Jake Furr Open Letter

My favorite part of his letter is this…

“In New Jersey, there is a youth baseball league that implemented a rule that any parent who confronts an umpire to suit up and ump three games before they are allowed to return as a spectator.”

I umpired for a few summers while in college. This rule would be outstanding!

Take a minute to read. Spot on article/open letter to parents.
Some of it seems to be pointed directly at certain situations in that area, but great letter. Unfortunately our world is never going back to where coaches were seen as father/mother figures and entrusted with helping raise kids. And teachers are in the same boat unfortunately.

Great article.

I chuckle when a board non-renews a sports coach, and that same coach continues to be a classroom teacher. Bobby's parents are mad so you can't teach him basketball anymore, but its ok to still teach him algebra.

Coaches need better protection.
That does present a bizarre twist.

Not a single parent that is an issue thinks they are an issue. Until people look in the mirror its a mute point to make unfortunately

Given the area he covers for The Mansfield News Journal, his commentary sounds eerily synchronous to the current situation playing out with Ontario basketball, and the recent happenings with Dave Carroll at Clear Fork. Methinks they are related. Lol.

Absolutely, we can all see many of these things play out in our own communities, in our own schools and maybe even in our own families.

I've often said when "some" parents get into a competitive sports situation with their kids, they transform into different people. I've seen some of the nicest people outside of sports, but you put them in a gym with a crowd and officials and they turn into raving lunatics.

I think people should do some self reflection before every season, and maybe more often, to really examine their behavior. I've seen so many kids who are so embarrassed by their parents/ grandparents behavior. Think about how it's perceived by them?

Great article.

I chuckle when a board non-renews a sports coach, and that same coach continues to be a classroom teacher. Bobby's parents are mad so you can't teach him basketball anymore, but its ok to still teach him algebra.

Coach's contracts are extra curricular, and annual by nature. This is good because the biggest misinformation out there is that high school coaches get fired. No they don't. Their supplemental contracts must be renewed annually. If a school decides to go a different direction, they just don't renew the coach. Much cleaner and legal that way. Now a coach CAN get fired during their contract for certain big items, but for the most part it's a simple procedure. And it may or may not have anything to do with coaching. A coach could be a horse's butt and treat the kids horribly and win, and you get and administration and board who is more about participation and kids growing up differently, that coach may not be a great fit. If it's win at all costs - which it many times is - then they coach stays and kids can be mistreated.

The great thing is if you want to coach, you can coach. Anywhere, anytime, there are coaching jobs in your area. As long as you pass the background check, you would likely have a shot at being hired, and if there is no other candidates, you may get it by default.

I've never hid my dislike for Jake Furr, but much of what he said is quite correct. Unfortunately, he is preaching to the choir. Too many parents believe they have a say in every single aspect of running a basketball program on a daily basis and until school admins and BOE members stand up to them and tell them they don't...nothing will change.

Given the area he covers for The Mansfield News Journal, his commentary sounds eerily synchronous to the current situation playing out with Ontario basketball, and the recent happenings with Dave Carroll at Clear Fork. Methinks they are related. Lol.
Oh, they're definitely related. You could add the current situation with Mansfield Senior girls basketball to that list too.

Coach's contracts are extra curricular, and annual by nature. This is good because the biggest misinformation out there is that high school coaches get fired. No they don't. Their supplemental contracts must be renewed annually. If a school decides to go a different direction, they just don't renew the coach. Much cleaner and legal that way. Now a coach CAN get fired during their contract for certain big items, but for the most part it's a simple procedure. And it may or may not have anything to do with coaching. A coach could be a horse's butt and treat the kids horribly and win, and you get and administration and board who is more about participation and kids growing up differently, that coach may not be a great fit. If it's win at all costs - which it many times is - then they coach stays and kids can be mistreated.

The great thing is if you want to coach, you can coach. Anywhere, anytime, there are coaching jobs in your area. As long as you pass the background check, you would likely have a shot at being hired, and if there is no other candidates, you may get it by default.
By far the most difficult jobs to hire for are your Olympic sports. In my time as an athletic admin the hiring process for sports like XC, Swimming, Golf, Track, Tennis come down to simply can they pass the background check as you mentioned. And don't even get me started on middle school athletics. If you can find a young, ambitious middle school coach who wants to be involved in multiple sports you get them in your office asap and start signing HR documents immediately.

Football, basketball and baseball are a dime a dozen when it comes to resumes. Those positions you actually have to / get to conduct real interviews where you discuss philosophy, strategy, long term goals, weight room, etc....

Parents would be surprised to learn that when we hire a person and they're like how'd they get hired, well it's because maybe they were the only resume.....literally in many cases.

We're also seeing fewer and fewer teachers who want to tackle the job of teaching and coaching.

I've said on here multiple times in the last 3 years that we're seeing the beginning of the end of what high school sports use to be. I stick by my 10 year forecast (well now 7 year forecast) that high school sports in the USA will look more like what goes on in Europe or Japan with no scholastic affiliation, just club status.

It is a pain to get rid of a bad classroom teacher these days (collecting a salary + benefits). It is easy to get rid of a good HS sports coach (collecting a stipend that doesn't cover his gas).

One may argue...well we don't want it to be a pain to get rid of a poor HS sports coach....

Personally, I think it should be easy to remove bad teachers....especially when you look at our society and current public school systems. A good HS coach may be many kids last saving grace.

Overall, that is the problem I have.

It is a pain to get rid of a bad classroom teacher these days (collecting a salary + benefits). It is easy to get rid of a good HS sports coach (collecting a stipend that doesn't cover his gas).

One may argue...well we don't want it to be a pain to get rid of a poor HS sports coach....

