and after the game (and every time we played them that turned out to be true). Douglass cried that the refs were racist whenever we beat them even though 80 to 90% of our team was black. You're talking about a guy who was suspended twice for recruiting/pressuring teachers to change grades in his early years at Trotwood. Suspended another time for publicly criticizing officials. He was kept around despite all of his antics because he had support from players and parents because he would get a high number of players recruited even when their team results were bad. Once he toned all of that down he started having success. For the most part, he seems to have cleaned up his act these days.

I apologize for not articulating my thought better initially, if you need me to explain anything else in the future please just ask. I'll make it as simple as I can for you.

Last edited:
OHSAA would have no authority to make such a demand.
You radically underestimate the "authority" of the governing "authority" (OHSAA) for all Ohio high school sports participants. No, they couldn't fire him, he's under contract with Springfield city schools, but they would sure as hel suspend his arse. If these sorts of incidents keep happening the OHSAA WILL Act. Count on it. And they won't give a dam whether you dislike their authority.

Have you read everyone of my posts over the last 17 years. I thought I had that honor... lol .... I got come up with something to put me back on top again....
Vamps just so you know. There where no fights what so ever. Not one single fight at all. Like I said it's the media blowing this up and people not really knowing what's going on. Yes I do know the truth because it was sent out to all parents about what happen.

You radically underestimate the "authority" of the governing "authority" (OHSAA) for all Ohio high school sports participants. No, they couldn't fire him, he's under contract with Springfield city schools, but they would sure as hel suspend his arse. If these sorts of incidents keep happening the OHSAA WILL Act. Count on it. And they won't give a dam whether you dislike their authority.
That's a different question. The assertion made that OHSAA would demand his firing. They do not have the authority to do that. Full stop.