Personally, I think it should be easy to remove bad teachers....especially when you look at our society and current public school systems. A good HS coach may be many kids last saving grace.

Thank the teachers union for that. Unions are good for solidarity, bad for getting rid of bad workers/ teachers.

By far the most difficult jobs to hire for are your Olympic sports. In my time as an athletic admin the hiring process for sports like XC, Swimming, Golf, Track, Tennis come down to simply can they pass the background check as you mentioned. And don't even get me started on middle school athletics. If you can find a young, ambitious middle school coach who wants to be involved in multiple sports you get them in your office asap and start signing HR documents immediately.

Football, basketball and baseball are a dime a dozen when it comes to resumes. Those positions you actually have to / get to conduct real interviews where you discuss philosophy, strategy, long term goals, weight room, etc....

Parents would be surprised to learn that when we hire a person and they're like how'd they get hired, well it's because maybe they were the only resume.....literally in many cases.

We're also seeing fewer and fewer teachers who want to tackle the job of teaching and coaching.

I've said on here multiple times in the last 3 years that we're seeing the beginning of the end of what high school sports use to be. I stick by my 10 year forecast (well now 7 year forecast) that high school sports in the USA will look more like what goes on in Europe or Japan with no scholastic affiliation, just club status.
I think first and foremost, schools need to proclaim that high school / middle school sports are extracurricular activities that the school sponsors in and attempt to keep students well rounded ( band/ choir/ theatre same). Therefore, these activities are for ALL students to tryout for. The goal of high school sports isn't to get kids athletic scholarships. This has been misinformation from the time I started paying attention. Athletic scholarships are few and far between, and also D3/ NAIA are NON athletic scholarship schools. These "letter of intent" signings are simply for show for the school/ college. There is no such thing as a letter of intent below D2. Actually, a good number of D2 athletes are walk ons or at best partial scholarships.
I'm not sure I see the day when there are no high school sports, I do see sports like golf, swimming, going away because of either lack of participation or a private entity taking them over. I just think the good things of having students in sports at school far outweigh the negatives. Simply put there are enough student-athletes who would be awful students if there was no sports for them to toe the line on.
Also back a few generations ago, teachers coached because it was money they needed. No one says it today but teachers are paid very well and do not need to coach to make ends meet.

I think first and foremost, schools need to proclaim that high school / middle school sports are extracurricular activities that the school sponsors in and attempt to keep students well rounded ( band/ choir/ theatre same). Therefore, these activities are for ALL students to tryout for. The goal of high school sports isn't to get kids athletic scholarships. This has been misinformation from the time I started paying attention. Athletic scholarships are few and far between, and also D3/ NAIA are NON athletic scholarship schools. These "letter of intent" signings are simply for show for the school/ college. There is no such thing as a letter of intent below D2. Actually, a good number of D2 athletes are walk ons or at best partial scholarships.
I'm not sure I see the day when there are no high school sports, I do see sports like golf, swimming, going away because of either lack of participation or a private entity taking them over. I just think the good things of having students in sports at school far outweigh the negatives. Simply put there are enough student-athletes who would be awful students if there was no sports for them to toe the line on.
Also back a few generations ago, teachers coached because it was money they needed. No one says it today but teachers are paid very well and do not need to coach to make ends meet.
No sure I follow your final comments there. Can you expound?

No sure I follow your final comments there. Can you expound?
Way back when, teachers were not paid well, but the time off was considered compensation and let's face it, public education is paid for by the taxpayers, so you have limited means. Most extracurriculars occur after school, so it just made sense to hire teachers to coach and it was supplemental income for them. Some coaches had little to no experience in the sports they coached, they just figured it out.

Now I will say the demand on "off season" stuff has exploded over the last 30 years and coaches are not paid anywhere near enough for the time allotted.

NAIA give athletic scholarships. Full and partial...............

Way back when, teachers were not paid well, but the time off was considered compensation and let's face it, public education is paid for by the taxpayers, so you have limited means. Most extracurriculars occur after school, so it just made sense to hire teachers to coach and it was supplemental income for them. Some coaches had little to no experience in the sports they coached, they just figured it out.

Now I will say the demand on "off season" stuff has exploded over the last 30 years and coaches are not paid anywhere near enough for the time allotted.

Yes, you are right on. Sports have been elevated and more is demanded of coaches...so if you are going to protect good or bad teachers...good or bad coaches should be protected as well.....

I'm guessing a good varsity coach who is invested in his program (meaning they got something going on outside all the time outside of the 60 day no contact period) is making $8-10/hr or less.

Yes, you are right on. Sports have been elevated and more is demanded of coaches...so if you are going to protect good or bad teachers...good or bad coaches should be protected as well.....

I'm guessing a good varsity coach who is invested in his program (meaning they got something going on outside all the time outside of the 60 day no contact period) is making $8-10/hr or less.
So history repeats itself right. So let's go back to the 50's-60's-70's, COLLEGE coaches made a modest salary, many taught a few classes to make ends meet, coached multiple sports, the most veteran coach often became the AD for more money. Move ahead to today, especially at the D1 major level, coaches ONLY coach one sport, don't teach any classes and if they are the head basketball or football coach, they may be the highest paid person on campus.
No doubt for longer tenured high school coaches, it's truly a labor of love.

Great article.

This definitely spot on! I always find it funny when Bobby not very good at Basketball but great at algebra!

Great article.

This is correct. Some parents can be uncontrollably passionate about their kids sports but care less about their level of education as long as they are getting one. Even though the education will take them much further.

It is extremely difficult to get rid of a tenured, certified, union membered teacher good or bad.